Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

How India can eternalise its predominance in the Indian Ocean

Discussion in 'International Relations' started by Rehan123, Jan 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rehan123

Rehan123 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

India should offer the Maldives statehood within our Union, says former IAF pilot M P Anil Kumar. He argues that threat faced by the Maldives due climate change provides India with an opportunity to put forth a proposal for Maldives to join the Indian Union. In the future as rising sea levels claim more and more of the Maldivian land, the residents of Maldives will have an easy option of migrating to India with minimal hassle. Maldives joining India will be of huge benefit to India, he argues, as this will enable India to extend it's EEZ and also establish a naval base further out into the Indian Ocean.

An excerpt from the article:
    The full article is lengthier and includes an analysis of the PLA Navy and it's interest in the Indian Ocean. The full article can be found at

How India can eternalise its predominance in the Indian Ocean

Frankly I believe that the author makes a very logical argument. Close ties historically exist between India and Maldives with the original settlers of these islands being Dravidian's from Kerala. Even today these ties hold strong with strong trade links and good cultural links (numerous students from Maldives studying in Indian institutes - 3 of my batch mates during MBBS were from Maldives). There already exists a strong desire in Maldives for better connectivity to the Indian subcontinent, with a request for regular ferry services from Cochin port being made (This looks likely to materialize soon). I believe that a favorable response is quite likely if an offer for Maldives to join India as an autonomous state were to be made. It will be win-win for both sides.

2. arun.id

arun.id Lieutenant SENIOR MEMBER

Maldivians are Islamic faggots.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.