Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

IAF to set up hi-tech landing for Army on China LAC

Discussion in 'Indian Air Force' started by tariqkhan18, Nov 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tariqkhan18

tariqkhan18 Major Staff Member ADMINISTRATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    In the ongoing effort to strengthen military infrastructure along the India-China border and keep pace with Chinese build up across the Line of Actual Control(LAC), the IAF will activate an advanced landing ground in Vijaynagar in Arunachal Pradesh on Friday. It will be the sixth such landing strip close to the LAC in the hilly and provide year -round logistical support to Army deployments on the border.

Stating this here on Thursday, officials said the landing ground would accommodate AN-32 transport planes besides helicopters. The AN-32 planes can carry more than 40 tons of equipment including weapons, troops and essential items and the Vijaynagar landing strip will cut down the time taken for delivering these items to the forward posts.

At present, the weapons and other equipment are ferried on mule back through inaccessible mountainous terrain and putting the Indian formations in a disadvantageous position vis-a-vis China. It has built modern infrastructure all along the 4,500 km-long LAC including all weather roads and landing grounds. India is going all out to negate this advantage at the earliest.

In fact, Defence Minister AK Antony on Tuesday expressed concern over rapid modernisation of Chinese infrastructure along the border and said India had also stepped infrastructural development in the north eastern States.

Meanwhile, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh will hold talks with Premier Wen Jiabao in Bali, Indonesia on Friday during the ASEAN summit in the back drop of China warning India on Tuesday about its military buildup including reported plan to deploy more than 1,00,000 troops on the LAC.

Sources said the two heads of state will discuss all the bilateral issues including the complex boundary dispute, trade and fostering more people to people relations. Moreover, the meeting will take place ahead of 14th round of talks on boundary dispute here in the last week of November between National Security Advisor Shivshankar Menon and his Chinese counterpart Dai Bingguo.

India and China will also hold the annual defence dialogue in Delhi on December 9 between Defence Secretary Shashikant Sharma and his Chinese counterpart. The dialogue and military to military interaction between the two countries was put on hold by India last year after the then Northern Command chief Lt General BS Jaswal was denied a visa by Beijing as it questioned the status of Jammu and Kashmir.

As regards landing grounds in Arunachal Pradesh, the IAF has five such strips and three of them are able to accommodate transport planes. The reactivation of Vijaynagar landing ground will add to the operational preparedness of the armed forces, officials said.

Helicopters could only land at Vijaynagar base till three years back and the government then gave the ahead to the IAF to upgrade it to enable the big transport planes to operate from there.

Incidentally, the IAF in the last two or three years activated at least three advanced landing grounds in Ladakh region facing China to bolster logistical base. These bases located at heights ranging from 13,000 feet to 18,000 feet are Nayoma, Fuckhe and Daulat Beg Oldie and two of them can handle AN-32s, sources said.

Moreover, the IAF plans to upgrade the runway at Kargil airport to enable giant transport planes like IL-76s and C-10 Globemasters to land. The project will take about two to three years and will provide additional capabilities to cover vast areas in that region which remains cut off for more than five months due to snow.

Elaborating on the ongoing projects in the north-east states, officials said at least 30 landing grounds and small airports were identified for modernization and the entire process was expected to be completed within the next four to five years.

The Government was also laying great stress on building at least 17 strategic roads in Arunachal Pradesh and this project was also expected to be completed in four years.

IAF to set up hi-tech landing for Army on China LAC

1 person likes this.
  2. Manmohan Yadav

Manmohan Yadav Brigadier STAR MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Thats good for both IA and IAF, i wonder when will it be completed

3. Foxtrot

Foxtrot Captain SENIOR MEMBER

i think it will be of not much use during real war scenarios........these landing grounds r very close to the LAC.......so they r susceptible to enemy fire......for ex...the Nyoma advanced landing ground is some 20 km away from the LAC.....during war all kinds of artillery shells, rocket launchers, cruise missiles, air raids will be targeted against it.......and hence it will be very difficult to keep it operational.....

4. vikas jat

vikas jat Captain SENIOR MEMBER

so in your sense we can also able to destroy chinese rail network near border aREAS or tibet area .....but chinese are still developing rail networks ..this airstrip are help in force deployment in quick time when a war is on verge to start or we can take the risk because our basic structure is still not developed so these airstrips are part time measures until we dont have road n other network near lac

5. Himanshu Pandey

Himanshu Pandey Don't get mad, get even. STAR MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    We need to do a lot more with godspeed to match china in eastern sector

6. Foo_Fighter

Foo_Fighter 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

I think China is overrated and that works for us cozz when we underrated them, then they gave us a good sucker punch in 1962... however, I feel given the current circumstances China is going a bit fast for India (Don't forget they have Russia) and we are going tooo slow for them (given we have Pakistan and we actually in real terms focus there more)... I wonder who finds the better breakeven... I wish the next one replies correctly becomes the next UN President

7. lucifer

lucifer Lieutenant SENIOR MEMBER

since I have no intention of becoming the prez of an outdated and useless organization, I choose not to reply correctly :) and also your question wasnt really that clear!!

8. Foo_Fighter

lol... you in me good book :)

9. lucifer

:cheers:

10. Foo_Fighter

anywayes... I will make meself more clear regarding our concerns with China. My queries are as follows:

1. Are we really sure about their capabilities in Weapon terms (including all warfare)
    2. Are their operational plans really focused for india rather then their self development which india actually fails to do cozz of people like mayawati
    3. Are we not actually focusing more towards Pakistan (where we can do surgical) where we can actually develop or could have developed better relations with china (Diplomatic failure) ???

I think China has a big fish in Russia to worry about, I believe we should concentrate on better relations than thinking about better retaliations we can make.

My guess I might be wrong.

11. lucifer

anywayes... I will make meself more clear regarding our concerns with China. My queries are as follows:

1. Are we really sure about their capabilities in Weapon terms (including all warfare)

I wont say sure, but we do have a pretty good general and overall idea of their capabilities but then again them being an authoritarian & disciplined state, leaks are hard to come by and are generally shared with India by 3rd countries.

2. Are their operational plans really focused for India rather then their self development which India actually fails to do cozz of people like mayawati.

It is both I feel, with such massive & rapid economic development, any country would like to better its defenses and China is no exception. And with such, they do have to be ready for all possible conflict scenarios, including any war like situation with India.
    Ref: http://www.indiandefence.com/forums...-border-will-raise-tensions-12770/#post147496

3. Are we not actually focusing more towards Pakistan (where we can do surgical) where we can actually develop or could have developed better relations with china (Diplomatic failure) ???

Yes we are because the immediate threat to our national security is from pakistan, with it being a nearly failed & outlawed state. China is much more responsible and actually thinks about its people too when making a foreign policy decision rather than hastily making one for monetary gains for the PLA or MSS.
    Our dispute with China is mainly for India playing host to a Chinese theocratic monk, and for which China often presses India in many ways to understand it better.
    Also China has obviously played its cards right here, by hedging pakistan with India thereby trying to inhibit India's progress.

I think China has a big fish in Russia to worry about, I believe we should concentrate on better relations than thinking about better retaliations we can make.
    China & Russia's border issues have pretty much been worked out between the two and both are founding members of the SCO which many mistakenly match with NATO.
    Ofcourse we want better relations with China, but with CPC..... lets see what the leadership changes there in 2012 has in store for India.

1 person likes this.
  12. Foo_Fighter

Wow thanks for that.. will keep me shut for a while

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.