Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

IAF Chronicles - A side view of whats going on behind the closed doors in New Delhi

Discussion in 'Defence Analysis' started by PARIKRAMA, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Angel Eyes

Angel Eyes 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    This matter should be investigated seriously and culprits whether they are DRDO or IAF shoul be jailed for lying to the nation ...

PARIKRAMA and stephen cohen like this.
  2. Bloom 17

Bloom 17 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    The way things are going, looks like we aren’t going to reach that number by 2040 at the earliest

3. Hellfire

Hellfire Devil's Advocate Staff Member MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India

NFU, Pay and allowances and perks ......

Guess what, whose children are outside India?

1. Politicians
    2.Bureaucrats (does not matter seniority)
    3. Top Honchos of Armed Forces (usually)
    4. DPSUs

And no they are not all corrupt. The system is such that even if you buy a great product, you get a pay off. That is how it works all over the world. In India though, we take it to a new level (undermining own security interests and reducing the level of Corruption to such that we sell at lower margins)

Interesting

a1.JPG

As taken from OFB site. They seem to produce 125 mm FSAPDS and now

a2.JPG

Pssssttttt: check the date on the site in Pic 2 :D

The SOBs lie through their teeth .....

And our members here, cheer these SOBs without knowing FACTS!!! And will live in denial saying this is import lobby :D

zebra7, Gessler, Grevion and 3 others like this.
  4. Angel Eyes

Angel Eyes 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India

These SOB are the reason why we still imports... Hopefully situation will change when private industries steps in....

zebra7, Hellfire and PARIKRAMA like this.
  5. randomradio

randomradio Colonel Technical Analyst

OFB is a humongous failure. I am waiting for the day they are shut down.

Hellfire, Gessler, Angel Eyes and 2 others like this.
  6. Fat Bandit

Fat Bandit IDF NewBie

Country Flag:
    India
    Jeez this thread has really lit up last few days.

While I was dead-set against the F-16, going by some posts I too began to think why can't SE and LCA co exist? I mean whats the problem with going for 200 SE planes if it gives us some brownie points with daddy trump and security against evil Xi and his bearded thugs for hire combine? LCA can happily keep coming at its own pace and we can easily add sufficient number (even more than the 113) to nurture the domestic industry and keep HAL busy. Rafale can come later as umbrella medium fighter eventually replacing mig29s and m2k's.

^ A scenario often alluded to by some posters here.

However the 'PROBLEM' I see is that once we DO have the f-16 line, the private partner is not going to stop there. After blowing our load on F-16s, 15 years down the line we will be hearing how rafale's and sukhoi's are not good enough (or some variation) and we should just get F-35's (continuity, single vendor, crap crap etc etc).

No way I say. I still think we should junk this lame ass condom of a SE fighter tender and go full throttle on LCA and rafale's and produce some beautiful Indo french babies!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    Bloom 17, zebra7, Sathya and 4 others like this.
  7. Lion of Rajputana

Lion of Rajputana Captain FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    United States
    At this point, I think going for the F-35 is practically a certainty. The PAK-FA project seems to be in a downward spiral, and Parikrama has repeatedly stated that at this point India seems to be looking for some sort of graceful exit.

China already has stealth aircraft, and after that, it's up to them to share stealth aircraft with Pakistan at whatever time in the future they see fit. So with the PAK FA not panning out, the AMCA being nothing more than an idea, and the possibility of Indo-French cooperation on a 5th Gen. fighter being just that - a possibility - I think India getting F-16's followed by F-35's is a foregone conclusion.

There is also plenty of scope for the F-35 in the Indian Navy. We're about to purchase several LHD's (and raise a Marine Infantry Force at some point in the future), for which F-35's would be perfect. The F-35's could work on Indian aircraft carriers as well. And they would also be excellent for island bases (Andaman, Nicobar etc).

8. sunstersun

sunstersun Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    Canada
    F-35 = death for Indo Russian relations.

Will never recover.

