Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

IAS or IFS : Require help in career choice

Discussion in 'Education & Research' started by randomradio, Aug 17, 2017.

1. randomradio

randomradio Colonel REGISTERED

A friend has some questions regarding what career choice he should make. Can someone help him out?

@Hellfire @vstol jockey

--------------------
    I am giving my mains this year, so I am confused regarding preference order of services and those of cadres within a service.
    I am interested in Pakistan, China and defense stuff, so what will be better in long term: IAS or IFS?
    Also, within IAS, what are good cadres?

PS: I am pathetic in writing too, took Sanskrit to avoid writing, last time wrote 3000 words were more than half a decade back, lol!
    Any tips regarding exams? If I don't do well, I will have practically put my career in a bin!

Actually I am not worried about the DAF yet. I just wanted to know which service you will have more powers related to defense stuff and relations with Pakistan and China etc.
    Like many IAS officers are appointed in Defense ministry but people like ShivShankar Menon have more worked on policies related to Chinese relations.
    I want to get in that kind of stuff.
    Of course, it will depend on qualifying upsc with a good rank, but as I have to fill DAF within 4 days and there device preference is required, so asking right now.
    --------------------

Gessler likes this.
  2. NKVD

NKVD Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    IFS For Sure :agree:

3. turkish

turkish Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Little strange though if someone is smart enough to clear with ranks high enough to have option to choose between two equally prestigious branches of service is confuse over which one to opt for? I assumed clarity of thoughts came naturally to people with that kind of intellect. Then again I was never smart enough to secure a good rank. So, what do I really know.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  4. Hellfire

Hellfire Devil's Advocate THINKER

Country Flag:
    India
    @randomradio It does not make much of a difference as to which you chose if the state of mind is as present. IFS is preferred for the obvious reason of foreign postings/tenures and it is, at the end of the day, the choice of the top of the bracket of the intake for that year.

My suggestion would be IFS (provided the person concerned is in the top bracket of the exam) otherwise, even IPS is not a bad option. We do need secure societies and honest cops who can take on the corrupt and the criminals alike. Actually even IRS is not bad as the same is applicable there too. What is required is the 'josh' to work for the nation and the integrity to remain true to the employer (that is only the Republic of India and not even the Government) and work for the betterment of the nation - a hard proposition for majority of Indians :)

This is the only exam I have not taken and my exposure to it is limited although have the younger lot of relatives (three of them) appearing at the mains this year. And have 3 years on my age limit (virtue of being ex-serviceman) to appear for it ;) (no intent). Had bought Rau's material 7 years back when I was fiddling with the idea of taking the exam for the heck of it as have a fair bit of capability in writing and plenty of useless stuff stored on my 'RAM'. Tell the person to practice writing extensively and in timed slotting. As the person has conceded that the person is poor in writing, this will be a major handicap.

5. Pundrick

Pundrick Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    The confusion should have been between IPS & IFS. IAS guys mostly get local administration related jobs so no thrill for those who are looking for gun fires, bombs, diplomacy etc etc.

I think from this year govt has changed the training pattern for IFS, from now onwards the new IFS has to serve in their respective state as kind of ambassador for few months. And then they'll get chance to serve in any foreign country.

6. randomradio

randomradio Colonel REGISTERED

Thanks for the help, guys. He will be choosing IFS.