Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

HAL / Hindustan aeronautics limited

Discussion in 'Indian Defence Industry' started by TSUNAMI, Nov 1, 2012.

1. bharathp

bharathp Developers Guild Developers -IT and R&D

Country Flag:
    India
    put your money - make yourself viable - you will get profit
    no more free money - which will not put pressure to deliver and lead to babudom,

2. layman

layman Aurignacian STAR MEMBER

Country Flag:
    United States
    FY 2016-17: HAL Turnover Soars to All Time High at Rs. 17,406 Crores; Receives Orders Worth Rs. 21,000 Crores
    (Source: Hindustan Aeronautics Limited; issued April 03, 2017)

BENGALURU, India --- HAL has achieved the highest-ever turnover of Rs.17,406 crores ($2.58 billion—Ed.) for the financial year ending March 31, 2017. “It is business as usual for us, with the Company doing well on expected lines. We also contributed around Rs.800 crores to the Government exchequer by way of interim dividend. This is in addition to Rs. 162 crores paid to Government as dividend tax. The PBT stood at Rs.3,294 crores,” said Mr. T. Suvarna Raju, CMD, HAL.

The company expects ‘Excellent’ MoU rating for the FY 2016-17 from the Government as it has met all the relevant parameters related to its performance. HAL’s total sales for the year 2015-16 stood at Rs.16,736 crores and the PBT was at Rs.3 288 crores.

Some of the highlights of the FY 2016-17 included production of 12 Su-30 MKI aircraft in Phase-IV, 24 ALH, overhauling of 197 aircraft / helicopters, 473 engines and production of 178 new aero-structures.

The Company received orders worth Rs. 21,000 crores ($3.1 billion) that included 12 Do-228 aircraft for the Indian Navy, 32 ALH for the Indian Navy and the Coast Guard and AL-31 FP engines for Su 30 MKI.

The year also witnessed maiden flight of HTT-40 and LUH in addition to carriage trials of LCA with fixed air to air refueling probe.

HAL attained 100% RPM for 25 KN turbofan engine (HTFE-25) and launched metal cutting for 1200kW turboshaft engine (HTSE 1200).

Source

Guynextdoor and Agent_47 like this.
  3. layman

layman Aurignacian STAR MEMBER

Country Flag:
    United States
    HAL will be ready to launch IPO by end of August: MD
    Published April 11, 2017
    SOURCE: MONEY CONTROL

[​IMG]

The long-awaited initial public offering (IPO) of Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) could finally see the light of day by the end of August, said Chairman and Managing Director T Suvarna Raju.

Speaking to CNBC-TV18, Raju said the IPO of the state-owned aerospace and defence company has been delayed as it required some concessions as far as putting data in the public domain was concerned.

“We will have to wait till the results of the past financial year are audited,” said Raju. “We should be ready (for the IPO) by July or August.”

At the Aero India 2017 a couple of months ago, he had said progress that was made on identification of Book Running Lead Managers and preparation of draft red herring prospectus and that necessary documents were in place.

Reports have long suggested that the company plans to divest 10% of its shareholding and go public, but it has been delayed for various reasons.

Source

GuardianRED likes this.
  4. Abingdonboy

Abingdonboy Major Technical Analyst

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    EOI has gone out for outsourcing the manufacture and assembly of the reduction gear module assembly

@Gessler @PARIKRAMA @Sancho @Hellfire @Agent_47 @MilSpec @Ankit Kumar 001 can you make sense of this for me:

Proposed requirement schedule by HAL
    [​IMG]

These are pretty vast numbers, so it's important to understand what a reduction gear module is (I have no idea), is 1 required per engine or 1 per helo? I assume the figures above include provision for spares also.

Anyway it gives a good indication of the LCH's production cycle- from 2018-19 it will start to be churned out in a serious manner and will very quickly come up to full speed (only 2 years later). Impressive stuff.

+ anyway, here is highlighted what utility there is in having high degrees of commonality across different systems not to mention having domestically designed systems.

++ as of now there are no proposed ALH orders for beyond 2022, I do expect this to change (ALH will be in production until 2030 I am sure of it).

5. Hellfire

Hellfire Devil's Advocate Staff Member MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    The major thrust in ALH is for Rudra variants. With units getting operationalised in the Strike Corps, we are increasingly getting an integrated air component at the Corps level now.

Expect further availability of Aviation assets at Corps level in next couple of years.

GSLV Mk III, Abingdonboy and Sancho like this.
  6. Gessler

Gessler Mod Staff Member MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    AFAIK, choppers have only one gearbox and if there are two engines, they both connect to the one gearbox only.

[​IMG]

However, I too am confused as to what exactly they mean by "Reduction gear module". I believe it could mean either a set of or a single gear wheel...

[​IMG]

...the numbers seem to make the most sense when we calculate them as 2 per helo (64+114 LCH = 356 gear modules as 2 per helo. 55 spares).

Either way this is a great catch and shows how LCH production is planned to ramp up in the years to come!

