Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

IAF Airborne Early Warning Systems - A-50EI Phalcon, DRDO Netra AEW&C, DRDO AWACS

Discussion in 'Indian Air Force' started by Agent_47, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Abingdonboy

Abingdonboy Captain Technical Analyst

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
    ni8mare, Gessler, GuardianRED and 8 others like this.
  2. Inactive

Inactive Guest

3. Grevion

Grevion Professional Think TROLL ELITE MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    It is a very beautiful machine. Believe me i have seen it flying up close.:D
    This is a video shot by me of a Sukhoi 30 mki flying over my house. Sorry for the quality it is shot from a regular mobile camera.

Yes. They fly that low.:punjabi:

Abingdonboy likes this.
  4. Abingdonboy

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    AEW&C (Netra):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. GuardianRED

GuardianRED 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Abingdonboy, Inactive and ni8mare like this.
  6. Sathya

Sathya Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    IAF couldn't leave the third in DRDO s hand ..:azn:

7. IndiranChandiran

IndiranChandiran Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Happened to post a question in Trishul about why did the IAF opt for only 3 & if the IAF wanted 360 ° coverage , why did they go in for the Netra in the first place. PSK responded with a dry -The DRDO had to begin somewhere & added that they would be exploring the export market with ( & this is damn interesting ) Embraer doing the marketing dor the entire system .Sounds like a bloody shame !!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
    Inactive likes this.
  8. Abingdonboy

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    PSK is spot on, there's no way LRDE/CABS could immediately produce a PHALCON-like AWACS with 360" coverage and >400km range, they needed to hone their skills somehwere and begin with a more modest project-crawl, walk then run. The Netra project was a good tech demonstrator and in that sense it is pretty fortunate the IAF has inducted any of them, it wouldn't be all that hard to imagine these divas (I jest) demanding nothing but the AWACS (India) and refusing to induct these stepping stones.

+ the Embraer marketing is just good business from them- they will be able to market their ERJ-145 platform to more customers now and be able to offer a more diverse portfolio (both the ERIEYE and Netra AEW solutions). It would be quite the coup for DRDO to get an export order for the Netra and would mark a real coming of age. But being realistic there is a very small market for such systems so the chances are slim, that said, the Netra system is going to be FAR more marketable/appealing on the open market than the FAR more expensive and complex AWACS (India) so this is another benefit of developing the Netra.

It will be a huge shame if India only inducts 2 (I think it is pretty likely the DRDO/CABS will retain the 3rd for themselves). Most other nations would be more than happy to have such a system and I think there is a requirement (albeit somewhat limited) to have a smaller AEW system that can perhaps be foreward deployed to fill in any gaps in the coverage of the "big boys" (PHALCON and AWACS (India) ).

@PARIKRAMA @Agent_47 @Hellfire @MilSpec @Grevion @Ankit Kumar 001 @Gessler

IndiranChandiran likes this.
  9. Abingdonboy

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    The P8I features a Telephonics APS-143 OceanEye at radar and a AN/APY-10 surface search radar. Both are fitted to the underside of the MPA (P-8) and are optimised for scanning over open water and specifically for periscopes and small boats. The APY-10 features a SAR and ISAR (these are not features found on AWACS/AEW) that are primarily focused on scanning for airborne targets (probably with a larger RCS). Also consider that AEW&C/AWACS will tend to fly far higher than an MPA and thus will be able to cover a larger area than an MPA but perhaps not to the same detail.

That said, LRDE have claimed to have been able to track a ship (size unknown) at >350km with the Netra AEW&C.

So for small maritime targets the belly radars on MPA are more suited but there is a role for AEW/AWACS in some cases in the maritime domain.

@PARIKRAMA @Gessler will be able to tell you more I'm sure, this is just my uninformed opinion.

10. Abingdonboy

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    Maybe the ICG should be looking at this system for the future, during testing the Netra was able to detect 500 ships in one mission off the West coast:

[​IMG]

Not a bad capability to have at all especially post-26/11.