Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

IAF Chronicles - A side view of whats going on behind the closed doors in New Delhi

Discussion in 'Defence Analysis' started by PARIKRAMA, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Sathya

Sathya Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India

When it reaches elemental level, it becomes periodic table to common people..:blink:

Can you indicate when & what will be the immediate procurement from USA ?

I mean do we have walk CISMOA , BECA etc before we buy anything ?

:badass:" It's business and time is money after all ":badass:

Superb Punch.

PARIKRAMA, GuardianRED and Angel Eyes like this.
  2. vikata

vikata IDF NewBie

Country Flag:
    India
    seniors kindly reply are we going to get more number of rafale??????

PARIKRAMA likes this.
  3. sunstersun

sunstersun Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    Canada
    encircle china

Angel Eyes likes this.
  4. Gessler

Gessler Mod MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    What is this?

Only Textron-manufactured Scorpion I know is this -

[​IMG]

What's the scope of seeing the Guardian in use by services other than Navy?

I suppose development of space-based assets dedicated to Air Force/Army first have to be in place....Navy is a step ahead in this with the GSAT-7 and more to come.

What is the scope (if any) of the C-17 line being reopened? Will the US be requiring any additional planes post-2020? Maybe of an improved variant?

Need emphasis on this.

This was said before...US offering AEGIS for P-17A. But that's not gonna happen now with all foreseeable ships coming with MF-STAR + Barak-8 combo with the EMDINA combat management system. Are AEGIS BMD capabilities being considered for the Next-Gen Destroyers/Project-18?

Need emphasis on this too. Are they talking about cooperation in the FICV project? Does that come under FMS?

Main jaanta tha ki ye hoga. If IAF/IA (maybe even IN) fall in love with the various FVL projects it may present a serious threat to viability of HAL's IMRH. Can you explain in exactly which sphere of requirement are we looking at FVL for? Mi-17 replacement? But I don't like how such a big requirement can be through FMS...it shouldn't happen. Buying from HAL is best option for local industry, and joint-development of Indian version and subsequent local production of FVL is next-best option. Direct FMS of ~200 choppers should be a big NOPE.

But then again, we already bought hundreds of Mi-8/Mi-17s from Russia without any local manufacturing so I won't be surprised if it happens again.

@Abingdonboy will be angry.

I reckon the IN would be very happy to operate an MQ-4 variant. Using these in conjunction with our P-8Is would have a phenomenal increase on effectiveness of maritime surveillance operations.

This could prove useful from IN perspective if they want to seriously adopt ship-based DEWs in future.

A pathfinder project to develop brain injuries. :agree::biggthumpup:

Cooperation wrt to SOSUS, Surveillance equipment and Missile Defense is understandable but what's with the underwater strategic fleet? We have serious cooperation with Russians in that and I don't know if involving US would be such a good idea. Anyway if that's out of purview....

First of all, why the change from S-70B-2 to MH-60R? What's the difference? Any change in required/expected spec or just nomenclature? They're basically the same chopper anyway.

I'm glad we're going the MII way for Naval choppers at least (not making the same mistake as we did with IAF Mi-17s).

Tata is winning big with US...first F16, now Sikorsky (although both were under consideration for a long time). I wonder what implementation of Sikorsky MII will mean for IN's 12-ton requirement. Personally I'd like the 10-ton reqmt to be taken care of by Sikorsky/Tata (Sea Hawk) while Airbus/Mahindra can take care of the 12-ton reqmt (with H225M).

@Abingdonboy @randomradio @Hellfire @Agent_47 @Sancho - Your thoughts on these points?

5. GuardianRED

GuardianRED Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    @Gessler Sorry out of topic ... I have a pic of the IN VBSS team that @Abingdonboy would like ... where do i post this?

+

Blast and Blunt Traumatic Brain Injury
    A pathfinder project to develop brain injuries. :agree::biggthumpup:

:rofl::rofl::cheers:

PARIKRAMA and Gessler like this.
  6. Agent_47

Agent_47 Admin - Blog Staff Member MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India
  7. sunstersun

Country Flag:
    Canada

0 chance the line is reopened, however, USAF has spare C-17's congress ordered to keep the lines opened when international sales lagged. perhaps those could be sold? they're part of the reserve.

edit:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Force_Reserve_Command#Units

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    PARIKRAMA and Gessler like this.
  8. Hellfire

Hellfire Devil's Advocate Staff Member MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India
  9. Hellfire

Country Flag:
    India
    @Gessler

Check out the video I have just embedded.

Gessler, Sathya and PARIKRAMA like this.
  10. sunstersun

Country Flag:
    Canada
    PARIKRAMA and Hellfire like this.
  11. Hellfire

Country Flag:
    India

This is where I find that IA itself will be undergoing a little bit of downsizing further. Already there is a downsizing being achieved partially as we can not completely remove troops on ground seeing the varied nature of topography that IA has to defend, but with Digital India plan under which networking is being provided to remotest part of India, thereby creating a network for Armed Forces to also spread their OFC, there is likelihood of greater automation in the role of border guarding at least in stable topographical locales of Punjab-Rajasthan with incremental application along northern frontier with greater integration of airborne-space and ground sensors/platforms coming in.

Crux here: More joblessness :D .. Blame Modi, not aversion to use the rubber :)

12. BON PLAN

BON PLAN Major SENIOR MEMBER

Country Flag:
    France
    Of course.
    It would have been economically unsuitable to spend so much for indigenization and modernized air bases just for 36. At least another 36 will come. And probably more.

13. surya kiran

surya kiran 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    This is where we should pushing for co-ordination and joint tech work. With the numbnuts to our west and the LoC, this could be tested across terrain. Because, it depends on ground sensors variations in terrain can be studied and updated. Something like a ground based Spectra. Numbnut turbans crossing, unleash the turbanator.

Hellfire and Angel Eyes like this.
  14. halloweene

halloweene Major MILITARY STRATEGIST

No.

15. Sathya

Sathya Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Any new news ?