Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

‘I have been victimised,’ says army’s most decorated officer SS Shekawat

Discussion in 'Indian Army' started by NKVD, Jul 17, 2017.

1. NKVD

NKVD 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Colonel Saurabh Singh Shekhawat has three gallantry awards to his name — Kirti Chakra, Shaurya Chakra and Sena Medal — and a Vishisht Sena Medal. He has accused two former army chiefs of denying him promotion for speaking up about a botched operation.

India’s most decorated officer, Colonel Saurabh Singh Shekhawat, has accused two former army chiefs and a senior serving officer of victimising him for speaking up about a botched operation in 2011 that embarrassed the force.

The 45-year-old Shekhawat has named former chief Gen Bikram Singh, his successor Gen Dalbir Singh and Lt Gen Abhay Krishna in his complaint to the army headquarters.

“I am forced, with distress and disillusionment, to state that despite being highest decorated serving officer in the army with an unblemished operational profile, I have been systematically vicitimised by officers at the highest level,” Shekhawat has said in the letter, a copy of which is with Hindustan Times.

Shekhawat’s allegations have brought the focus back on the Jorhat operation that led to an all-out war among India’s top army officers and at one point even threatened to derail the force’s succession plan.

Gen Dalbir Singh and Lt Gen Krishna didn’t respond to repeated phone calls or messages. Gen Bikram Singh said he didn’t remember the case. “It is not right for me to comment also, as it’s more than three years that I have retired,” he told HT.

Shekhwat, who is on study leave and is pursuing research at the Delhi-based Institute for Defence Studies and Analysis, declined comment.

Such complaints usually take six to seven months to be processed, army sources said, refusing further comment. The complaint was made in April.

On the night of December 20, 2011, an army intelligence unit barged into the house of Jorhat-based businessman Surjit Gogoi on the suspicion he was working with the separatist United Liberation Front of Asom.

Gogoi, a contractor with the military engineering corps, was not home when the intelligence unit of the 3 Corps, which was based in neighbouring Nagland’s Dimapur, raided his home in the presence of his wife and other family members.

The soldiers allegedly took away cash, gold and mobile phones from his home, inviting allegations the raid was a robbery. Gogoi lodged a complaint that led to a police investigation.

His 21 para (SF) unit was based in Jorhat at that time but in a breach of procedure, the army intelligence unit didn’t inform his unit or local police about the operation, Shekhawat’s letter says.

He brought the incident to the notice of his superiors but they denied the army was involved.

He spoke to the then brigadier, general staff, Abhay Krishna, who “denied any involvement and asked me as to how do (did) I know that 3 CISU (the Intelligence Unit) had done such a thing? I was shocked by the reaction”.

The intelligence unit was under Krishna’s command. Bikram Singh was the eastern army commander and Dalbir Singh the 3 Corps commander. Krishna took charge of the southwestern command this January.

The intelligence unit raid caused an uproar and the then army chief Gen VK Singh, who is now a minister at the Centre, issued a showcause notice to Dalbir Singh, who was in line to be the army chief in 2014.

It threatened Dalbir Singh’s chances to lead the army. In an affidavit to the Supreme Court, he accused VK Singh of victimising him “with the sole purpose of denying promotion to the appointment of army commander”.

When he took over as the chief in May 2012, Gen Bikram Singh reversed VK Singh’s decision to bar Dalbir Singh from heading the Eastern Command, clearing his way to the force’s top job.

Similar allegations have now been made against Gen Dalbir Singh.“I learnt that directions were issued to my initiating officer to fix Col SS Shekhawat. This vindictive attitude continued when General Dalbir took over as army commander,” the letter says.

As the chief, Gen Dalbir Singh even got him dropped as the leader of an Indian Army expedition to Mount Everest in 2016. An avid mountaineer, Colonel Shekhawat has conquered the Everest thrice.

A part of the Indian Army’s elite special forces, Shekhawat has three gallantry awards to his name — Kirti Chakra, Shaurya Chakra and Sena Medal — and a Vishisht Sena Medal for distinguished service.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/india...ted-officer/story-Q3X3groo0FzkjoJOTRRjbM.html

@Hellfire @vstol jockey @Abingdonboy @randomradio @Levina @Agent_47 @Gessler @PARIKRAMA

SrNair, Hellfire, Grevion and 3 others like this.
  2. randomradio

randomradio Mod Staff Member MODERATOR

What a mess.

