Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

IAF Chronicles - A side view of whats going on behind the closed doors in New Delhi

Discussion in 'Defence Analysis' started by PARIKRAMA, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Hellfire

Hellfire Devil's Advocate Staff Member MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India

I died of laughter at this :D

waste of time reading him

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    zebra7 and PARIKRAMA like this.
  2. Hellfire

Country Flag:
    India
    Jags are ground attack ... what do you need them for? Is there any scope for a dedicated Ground Attack aircraft in IAF anymore? I do not think so.

And this is for the general impression being pushed about IAF not 'owning' the projects. IAF has had officers posted at Ozar, Bangalore facilities for decades. It even posted a team for UPG program in Moscow, with the OEM and the tenure was 5 years.

IAF wants an aircraft that can defend the skies. LCA is fine but deliver it in time, you can not have mk1 rolling in for next 5 years, so that bulk is obsolete by the time it hits the skies. It is like the argument forwarded by members here of the Army's GSQR of a multi caliber rifles being outlandish (and supported by similar write ups in the media). By the time own defence firms even begin to develop a prototype, the environment changes.

LCA range was for 90s. This is 2020 approaching. Does it take an Einstein to recognize that an organisation needs to think prospectively else be left behind?

3. Hellfire

Country Flag:
    India

What is AMCA? That is a joke!!!!

PARIKRAMA likes this.
  4. Hellfire

Country Flag:
    India
    Don't write such things ... I choked on my coffee ....

You do not have your own radar yet ... and ... wait for it ................engine ......! :D

It is a project, it is a going concern.

How then does Modi justify contracts to F-16, do a turnabout on his "Make in India" (mind you it is MAKE not MADE, so he is right in discarding Tejas) and how do you air brush your own image if not by putting the forces in the spot, the trend over the past 4 decades and peaking over the last few years??

So why buy LCA when I can get better aircrafts? Do i really need point defence aircraft to support a proactive war fighting policy?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    PARIKRAMA likes this.
  5. Hellfire

Country Flag:
    India

He is not blaming IAF ... :)

and the funny thing is ... this is what I was telling to @randomradio the time slippage on mk1 and mk1a has already begun

PARIKRAMA and stephen cohen like this.
  6. Hellfire

Country Flag:
    India

He is not wrong. 55 to 62 is the aimed figure in medium to longer term.

WhyCry and PARIKRAMA like this.
  7. Angel Eyes

Angel Eyes 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    How about USA gives us a Japanese F2 fighter plane like offer for f 16....

PARIKRAMA and Bloom 17 like this.
  8. Butter Chicken

Butter Chicken Captain FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Japan is not even selling armed Amphibious planes,why would they offer cooperation with their fighter jet program?

PARIKRAMA likes this.
  9. Angel Eyes

Country Flag:
    India
    I was not aware of this...thanks for highlighting this fact...

PARIKRAMA likes this.
  10. Bloom 17

Bloom 17 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    I read somewhere sometime back and I could be totally wrong. The article said the 45 squadron requirement was during 1970’s based on the number of sorties the aircraft could perform per day. As technology improved the sorties also increased and the minimum requirement for a two front war presently is lesser than 45. Is it true?

Disclaimer- I could be totally wrong

PARIKRAMA likes this.
  11. Hellfire

Country Flag:
    India

We can make do with 10 Squadrons also, that is as per majority of Babus. A certain member since banned, was also giving a figure of 100 then 200 sufficient.

IAF itself wants 62 to be able to comprehensively undertake it's increasing tasks. And this assessment was done 4 decades back.

Please remember you may have 200 F22s, but 3000 Su-27 will still whup your ass and then some. Irrespective of the technologocal edge, you have to have numbers.

That is why LCA is still alive or a SE program is in anvil. 200 Rafales (if you can afford them) will also not be sufficient to meet combined PAF and PLAAF threat when taken as a ratio of platforms fielded.

And we do not have the luxury of not catering to a combined threat, do we?

zebra7, PARIKRAMA, Bloom 17 and 2 others like this.
  12. stephen cohen

stephen cohen Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Please Do this google search

IAF Two Front war 55 Squadrons

This Number 55 Squadrons has Not been " Officially " said by IAF

It is the Opinion of Retired IAF Officials
    and appears in several articles on the Internet in the Context of a Two Front Situation

Bloom 17 and Angel Eyes like this.
  13. stephen cohen

Country Flag:
    India
    This is what appeared in PK Sengupta's Blog Today regarding LCA

http://trishul-trident.blogspot.in/2017/10/why-chhamb-continues-to-matter.html?commentPage=2
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To ANIK, RAJESH MISHRA & BUDDHA: LoLz! So finally the IAF has stated on-record what I have been saying sibce early 2013@

How so? Just do a time-check on when was the first time I had stated that the Tejas Mk.1 LCA was a ‘sub-optimal’ solution & how/why the IAF has begunb using that same term, i.e. sub-optimal.

In fact, that term first originatyed in February 2013 just after the then ADA Director at an Aero India 2013 symposium openly admitted that his design team had never even realised that customers of MRCAs always placed crucial emphasis on 2 parameters: the direct operating costs per flight-hour; & the maintenance hours per flight-hour!

Consequently, while a Rafale requires only 1 hand-held, notebook-based avionics tester, the Tejas Mk.1 requires 35 of them! Any IAF ground-support crew team will go berserk in such circumstances.

Nor will matters be resolved with the Tejas Mk.1A, which for all intents & purposes is totally doomed since it does not contain even a single structural refinement of the Tejas Mk.1’s airframe & fuselage-encased avionics LRUs.

Hence, the only VIABLE solution is to end the Tejas Mk.1 programme at 20 aircraft, totally forego the Tejas Mk.1A, & expedite the LCA-AF Mk.2/Tejas Mk.2 MRCA’s developmental process.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If this is True then DRDO has been LYING all the Time

14. Angel Eyes

Country Flag:
    India
    But why would they lie...

PARIKRAMA likes this.
  15. stephen cohen

Country Flag:
    India