Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

If BJP wins in 2014.

Discussion in 'National Politics' started by Anish, Mar 11, 2012.

?

If BJP wins in 2014 what should modi be?

Poll closed Mar 14, 2012.
  1. PM

13 vote(s)
    65.0%
  2. Finance Minister

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  3. Defence Minister

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  4. Home Minister

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaRk KnIght

DaRk KnIght Lt. Colonel ELITE MEMBER

Come to UP and experience it.

2. RAGE

RAGE 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

economy, global influence, best among developing, lots of parameters, we have been among world leaders and world started noticing us in last 10 years or so..

now deny everything. :respect:

3. DaRk KnIght

If congress can survive 1984 then everything is possible.

4. DaRk KnIght

Let me try to elaborate some facts.

Name of the country Gained Independence GDP Per Person HDI

Australia 1901-1986 $40000 0.929

Malaysia 1957 $8500 0.781

Mauritius 1968 $7900 0.701

Vanuatu 1980 $2800 0.693

Sri-Lanka 1948 $2800 0.691

SA 1961 $8300 0.619

India 1947 $1527 0.547

Pakistan 1947 $1200 0.504

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Member_states_of_the_Commonwealth_of_Nations#Current_members

Click on the links of individual countries to check their current status.

We are most probably in the bottom 10 countries.

Noe deny the facts. :azn:

Economy: Our economy is because of our huge population. Per capita income is extremely low. It is like saying UP is better than Punjab because UP has a higher GDP.

Global Influence: Not much

World Leaders: In??

1 person likes this.
  5. DaRk KnIght

Double Post.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  6. Hembo

Hembo OLD MOD STAR MEMBER

Well Gujrat's HDI improvement since 2000 till date is also comparable to that of Pakistan's. Will it be a reason enough to compare Gujrat with Pakistan.

The fact is that Gujrat as well as India in general has been improving in lot of areas in comparision to Pakistan. It will be foolish to compare either Gujrat or India in general with Pakistan based on ONE of the indexes.

7. RAGE

RAGE 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Australia.... all hail the queen..:facepalm:

8. DaRk KnIght

You have taken the argument in totally different context. The argument was primarily based on the present condition of the former colonies and not on their present development record. His argument was that we are better than the most of the former colonies while opposite is correct. We are developing and there is no doubt about it but simply saying we are better than others is not a proper statement to be made.

1 person likes this.
  9. Poison

Poison FULL MEMBER

Still, a large country, very less population, abundant natural resources, Australia is in a different league altogether.

10. DaRk KnIght

Denial has been started. :azn:

11. DaRk KnIght

Refer post 169 (link) and find out 15 countries (former colonies) having less GDP per capita income than India(For Rage).

Let me make it simple for you. Pakistan, Bangladesh, Uganda. Now count 12.

12. Hembo

Hembo OLD MOD STAR MEMBER

You're right. But there are couple of things I would still like to highlight.

a) What irked me was your comparision of India's development (aka GDP per capita) to that of Pakistan. Even if one wants to do so, ours is still about 25-30% better then Pakistan and the gap is fast widening.

b) We have to compare the state at which India was left by the colonies & what are the basic differences between India & the other so called former colonies. And yes, I agree with rage that its only apt that Australia should not be compared with the rest.

- India was a fragmented jumble up of countries which included numerous former countries or princely staes, who had different cultures, languages, aspirations & most importantly it had millions & millions of extremely poor people when the colony-master had left us. In fact stitching together the country in the formative years had been a challenge, unlike others.

- Very limited educational infra, defence infra (was very important for india, unlike others), huge coast-line to defend, communal dis-harmony.

- Ravaged by post independence conflicts, wars till 1971, which takes a huge toll on the then nascent economy.

Although these sounds like excuses, but these (of course along with rampant corruption from some of the politicians, bureaucrats, defence organizations) played a major role to tie us down till 1990s.

However, the late 80s fiasco with the so called THIRD front govt., I would any day prefer Cong or BJP led govts.

Now the question is which one is the lesser of the evils. BJP certainly has been tested less. So I guess, we can give them some more chance to prove the cynics wrong. Although looking at the political leaderships, I am not that hopefull.

We need smart & educated guys to take the mantle of politics now, if we are to kick-start the second phase of growth.

13. DaRk KnIght

However point to be noted is that in 1990 an average Indian was just earning 54% of his pakistani counterpart. Present gap is widening but this is a recent trend. We are not in a position to say that we are better than other former colonies.

Not denying it. Let us assume that we were left at the worst state (in comparison to other colonies). But are we better then them in present?? Answer is NO. Only our growth rate is better and our GDP which ia actually a result of our huge population.

And Leave Australia. Take random countries. I have listed a few.

Why we are not better than others is not the point here. There are many reasons. You have mentioned some but still...we are not better.

We need governments which can function effectively for 5 years in order to maintain our growth rate. That is why I am opposed to any kind of Mid-Term election.

I support BJP too :mrgreen:

I guess you are not of the view that only oxford chaps should lead the country :wink:

14. Guynextdoor

Guynextdoor Lt. Colonel SENIOR MEMBER

irrelevant and misleading. Bigger countries have more complex growth problems. Big countries acheving high growth rates is no joke. By your logic new zealand must have the same influence as India. Global Influenc- NOT MUCH? You on pot? The only country in the world that bent the whole international nuclear regime to come to an exception- no inflence?

15. rcscwc

rcscwc Major SENIOR MEMBER

Train to Pakistan was not started by BJP.

Compare congress failures. Start with Kashmir. One third of Kashmir was gifted to Pakistan.

Aksai Chin shame. China occupied the territory and Nehru Cong was sleeping.

62 shame. China grabbed more territory because Nehru had weakened the Army to impotence.

65 Ran of Kachch. 10% of terri rory was gifted to Pakistan.

In contrast, the govt did not rest till Kargil was forcibly vacated. About IC 814, there was a huge clamour for getting the hostages freed. Not a single party, not even congress, advised a hard stand. It is a matter of record. Btw, freeing of terrorists in exchange of hostages is older than Kandhar. Do you know, 4 terrorists were freed in exchange of Mufti Md Sayeed's daughter.

Scams started with Cong. In 1950, Dr Dharam Teja, close to Nehru, gobbled up crores in shipping scandal, Nehru kept quite.

Bofor scandal is well known. Spectrum scam is still fresh. Illegal mining continues in AP and WB. Illegal mining in Goa is Congi gift.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.