7. Abingdonboy

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    AFAIK the IA has an order for 75 Rudras as of now (with over 30 having been handed over to them thus far), couple this with the 260+ LCHs it is rumoured the IA are after, the 180 ALH they have and possibly the 39++ Apaches they have their eyes on (still?), this is a pretty mammoth expansion in the IA's aviation assets and capabilties in a very short span of time.

Further down the line there is a requirement from the IA to have 150 12+ ton MRHs (IMRH), this is going to have a transformational effect on India's warfighting capabilities, it truly will be one of the most devestating militaries on earth by the time all of these assets are in place.

The only thing that is going to detract from these capabilities is inter-service rivalry, if the IAF insists on having control of the Chinooks that will be transporting the IA's MSC and its integral arty assets (M777s) or maintaining an entirely seperate medium lift helo fleet (as seems likely given their huge orders for Mi-17 V5s) then the IA is going to be hampered.

As such, the need to move to tri-service theatre commands could not be more pressing.

Hellfire likes this.
  8. Hellfire

Country Flag:
    India
    Recall the aviation brigades. IAF will have helis for heli lift for SHBO and Airborne operations. IA's integral Aviation Brigade at the Corps level will have attack helis and limited transport (CasEvac) and recce & observation flights.

GSLV Mk III and Abingdonboy like this.
  9. Abingdonboy

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    Sounds good in theory but there is just too much duplication of efforts going on between the IA and IAF, there needs to be a clear delineation of roles. Why is the IA and IAF going for a joint buy of 600+ LUH/RSH? What does the IAF need RSH/LUH for? Why is the IAF supporting IA posts in the mountains? Why can't the IA be the sole supplier for its own installations, adding another service just complicates the matter. Why the heck is the IAF inducting Apaches? Even the Chinooks are being bought with the explicit intent of supporting the IA's MSC.

I understand that this is simple institutional bias, the IAF at one time wanted to control everything that flew, they even tried to scuttle the IN's aviation plans decades ago. But this outdated thinking needs to be re-addressed and the IAF needs to be made to justify every aviation asset it thinks it needs, its entire helo fleet (V5s, LCH, ALH/Rudra, Apache, LUH/RSH and Chinook) can be transferred to the IA. The IAF can retain a few Rudras and V5s for SAR/CSAR but beyond that why do they need any of this mammoth fleet?

Hellfire and Bregs like this.
  10. Hellfire

Country Flag:
    India

I will reply in detail after checking up on facts as available in public domain. But on broader terms, the IAF will be supporting airborne operations for Infantry Brigade sized units. We have approximately 2 divisions worth of Airborne Troops today (inclusive of Special Forces). Read this capacity with that. Also, you need to supplement air maintenance operations in fast moving and fluidic battle field. IAF's control of rotary aircrafts in this role (limited to support at the staging areas/logistics area of a moving Infantry/Armoured Division) will create less hassles of airspace control and coordination in hinterland from where the airforce's strike missions will be launched. For airspace operations ahead of it, the integrated army units will be able to provide support as and where needed.

As for attack heli - both should have it IMO. Airforce Helis may get embarked on IN ships in amphibious support role ?

Guynextdoor likes this.
  11. Abingdonboy

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    This is the most logical reply I have seen to the question of why the IAF needs to be involved in supporting IA offensive ops but even still I find it a bit unconvincing sir. With the kind of state of the art C&C infrastructure both the IA and IAF are setting up there shouldn't be huge coordination issues and if there are, the solution should be in creating more joint-service coordination (ie theatre commands), not furthering the service rivalry/incompatibility by duplicating services.

As it stands, the IA and IAF will have near identical (in terms of size and capability) helo fleets come 2030, this just seems insane to me and isn't replicated anywhere else on earth. It just feels like a huge duplication of efforts and it is easy to argue that all such assets under IA control would be far more capable than such a fleet being split between the IA and IAF.

LOL, this would be the ultimate tri-service effort; IAF attack helos supporting IA amphibious operations from IN ships! Why can't IN ships just embark IA attack helos for this role? Again, another case for an entirely seperate marine infantry force to be raised under the IN's command.

GuardianRED likes this.
  12. GSLV Mk III

GSLV Mk III Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    From the EOI.

_20170502_194538.jpg

Hence 1 for each engine will do I think.

Gessler likes this.
  13. Gessler

Gessler Mod Staff Member MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    Not 1 per engine, it's actually 1 per rotor I believe (main rotor & tail rotor). Choppers have only one gearbox per rotor - no matter how many engines there are, they all transmit their power to the single MGB (for main rotor) and the TRGB (for tail rotor).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Still I'm not 100% sure what is being implied here. It's a given that the numbers don't make sense unless it's 2 per helo. So it's plausible that we're talking about the MGB+TRGB combo. However I've looked up some info and I found out that even the MGB itself contains two distinct "gear modules" which seem to fit the description. The main module and the epicyclic module (planetary gear type) - which are both of importance for reducing rpm during transfer of power from engine to rotor (the whole point of a reduction GB).

It appears we can be sure of only one thing - whatever it is, there will be two of it per chopper.

GuardianRED likes this.
  14. Anish

Anish Lt. Colonel ELITE MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
  15. Anish

Anish Lt. Colonel ELITE MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India