Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

IAF mulling changes in pilot training modules

Discussion in 'Indian Air Force' started by SpArK, Nov 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpArK

SpArK SorCeroR Staff Member ADMINISTRATOR

New Delhi: Concerned over six crashes involving its planes this year, IAF is planning to change its pilot training modules and other aspects of flying, Defence Ministry officials have said.

Defence Minister AK Antony will review the changes to the pilot training programme and other related issues at a meeting of the top air force brass and ministry officials

During the meeting, the Minister will be given a detailed account of the recent crashes involving IAF planes and the measures taken by the force to check such accidents in future, the officials told PTI here.

Of the six air crashes involving IAF planes this year, four belonged to the MiG-21 fighter aircraft series. Most of the crashes had taken place between August and October.

According to the officials, a total 976 MiG-21 planes had been inducted into the service since 1960s and over half of them were lost in accidents.

A MiG-29 fighter plane had recently crashed in the Lahaul Valley in Himachal Pradesh while it was on a routine night-flying training sortie.

While the wreckage of the plane was found by an IAF search team after a nine-day exercise, the remains of the pilot Squadron Leader Dharmendra Singh Tomar were traced yesterday.

IAF chief Air Chief Marshal NAK Browne while talking to reporters on the occasion of Air Force Day parade last month had said that most of the accidents had taken place due to inexperience of the pilots who were unable to control the aircraft during take offs and landings.

Stressing upon the need for a basic trainer aircraft to train young pilots, he had said various steps were being taken, including devoting greater number of hours to simulator flying, to bring down pilot casualty in the force.

PTI

2. Naren1987

Naren1987 Captain SENIOR MEMBER

It's about time they did so, 10 years for deciding on a Trainer purchase is just ridiculous.

3. Sanjeeb Bose

Sanjeeb Bose Lieutenant SENIOR MEMBER

Indian Airforce need a robust training methods for its pilots... this was lacking surprisingly for very long time... IAF can co develop a training schedule with Germany, France & UK and learn from their experiences.

4. vstol jockey

vstol jockey Colonel MILITARY STRATEGIST

Country Flag:
    India
    I did my flying training as part of 141PC in AFA. Only ten PC's were done by IAF starting from 133 to 143 PC with all jet training. There was a very strong attrition as all the pilots were put from bicycles to Jets. I cleared my solocheck in 21st check with just 20 hrs in my logbook.
    But a large no of guys who could have made it to be fighter guys lost out. It was very demanding and a few more hours in a piston or turbo ac would have seen more guys making the grade. I lost four of my buddies in crashes during training.
    We need to train our guys better as we can't keep losing potential fighter pilots for lack of proper equipment.

3 people like this.
  5. Sanjeeb Bose

Sanjeeb Bose Lieutenant SENIOR MEMBER

Although I am not from the military background... I strongly feel that IAF must invest heavy on the pilots training, this is very crucial in making IAF one of the best in the world... we must put in place the training similar to pilots get in Luftwaffe or Royal Airforce in UK... wel trained pilots will save the day for us.... I am not sure how comparable the IAF training methodology as compared with the best in the world.... One of my elder cousin is in IAF has spoken the tough schedule there and high attrition rate you have spoken about...

6. Naren1987

Naren1987 Captain SENIOR MEMBER

More than that, we need to purchase jets that are easier to fly, I still think that the F-35 is a better bet than the FGFA, but then, the tech sharing would be a major problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.