Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

IAF hopes to build its own combat aircraft within 20 years

Discussion in 'Indian Air Force' started by layman, Oct 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. layman

layman Aurignacian STAR MEMBER

Country Flag:
    United States
    [​IMG]

The Indian Air Force (IAF) dreams of developing its own combat aircraft in 20 years. At least that is what IAF chief NAK Browne hopes, given the fact that the Air Force has acquired significant expertise in overhaul and upgrade of aircraft.

"The 14 base repair depots (BRDs) have grown in both capability and capacity in a manner that the day is not far when it will be able to develop its own medium multi-role combat aircraft (MMRCA)," Browne said at a press conference in Delhi on Friday.

While the IAF has successfully upgraded Russian MiG-29 fighters at its Nashik-based Ozar facility, the BRD in Chandigarh is the state-of-the-art facility for overhaul of Mi-17 choppers - the backbone of helicopter fleet.

Similarly, the base repair depot in Kanpur is working on An-32 transport aircraft and Viper engines used in Kiran intermediate jet trainers.

"I hope it's a dream but 20 years from now we should produce MMRCA kind of aircraft," Browne said.

The remark is significant as India has struggled to develop its own aircraft over the years. The LCA project has been going on for several decades, and it is not before two years that the homegrown Tejas aircraft will be ready for induction into the IAF.

At a time when the Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd, which does all the licensed production of foreign aircraft for the IAF, is unable to absorb technology to the satisfaction of the Air Force, the BRDs are carrying out work more efficiently.

Air Force officials said the state-of-the-art facilities developed at these facilities will prove to be a major strength in the coming years.

The HAL's wastage rate is at least five times that of other aircraft manufacturers in the world, they said. The IAF is maintaining a large and divergent fleet ranging from Jaguars and Mirages to ageing transporters and helicopters.

The maintenance of these aircraft have been a challenge for the Air Force. The IAF is inducting several new platforms in the coming years, including 126 French Rafale medium multi-role combat aircraft for which talks are underway.

More Info

2 people like this.
  2. Anees

Anees Lt. Colonel ELITE MEMBER

Country Flag:
    United States
    We Need Action as soon as possible....:mod:

3. Paliwal Warrior

Paliwal Warrior Lt. Colonel ELITE MEMBER

If they have gathered so much knowledge and experience then why dont they sit down with DRDO and help take teja Mk2 and AMCA to fruition

1 person likes this.
  4. smestarz

smestarz Lt. Colonel REGISTERED

All I can say is a phrase which I learnt from friends when I was a school kid
    CH*DNA KAM CHILLANA JYADA
    And that is how I would define our present Air chief,

If it is as IAF Chief that IAF has so much so experience, why can't they assist DRDO and HAL and try to complete Tejas?
    With due respect to the services, our present air chief is a nincompoop. He could have been good pilot but I seriously doubt his leadership abilities.

In my view, the simple thing would be

1. Get Tejas operational
    2. You have FGFA with Russia, try to learn from it by sending a team to absorb knowledge.
    3. Since we have a single engined Tejas, why not try and see if we can make a bigger plane using twin engine and same design.
    This might get us a new platform to work on with few basic changes, the design would be similar but the size would be bigger to incorporate two engines (the intakes could become different)
    But then that might give us a twin engine design based on Tejas with Ability and capability of 4+ Generation planes like EFT and Rafale at much better price. Also any future upgrades will depend on us.

The problem with our forces today is that our Service chiefs are those who believe in foreign product more than our ability to design one. Frankly if we would have got Long range missiles from Russia, we would have never developed Prithvi or Agni missiles, we would have been happy to purchase them from Russia,

As you can see, if there is some military product that other countries are producing it, we are buying them ignoring our own potential and who else but the service chiefs to blame for it. Why can the armed forces not work closely with DRDO and other government agencies to develop and induct our own products.

I think we need private participation but under the control of government agency that oversees the development of the product using the inputs from the forces.

