Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

‘I have been victimised,’ says army’s most decorated officer SS Shekawat

Discussion in 'Indian Army' started by NKVD, Jul 17, 2017.

1. SrNair

SrNair Captain FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Still there is no big changes , current COAS is also from Uttrakhand and a close friend of NSA Ajit Doval.

But interesting fact is that Lt Gen Sarath Chand from Kerala appointed as VCOAS

2. Lion of Rajputana

Lion of Rajputana Captain FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    United States
    @Hellfire , I saw you mention the leaking of troop mobilization info during Singh's tenure. Were there any other serious compromises during the tenures of Singh and Suhag?

And do you think India really missed out by Parnaik being screwed out of a promotion? Was he a really good/upstanding officer, because I remember at one point he was also dealing with some forgery case regarding some land he had bought/owned?

Hellfire likes this.
  3. Hellfire

Hellfire Devil's Advocate THINKER

Country Flag:
    India

That shall be discipline and vigilance issues. There is some rider on both of them, hence when the time for promotion came, the incumbent was chosen. Similarly, next is expected to be the present VCOAS, that is what the rumour mill has us believing.

Lion of Rajputana likes this.
  4. Lion of Rajputana

Country Flag:
    United States
    Was the careful choice of COAS and VCOAS also made to prevent the other General close to Suhag (Krishnan) from ascending to COAS in the future?

Hellfire likes this.
  5. Hellfire

Country Flag:
    India

That allowed us a lot of manoeuvring space for when we actually need to kick the rears. If the norm is a heavy handed approach, you exponentially increase your opponents as also are under 'scrutiny' every time. But when you exercise a restraint, and go about your actions in a calibrated way, you reduce the collaterals becoming anti-you, you also reduce the 'scrutiny' of your actions and, er, get away with mess being made by you (botched operations) if any!

Fair policy. You can not antagonise the whole population and expect to win.

Darth Marr and Lion of Rajputana like this.
  6. Lion of Rajputana

Country Flag:
    United States
    Another curious twist in the story of VK Singh, Bikram Singh and Suhag which I just remembered (I had read this back when VK Singh's age controversy first erupted), is that if Bikram Singh hadn't become Army chief then eventually VK Singh's in law Ashok Singh would have been in line to become chief. At the time some people alleged that was why he was going after Bikram Singh and Suhag.

Hellfire likes this.
  7. Hellfire

Country Flag:
    India
    I merely quoted one incident which I recall. As of security, that is a relative term. I do not expect major compromises by officers themselves. But then, make no mistake, we have paid informers in higher echelons who are deeply embedded and who are being manoeuvred into top positions, be it in polity or in security. It is expected.

The difference is, the system has inbuilt redundancies, so major compromise is hard to achieve.

He was a great General and a hard speaking guy. Low profile, but recall the Chidambaram pressure to remove AFSPA? It was thanks to him that the GoI and his course mate and COAS at the time Gen Bikram Singh, backed out of this stupidity. The COAS at least had the mettle to back the GOC-in-C Northern Command on the latter saying no to the Home Minister and CM at the time :D

You need such men.

And as for land, heck, the plot I will buy will also have some odd forgery, it is norm in real estate in India, until and unless the records are brought into centralised computerised system

8. Hellfire

Country Flag:
    India

No idea.

9. Hellfire

Country Flag:
    India

The marriage of Gen VK Singh's younger daughter (at the time) took place only after he left the office!!! What a laugh! Anyways, that would be ex-in-laws of the daughter.

Lt Gen Ashok Singh would indeed have been the next COAS as per normal routes, but the present GoI did not take normal route. And, at the time, Gen VK Singh's daughter's marriage was still not even on horizon! :D

10. Lion of Rajputana

Country Flag:
    United States

Serious respect to him for that, takes serious guts to be the only guy saying no to the HM, CM and COAS at the same time.

Hellfire likes this.
  11. Lion of Rajputana

Country Flag:
    United States
    Not an allegation I'm making, just something I'd read around that time period as speculation for why VK Singh was so opposed to Bikram and Suhag.

Hellfire likes this.
  12. Hellfire

Country Flag:
    India

I know ... :)

That is why I said a laugh .. the son of Lt Gen Ashok Singh is a Dentist by profession and so is the daughter on Gen VK Singh's side ;)

13. Hellfire

Country Flag:
    India
    Yeah. And as the Northern Army Commander, one would find him playing basketball with troops in evening :) not slumping in office or acting like a high and mighty. A grounded and gutsy quiet gentleman.

14. Lion of Rajputana

Country Flag:
    United States
    Ah, so a soldier's general, the best kind.

Hellfire and Darth Marr like this.