SrNair, Hellfire and sangos like this.
  3. NKVD

Country Flag:
    India
    What I Know Of Shekhwat he is A highly capable Man much like Col Purohit +AA

Much more capable in Leadership than these Two Guys

SrNair, Hellfire and sangos like this.
  4. sangos

sangos Lt. Colonel SENIOR MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    This is the effect political leadership rot(CONgress) can have on non-political military. Issue needs to be redressed and guilty punished as per martial laws to set clear example of zero tolerance to corruption.

SrNair, Hellfire and Angel Eyes like this.
  5. Darth Marr

Darth Marr Captain FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    There is a lot of mess revolving around Bikram and Dalbir....

6. Lion of Rajputana

Lion of Rajputana Captain FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    United States

Yea what is it with those two? Really fishy characters. And why was Bikram Singh so interested in helping Suhag and clearing his path to promotion?

SrNair likes this.
  7. Darth Marr

Country Flag:
    India
    If you remember, Dalbir was selected as army chief by congress on the last day of their govt. after 2014 elections... I hope the new Army Chief listens... Like V.K.Singh, current COAS is liked by his troops. Congies have infected each and every institution in this country....

SrNair and Lion of Rajputana like this.
  8. vstol jockey

vstol jockey Colonel MILITARY STRATEGIST

Country Flag:
    India
    This officer has a cult like following in SFs.

SrNair and Lion of Rajputana like this.
  9. Darth Marr

Country Flag:
    India
    Whats your opinion on current CAOS, think he will assist this man ?

10. vstol jockey

vstol jockey Colonel MILITARY STRATEGIST

Country Flag:
    India
    I have posted my opinion about this COAS long back. he is a load mouth, good for nothing guy.

11. NKVD

Country Flag:
    India
    If I Had powers I made him first Director Of Joint SOCOM

vstol jockey likes this.
  12. Hellfire

Hellfire Devil's Advocate Staff Member MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India

The mess started with Gen JJ Singh, followed on by Gen Deepak Kapoor. This is the Mayo College Boys.

Of course, Gen Bikram Singh is married to the cousin of MMS' wife also was the critical factor in shaping the career of the General. That was why Gen Bikram Singh's rise was ensured by scuttling the careers of his competitors. It did not help the fact that Lt Gen KT Parnaik had age on his side and Gen VK Singh was born 1951. So the age issue was created in order to ensure that Gen Bikram Singh became Chief and not Lt Gen KT Parnaik, as had Gen VK Singh retired on his due date, Lt Gen KT Parnaik would have taken over as Chief. What is ironic is that Gen Bikram Singh's son married a Pakistani national and he was put under Intelligence Flag, which was 'removed' once he publicly disowned his son (which he reportedly regretted and lamented on the final day at the Lunch organised at Army House), something which was strange. That the ADG level officer in Military Operations was arrested for passing on Indian Army mobilisation orders to Pakistan in aftermath of Hemraj head taking incidents on his watch, needs to be noted too.

Additionally, the whole thing has to be seen from the frame of the Sukhna Scam. Once Lt Gen Avdesh Prakash, as MS, raised issues against the Lt Gen VK Singh, at the time the Eastern Army Commander, whereas it was the AG Branch who was the record keeper and not the MS Branch, it was an opportunity for then Lt Gen VK Singh to also simultaneously address the issue of corruption and also Lt Gen Avdesh Prakash, when the Sukhna Land scam came to fore. Lt Gen KT Parnaik, a corps commander at the time, was made responsible for the Court of Inquiry which found Lt Gen Avdhesh Prakash guilty and he was dismissed from service.

Gen Suhag along with now Lt Gen Abhya Krishnan (GOC in C South Western Command) got embroiled in the same controversy over the legacy of this mess. That the two are very close and once the former became Chief, the latter is trying to become too, is an open secret. What the GoI did , was appoint Gen Bipin Rawat as COAS over two senior army commanders (against who DV issues have been raised and hence their appointment as COAS came under cloud as GoI did not want to appoint those who had been tarnished with allegations of reasonable nature and not anonymous complaints, which is the usual mode of operating to scuttle appointments to Chief).

13. Lion of Rajputana

Country Flag:
    United States

DV issues?

14. Darth Marr

Country Flag:
    India
    One thing i hated about these two were "Excersice maximum restraint against stone pelters", Got i got pissed every time i heard that. I am glad the new Chief is more of "Ill kick your ass" type instead.

Hellfire and Lion of Rajputana like this.
  15. Lion of Rajputana

Country Flag:
    United States
    Yup, it's a massive, necessary step. I'm glad Rawat dared to take it, and I'm glad the Government has (seemingly) backed him on it.