Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

General News, Questions And Discussions : Indian Navy

Discussion in 'Indian Navy' started by Ankit Kumar 001, Oct 23, 2016.

1. Pundrick

Pundrick Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Confusion for me as well, 32 SAM for both frigate and destroyer, how to differentiate ? And how will 32 SAM carrying frigate will defend a CBG from J-15 or JF-17 kind of threat ? Sorry to say this but we need at least 3 frigates in each CBG to secure our AC and other ships, which will be expensive.

Biggest question for me though : Why there isn't any scaled down model of P17A on public domain ?

2. GuardianRED

GuardianRED Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    L&T delivers 2 interceptor ships to Indian Coast Guard

Larsen & Toubro's (L&T) defence division delivered another two high speed ships to the Indian Coast Guard seven months ahead of schedule. This is part of the two contracts being executed by the company for design and construction of 54 interceptors to Indian Coast Guard. In an interview to CNBC-TV18, JD Patil, Senior VP and Head-Defence & Aerospace at Larsen & Toubro spoke at length about the contract being executed. There are 54 on orders; 34 of them are delivered, so we still have 20 more to go, he said. He further said that based on the current rate of delivery we should be out in exactly ten more quarters. On offshore petrol vessel front, he said its progressing well and will be in a position to launch the first ship sometime in September.

http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/bu...ptor-ships-to-indian-coast-guard-2363685.html

The interview is in the Link - Note : he is been asked abt the LHD tender a) nothing has progress b) he has given a time frame of 2 -3 coming months in which something substantial will be reported

@Gessler @randomradio @Abingdonboy @PARIKRAMA @vstol jockey @Agent_47 @Hellfire @MilSpec @Levina @Grevion

Sancho, Levina, Abingdonboy and 5 others like this.
  3. Hellfire

Hellfire Devil's Advocate Staff Member MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India

Great job. This will certainly create the 'atmosphere' for competition. I don't mind greed being the driving force lol

GSLV Mk III, Abingdonboy and nair like this.
  4. ashkum2278

ashkum2278 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    StratPost | Walkaround the Navy's IL-38 Sea Dragon

Sancho and GuardianRED like this.
  5. ashkum2278

Country Flag:
    India
    Walkaround the Indian Navy MIG 29K

Sancho, GuardianRED and Angel Eyes like this.
  6. ashkum2278

Country Flag:
    India
    Cool video of the MiG-29K during trials on the INS VIkramaditya

Sancho and GuardianRED like this.
  7. X_Killer

X_Killer Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India

another milestone achieved..

GuardianRED, Blackjay and GSLV Mk III like this.
  8. X_Killer

Country Flag:
    India
    India may agree to buy Japanese US-2i aircraft for $1.3 billion
    [​IMG]
    India may finally agree to buy the Japanese ShinMaywa US-2i amphibious aircraft in a deal worth $1.30 billion for the Navy during the visit of Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe during September 13-14.

The deal, it seems, got finalised during a meeting between former Defence Minister Arun Jaitley and Japanese Minister of Defence Itsunori Onodera during September 5-6 in Tokyo, sources told BusinessLine.

According to sources, Jaitley’s meeting with Onodera had been “fruitful” in the backdrop of Japan sweetening the deal by offering 10-15 per cent discount on each of the plan that cost over $100 million.

India plans to buy 12 of this search-and-rescue (SAR) maritime surveillance aircraft which the Indian Navy plans to deploy strategically at the Andaman and Nicobar Islands with the objective of carrying out patrols in the larger Indian Ocean Region (IOR).

However, the deal has been stuck for over seven years now due to the high cost of the planes. According to the agreed plan, the Ministry of Defence will be buying 12 planes off the shelf. Subsequently, at a later stage the government will be procuring 18 more that will be built in India under the ‘Make in India’ programme.

Next phase

“Building the plane here will be next phase of the deal. As of now the focus is on procuring the 12 planes in fly-away condition.

“This is because having a platform is an absolute necessity for the Navy. And there are few suppliers for this kind of an aircraft. This will be a great asset in protecting our interest in the IOR,” said an official, involved in the deal.

The deal, talks for which began around 2010, got a major boost when the Abe government decided to lift the ban on exporting Japanese arms to the world in April 2014.

Following this, during the last annual India-Japan Annual Summit in December 2015, both Abe and Prime Minister Narendra Modi agreed to expedite the US-2i programme.

“Defence cooperation with Japan remains a priority for us. I cannot prejudge what the outcome will be on US-2i during this visit because the outcome is under works now,” said Pranay Verma, Joint Secretary (East Asia), Ministry of External Affairs.

According to the joint statement that was issued post Jaitley’s visit to Japan, progress had been made in the field of defence equipment and technology cooperation including in the framework of the Joint Working Group on Defence Equipment and Technology Cooperation as well as regarding the cooperation on US-2 amphibious aircraft.

Rahul Gangal, Partner (Aerospace and Defence), Roland Berger, said: “While cost is one of the factors, there is also a strategic need to acquire these planes. I believe the deal should be expeditiously signed.”

Sancho and Angel Eyes like this.
  9. shaktimaan

shaktimaan Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    i dont think there is immediate need for this aircraft...instead mod should negotitate for Kawasaki C-2 for IAF

Sancho likes this.
  10. X_Killer

Country Flag:
    India
    This deal will act as a kick-start of Japanese co-ordination in defense deals.
    Once this deal will be locked than more deal will smoothly flow in pipeline, either its C-2 or soryu class sub and many other defense equipments too...

We just have to wait n' watch...

Angel Eyes likes this.
  11. Ankit Kumar 001

Ankit Kumar 001 Major Technical Analyst

Country Flag:
    India
    Huh. "Senior Official".

Mr Senior official, US2 doesn't feature in any of the 3+ lists handed over to MoD/PMO under "Very Critical Requirements " in past couple of years.

It's a luxury, not a necessity !

Flyboy! and Sancho like this.
  12. Fat Bandit

Fat Bandit IDF NewBie

Country Flag:
    India
    If I was IN I would aim for two things from Japan. Kwasaki P-1 and Soryu's.

13. Angel Eyes

Angel Eyes 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    This could be a major force multiplier in anti submarine and anti surface warfares loaded with torpedoes and anti ship missiles.

14. Sancho

Sancho Lt. Colonel Technical Analyst

It doesn't have any attack capability. Only meant for transport troops and partially SAR. A big waste of money.

Blackjay likes this.
  15. shaktimaan

shaktimaan Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Why P-1 ? when we have P-8