5 people like this.
  5. Picdelamirand-oil

Picdelamirand-oil Lt. Colonel MILITARY STRATEGIST

Country Flag:
    France
    IAF chief NAK Browne seems to be in competition with HAL, it can explain why he always choose foreign products.

6. brahmos_ii

brahmos_ii Major SENIOR MEMBER

Please dont point to only defense chiefs, not only they prefer the Imported products.... this is common mentality of 90% of our country man for 100% of the products we use...

1 person likes this.
  7. Picdelamirand-oil

Picdelamirand-oil Lt. Colonel MILITARY STRATEGIST

Country Flag:
    France
    I understand, you are saying is that there is no need of a specific explanation, this behavior is general in India. Right?

8. brahmos_ii

brahmos_ii Major SENIOR MEMBER

:yes:, I dont know how it will change in future, currently we import every thing....

1 person likes this.
  9. smestarz

smestarz Lt. Colonel REGISTERED

He is close to retirement and guess wants a secure old age,
    The national security is prime importance, but then how important is self sufficiency?
    When we draw ourselves into a position where we cannot get products from others, we indulge in self sufficiency.
    Our nuclear program is part of this and so is our missile program, but other products which we can import, our chiefs seems too eager to import rather than depend on domestic products.
    And if any country desires to be a super power, they surely cannot depend on imported weapons, they have to design and develop their own. History has shown that.
    Alexander of Macedon (Sarissa)
    Rome (Legionary tactics and use of small units like Maniples to be independent and also its weapons and armour)
    Turks (the Seige bombard )
    Mongols (Horse archers)
    British (Guns and ships)
    America (Aircraft carriers and big fleets and best air planes)

Thus if you see, none of them depended on imported weapons to be superpowers, they built their own weapons and developed them and they were victorious till someone developed better weapons and tactics,

4 people like this.
  10. arun.id

arun.id Lieutenant SENIOR MEMBER

This is not general. I only buy Indian. And I have many friends who do the same. I think he's talking about the govt. and the politicians. Ex: The politicians all huried to buy and distribute iPads in govts, but doesn't support any of the Indian companies which try to manufacture similar items.

11. arun.id

arun.id Lieutenant SENIOR MEMBER

I think he knows it. He's elder than us. And no newbie in defence and strategy.

12. water_land_air

water_land_air 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

age does not make a man wiser. you can see many old folks in our country who will never see news or do some social service to kill time in retirement but they will kill half the day listening to flirtatious old songs and at night will gladly watch all scandalous TV serials.

they never bother to learn anything about what to do in times of terror attacks or bombings or any natural calamity to save lives.

i am not just blaming old generations. the younger generation is far more to be blamed. they can spend endless hours transfixed to cheap phones but will be ghostly white if you ask them about any acts of terror from Pakistan and then the younger generation does the drama of pretending to be modern by listening to much hyped Sufi songs as if Sufism always means good and promoting peace between communities when facts prove otherwise in some cases.

both young and old generations should learn to strike a balance between work and play. but the problem with our country is most want just play and do not want to work. all want to become millionaires in a month by whatever means.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  13. Manmohan Yadav

Manmohan Yadav Brigadier STAR MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    I agree, just think of it HAL's wastage rate is at least five times that of other aircraft manufacturers in the world
    Pvt. Sector will never tolerate such a think

14. Rock n Rolla

Rock n Rolla Lt. Colonel STAR MEMBER

Bad idea...I don't understand what course the chief's planning for our Air-Force when he says "the Indian Air Force (IAF) dreams of developing its own combat aircraft in 20 years". If the IAF team working at these BRDs are that capable let them first help in sorting out the issues with Tejas...it's being built for IAF mainly!! Then they can work with DRDO to make AMCA a success...:rolleyes2:

15. Manmohan Yadav

Manmohan Yadav Brigadier STAR MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    we will have the LCA Mk.II by 2015
    we better induct those in Large number
    just to boost morale of domestic Industry if needed
    Privatize is spare suppliers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.