Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

HAL / Hindustan aeronautics limited

Discussion in 'Indian Defence Industry' started by TSUNAMI, Nov 1, 2012.

1. TSUNAMI

TSUNAMI Captain SENIOR MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India

I think we should have a thread dedicated to HAL too. So, Starting with this promotional video

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2014
  2. Devil

Devil Captain SENIOR MEMBER

what have they achieved to deserve a thread :moil: i don't think they have been able to copy all we have already from other countries making something new by themselves is distance dream

3. TSUNAMI

TSUNAMI Captain SENIOR MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    ^^^Let Mods decide that.... :tup:

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  4. Devil

Devil Captain SENIOR MEMBER

i don't have problem with you or forum rules or mod what i am trying to say is i just don't like HAL achievement so far i think they should have achieved alot more

5. grond

grond Captain SENIOR MEMBER

HAL's baby steps into a major defence contractor

Hal launches its strategic electronics manufacturing unit to offer an Indian version for the global avionics market. This new facility is in Kerela. I'm sure this will increase the competition between the slug HAL and the tortoise BEL ... Your views on how it affects Indian defence industry..
    HAL

HAL’s Expansion into Avionics Offers New Indian Offset Options

AIN Defense Perspective » November 23, 2012

by Neelam Mathews

An Indian engineer performs a bench test of some avionics equipment. Government-owned Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd. is expanding its avionics capabilities. (Photo: HAL)

November 23, 2012, 7:20 AM

Government-owned Indian defense manufacturer Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd. (HAL) has launched a $12 million Strategic Electronics Manufacturing facility spread across 196 acres in Kasargod in the southern state of Kerala. It will produce advanced avionics for aircraft and helicopters. The facility is the manufacturing extension of HAL’s Hyderabad-based R&D unit for avionics–the Strategic Electronics Research and Design Center.

The new factory will make airborne special purpose systems, such as mission computers, display processors and radar computers for the Russian MiG-27 and Su-30 combat aircraft, and the Indian light combat aircraft (LCA). AIN has learned that a second-phase development of the new facility will start early next year. This will focus on indigenous projects such as the Software-defined radio and interrogate friend-or-foe (IFF) Mark XII. But it will also get involved in major defense acquisition projects, including the medium multi-role combat aircraft (MMRCA); electronically scanned array (AESA) radar and electronic warfare suites; the fifth-generation fighter aircraft (FGFA); multi-role transport aircraft (MTA); light utility helicopter (LUH); light combat helicopter (LCH), medium-lift helicopter (MLH) and unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV).

HAL’s new facilities will offer offset options to overseas OEMs. India’s defense procurement policy states that vendors can transfer technology to government institutions “engaged in manufacture and/or maintenance of eligible products and provision of eligible services.”

“Integration of software, hardware and firmware may be out of HAL’s realm for the moment and is likely to create some roadblocks on the way,” a domestic vendor cautioned. But HAL chairman R.K. Tyagi said the new facility would eventually lead to a “self-sustained independent division doing production and maintenance work for avionics and software-defined radios. The new factory…will help HAL take a big leap in aerospace equipment manufacturing.”

Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  6. Guynextdoor

Guynextdoor Major SENIOR MEMBER

Re: HAL's baby steps into a major defence contractor

Nice theory...except that this is HAL...and they opened it in Kerala...

7. grond

What's wrong with kerela ? Anyway just cause its in kerela doesn't mean that only mallu's will work there ....

8. WMD

WMD Captain SENIOR MEMBER

AFAIK the only major export hal has is the dhruv helicopter.

9. grond

It'll probably undercut Israeli avionics for similar systems...

10. GUNS-N- ROSES

GUNS-N- ROSES Major SENIOR MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India

indian defence reporting sucks big time and correspondents dont have iota of knowledge. wen will they stop giving sensationalist titles?

HAL has opened this new division because it is unable to support IAF in its present set up. the reporter says "HAL baby steps into a major defence contractor". wat a joke? 50 years of experience and still we r talking abt "baby steps".

as far as exports goes, let HAL first finish IAF orders first. does any one know HAL gets 50-60% of order without deleivering even a nut. its only surviving because defence sector is still under govt control.

11. grond

Actually that was me.... The reason why i said it was baby steps was to it being a global defence player... They are not bad you know... they have some intelligent people run by idiots and the interdepartmental ego between DRDo and HAL is just killing creativity.....
    The bold is the article i took it from

12. Guynextdoor

Guynextdoor Major SENIOR MEMBER

Always industrial unrest. Same happening even now with many defence facilities there (and of course, regular companies). No facility runs there even an inch. Look at TN- HVF Avadi- I don't think they've seen a single strike in 30-40 years of their existance.

13. GUNS-N- ROSES

GUNS-N- ROSES Major SENIOR MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India

every organisation has intelligent people but the problem lies in the work culture. HAL simply doesnt have the work culture of a modern aviation company. wen we were kids we heard story of a frog who used to swim in the pond. for him that pond was world/universe because he couldnt imagine existence of life outside that pond.

same is the case with HAL. if IAF gives a order of 1000 crores, it pays 500-600 crores in advance. HAL is happy with that. there is no drive to enhances technology or customer satisfaction. poor support to Su-30 is an indicator of that.

14. grond

Well, the public disinvestment was a good step to start with ... With more private players demanding their moneys worth ... I see the work ethic in HAL improving... And only recently have they come to hiring young and talented engineers as freshmen... These steps I see should inevitably lead for better ... I just hope the lazyboy culture of Hal is not transferred to the new plant....

15. j123456

j123456 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

nobody gives 50-60% advance payment . maximum 15-20% advance payment is there