Ironhide, Angel Eyes and PARIKRAMA like this.
  9. Lion of Rajputana

Country Flag:
    United States

Let it be, they're anyhow going and shamelessly sitting in China's lap on one hand and making overtures to Pakistan and the Taliban on the other hand. If they want to be on the wrong side of history, they can go to hell. Maybe once that arrogant old fool Putin is gone (who still harbors Cold War Era delusions of being a superpower and taking on the US), the next leader will be more practical and realign his country.

Bloom 17 and PARIKRAMA like this.
  10. Fat Bandit

Fat Bandit IDF NewBie

Country Flag:
    India
    F-35's maybe the best plane around but do we really need them? I am inclined to believe 10-15 years down the line PAK-FA would be a fairly matured platform. Hell IF we go not go down this US lackey route we may even develop our own stealth fighter aka the AMCA (without or without french/Russian help). The whole war with China is a drummed up scenario. An robust fleet fleet of subs, an arsenal of missiles and a competent airforce is enough to keep them at bay.

Frankly I'd rather we maintain our strategic neutrality/independence than take sides. Yeah Doklam was a scare but so what. We have far more serious internal problems than external.

PARIKRAMA likes this.
  11. Lion of Rajputana

Country Flag:
    United States
    Absolutely, China already has a stealth plane, and there are really no guarantees with the PAK FA anymore. As for the China war scenario, what prevents conflict with China is being strong enough to take them on, and having the willingness to do so. This current Government has the backbone, but in a lot of areas, the Indian military is losing strength - whether it's a shortage of certain equipment/weaponry, a total lack of it, or the present equipment being outdated/inadequate etc etc. If you don't have enough submarines, or enough naval helicopters; if your air force is already significantly smaller than you would like it to be - and features a huge chunk of outdated aircraft which will be retired soon and you still don't have stealth capability; if your army doesn't even have proper bulletproof jackets and rifles for every man; then you are setting yourself up to be an easy and attractive target.

India is about as neutral as is possible in the given situation, but with the present situation and India's current and future challenges, close cooperation with the US is a must (although there are other countries to work with too - France, Israel, Japan, Vietnam, Australia etc etc).

PARIKRAMA likes this.
  12. PARIKRAMA

PARIKRAMA Angel or Devil? Staff Member ADMINISTRATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    I believe the best for India over next 3+ decades is simply

Tejas variants
    Rafale (naval variant as well)
    MKI

In 5th gen concentrate on a simple concept
    AMCA (JV with french) (naval variant as well)
    AURA Program (try and gain insights from Dassualt)

Pour all the investment, research and a firm commitment by Indian gov, MOD, IAF, IN and other stake holders like dependent OEM majors like Dassault and use HAL as well for its vast experience to spearhead this campaign.

We should start with a simple concept of removing heavy and moving towards only Light and Medium fighters over many decades. heavy even though is very powerful is always an issue and with more technological leap and multipliers like AARs being available (unmanned too), we wont see heavy fighters usage much in future..

The F35 like fighter is not ideal as of today but a heavily sensorised concept of F35 like UCAV can be a better choice for future warfare.. of course much smaller in size then F35s..

We need to focus on main systems from cost aspect to be full indianised at blue print level with R&D...

Bloom 17, zebra7, GuardianRED and 2 others like this.
  13. Hellfire

Hellfire Devil's Advocate Staff Member MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India

Party on me :D

14. halloweene

halloweene Major MILITARY STRATEGIST

Behind the curtails, there is some progress....
    Tink to it that way : would Thales have developed a specific radar matching exact indian requirements (do 2052 do, i do not know) if there weren't offsets politics etc behind?

PARIKRAMA likes this.
  15. stephen cohen

stephen cohen Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    I dont think that MOD and MEA are so short sighted as to scrap PAK FA

PAK FA is Eighty percent complete ; When it is fully ready in say Five years it
    will blow away every thing

It just needs More time

Suppose in Future A Democrat US President gets Chummy with China
    like Obama was Touting G 2 -- If you Remember

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_of_Two

It is India that will be Screwed First

We should Not Burn our Bridges with Russia

It is still a very strong relationship

And even the Russians Dont trust China fully

They know that China is eyeing the Siberian natural resources
    whereas Russian population is declining