Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

HSL, Hyundai to join hands in ship building

Discussion in 'Indian Navy' started by Agent_47, Sep 14, 2017.

1. Agent_47

Agent_47 Admin - Blog Staff Member MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    VISAKHAPATNAM, SEP 13:
    The ground is being prepared for a partnership between Hyundai Heavy Industries Company Ltd of South Korea and the Hindustan Shipyard Ltd for construction of a fleet of support ships for the Navy in both the countries.

The agreement may be signed sometime next year. Talks are in progress between the MoD and South Korea. Prime Minister Narendra Modi visited Hyundai in May 2015 when the issue of mutual cooperation was discussed.

HSL Chairman and Managing Director LV Sarat Babu said on Wednesday that the first ship was expected to roll out in October, 2022, from the Hyundai facility in South Korea. Simultaneously, the construction of another FSS will start at HSL with the guidance of Hyundai.

“Our plan is to roll out one FSS every 10 months after the delivery of the first vessel from Hyundai,” the CMD said.

The total cost of the five FSS would be around ₹9,500 crore, he said.

The process of refilling the request for proposal (RFP) on two Special Operational Vessels is now in the process. Sarat Babu said they would get order for two SOVs on nomination basis. The value of the order for both the vessels will be around ₹2,500 crore.

SOVs are also known as mini submarines or midgets. The refit of Russia-made INS Sindhuvir, an EKM class submarine, will be completed in 27 months at a cost of ₹500 crore, he added.

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com...hands-in-ship-construction/article9857617.ece

Abingdonboy, Itachi, Zer0reZ and 6 others like this.
  2. GuardianRED

GuardianRED Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Fleet Support ship as in ... Fleet Tanker?

What about the MCMVs?

3. Gessler

Gessler Mod MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    I'm afraid I did not follow news on the FSS project...so what happened? We've already selected a design?

I always thought we'd go with the DCNS Brave-class design but now it seems we might go with a Korean design. It serves to know that the UK is also getting it's new fleet tankers, Tide-class, from Korea (Daewoo Shipbuilding).

Also, recently Hyundai has been selected as the supplier for the Royal New Zealand Navy's future fleet tanker, displacing some 24,000T. I believe the offer to IN could be similar, though possibly twice as big (as FSS requirement calls for a ship in the tonnage range of 40,000 to 50,000T if I recall correctly).

[​IMG]
    Hyundai's offer for RNZN

[​IMG]
    RFA's Tide-class tanker, built by Daewoo

@PARIKRAMA @Agent_47 @Sancho @Abingdonboy @vstol jockey Thoughts, people?

Yes, although I think there will be a bigger emphasis on being more mission-flexible than a traditional FRV like INS Aditya.

GRSE's MCMV cooperation deal is with Kangnam, not Hyundai.

4. Agent_47

Country Flag:
    India
    Yes, it was decided when PM visited Korea.

[​IMG]

The design could be similar to RNZN. But bigger.

Its Kangnam and Goa shipyard. The deal is still not signed on various disagreements.

5. Sancho

Sancho Lt. Colonel Technical Analyst

So not tender?

6. Agent_47

Country Flag:
    India
    There was a tender. It asked for ~45,000 ton class ship. Don't have any details after that.

7. Sancho

Since the old PDF times, I said that IN should combine the tanker and the LPD tender to 1 joint support ship tender. The amphibious requirement for India is so low, that we are wasting a whole lot of money for vessels, that hardly have any operational use (see the limited operational history of INS Jalashwa). So opting for 9 or 10 JSS, instead of 5 x tanker and 4 x LPDs makes much more sense.
    I think I showed once the cutaway models of the Brave class and the Mistral on PDF, to show how you could combine the dock.

Abingdonboy and Gessler like this.
  8. Sancho

I know, I mean the selection was not based on the tender right? Another political decision?

9. Hellfire

Hellfire Devil's Advocate Staff Member MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    Seriously out of date point there.

Abingdonboy and surya kiran like this.
  10. Sancho

Care to explain?

11. Agent_47

Country Flag:
    India
    Looks political. But SK is best of all in this category of ships.

Abingdonboy likes this.
  12. Sancho

Well, without a competitive tender, we will never find out.

13. GSLV Mk III

GSLV Mk III Captain FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    HSL got this deal on a nomination basis, it is now under the MoD if you forgot.

news from April 2016

Visakhapatnam: The Hindustan Shipyard Limited (HSL) is gearing up to build five fleet support ships (FSS) awarded on a nomination basis from the Indian Navy by the end of next year.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...port-ships-from-2017/articleshow/51752191.cms

14. GuardianRED

GuardianRED Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    MCMV yes the last time i read about it - there was some issue in selection of the engines - damn thought that they solved that :(

15. Hellfire

Hellfire Devil's Advocate Staff Member MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India

Actually no. The demand is quite high and is being catered to. There were a series of Amphibious "exercises" held over the past six months. Correlate with that. Beyond remains off the ambit as not in public domain.

Abingdonboy and GSLV Mk III like this.