Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

IAF Airborne Early Warning Systems - A-50EI Phalcon, DRDO Netra AEW&C, DRDO AWACS

Discussion in 'Indian Air Force' started by Agent_47, Feb 15, 2017.

1. kaku

kaku Major Technical Analyst

Because those are peace time deployments. And indeed they do strike ships, but that is not there mandate.

If you still want to say, this radar
    [​IMG]

is more capable than this
    [​IMG]

Then I have no words. Above pictures are self explanatory.

zebra7 likes this.
  2. vstol jockey

vstol jockey Colonel MILITARY STRATEGIST

Country Flag:
    India
    I will not respond more on this thread for the fear of letting out more info. The truth is that even IAF is using P-8Is for training its AWAC sensor operators. We have cross postings.

surya kiran likes this.
  3. kaku

I am not saying they are not.

4. Abingdonboy

Abingdonboy Major Technical Analyst

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    Well there are more P-8Is than there are IAF AWACS so that isn't that surprising.

5. vstol jockey

Country Flag:
    India
    The efficiency of an AWAC is based on the area it can cover. In the PIC you posted, have a closer look. Which all are the blind spots of that aircraft due to its own shape and size? I have been trying to tell you that an unobstructed field of view is what is needed and P-8I gives us that. Its radars are only looking downwards and it flies higher than IL-76 that too at a higher speed and has superior sensors for true 3dimensional jobs.
    Let me tell you a small story. IL-76 Friday Courier used to start from Bagdogra AF base. It was called the NE courier. I used to operate a flight with an airline in B737-800 in those days which had a departure time after this courier. I used to overtake it by KG and this courier always used to request me to speak to Kolkata control for clearances. It used to arrive in Delhi good about 20 minutes after me. Now its upto you to decide what you want to. This is my real life experience with IL-76.

randomradio likes this.
  6. randomradio

randomradio Mod Staff Member MODERATOR

What information can you provide about the two radars?

7. kaku

For starter, just by images. One is 360 while other is not.

EL/W-2090 is in L/S band. While AN/APY-10 is X-band. For obvious reasons S band is pretty good in surveillance and battle space management, while X-band is good for providing targeting solutions.

Maybe that's why most of AWACS work in S-band.

Sathya and zebra7 like this.
  8. kaku

@randomradio I already given lamda and approx diameters can be calculated from images . From this one can calculate approx beamwidth. But why you asking this?

9. vstol jockey

Country Flag:
    India
    There was a time when I posted that the correct range of Brahmos is 750Kms. Many laughed at me here. Now has it not been proved? Now let me tell you one more thing, We can sink every ship of PLAN in SCS using P-8Is and missiles being fired from IOR next to 8* channel. Our Subs are on prowl in SCS and we will sink every Chinese ship in IOR and SCS the day they fire first bullet across Doka La. Imported Army and Imported Airforce are least feared by PLA/N/AF. What they fear is Indian Navy which is not an imported service and very little is known about the exact capabilities of our sensors to the world and how we fight our battles.
    Three new commands are to be raised. The Special Operations command under IA is a done thing. We know that IA is supreme in this field. But the real problem is about the cybesrspace and aerospace command. IN is anyday better suited to command them compared to Imported Airforce.

surya kiran and kaku like this.
  10. randomradio

Forget I asked. No point bringing up tech specs of our most critical assets, that's plain dumb.

11. randomradio

I think these new commands will be triservice commands. Plus, once the CDS is set up, the entire system will be unified.

vstol jockey likes this.
  12. X_Killer

X_Killer Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    In between P-8i is very good for Navy but can't be used more efficiently in place of phalcon fór IAF . Isn't it?

This case is very similar to the roles of needle and sword

13. X_Killer

Country Flag:
    India
    That was done to increase the interoperability between forces. This is nothing new , even Indian army use IAF for training of army aviation corps' personnels

14. X_Killer

Country Flag:
    India
    It becomes confusing when DRDO's scientist Dr. Chakraborty said that p-8i has less than 180kms for aerial detection and target, which is not said to be good for long range surveillance Aircrafts.
    Its the reason to ask for a credible or official Source.

15. Sancho

Sancho Lt. Colonel Technical Analyst

So you just confirmed it once again, that the P8I has no long range early warning and command capability for air targets and therefore can't be an AWACS!
    Yes, it has comand capabilities for maritime forces, since it can gather own sensor infos and as you said from ship bases sensors, to create a picture of the battlefield and command the naval assets, but it is NOT and AWACS on its own!
    To guide the naval fighters for example, IN is still dependent on Ka31 or ship based sensors, as you correctly pointed out and that's also why they want and badly need at least shore based "real" AWACS capabilities!