Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

General News, Questions And Discussions : Indian Navy

Discussion in 'Indian Navy' started by Ankit Kumar 001, Oct 23, 2016.

1. Gessler

Gessler Mod MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    They don't. In fact the two newest ships in that class already got BrahMos in a single 8-cell UVLM. The oldest (INS Rajput) has got 4 x BrahMos in inclined tube launchers.

It doesn't make sense to me to upgrade the remaining 2 Rajputs with BrahMos in near future. These ships are over 30 years old and I'd think we would decommission these ships within next 10 years. I don't think they will undergo another major refit within the short time they have left.

Which is why I was confused when Hellfire said R-class will receive BrahMos upgrade. I was thinking only Delhi would receive Brahmos and couldn't understood why he called Delhi as R-class.

Any idea when this upgrade/refit/SLEP could happen?

Also - what do you think Delhi Upgrade could incorporate? You think they'll go all the way and install MFSTAR and Barak-8 to go with the BrahMos (or whatever Uran replacement is procured)?

A requirement for an MRAShM is also there. Although you're right I don't think it's a tender yet.

https://www.livefistdefence.com/2017/08/indian-navy-floats-new-anti-ship-missile-contest.html

Bloom 17, GSLV Mk III and PARIKRAMA like this.
  2. Hellfire

Hellfire Devil's Advocate Staff Member MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India

As @Agent_47 mentioned, it is the Rajput Class indeed.

3. GSLV Mk III

GSLV Mk III Captain FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Sir, nearly all those vessels are 30-35 years old. Wouldn't those ships be decommissioned as Vishakapatanam class destroyers are inducted?

Hellfire likes this.
  4. Agent_47

Agent_47 Admin - Blog Staff Member MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    DAC cleared the deal for 3 Delhi and 3 Talwar last year. Barak 8 is very unlikely brahmos is possible. Shtil SAMs will get upgraded to VLS.

https://www.rbth.com/economics/2015/06/23/india_keen_on_new_shtil-1_sams_for_navy_43811

Hellfire likes this.
  5. Hellfire

Hellfire Devil's Advocate Staff Member MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India

That shall be dependent on the pace of further inductions. The refit and upgrade in armament of Rajput class is significant and potent. These platforms will continue to provide potent firepower and dissuasive posturing in the IOR and SCS and beyond for at least next decade and a half. That is my understanding of the situation at present.

GSLV Mk III likes this.