Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

'If I could change just one thing in India, I would abolish the caste system'

Discussion in 'National Politics' started by brahmos_ii, Oct 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brahmos_ii

brahmos_ii Major SENIOR MEMBER

'There is a human aspect to relationships in India which is missing in the West...'

'What really makes me sad with our country is that the majority feel that politics should be avoided. We don't have our best people in politics. We could have been a developed country in 15 years if our best brains had come forward to lead the country,' says politician, academician, activist Dr Subramanian Swamy in Rediff.com's special series where well-known Indians speak about their India.

I could have lived abroad, but I chose to come back here because this is a better country to live in.

There is a human aspect to relationships here which is missing in the West. Here we make lasting friendships which are based on warmth and understanding and an emotional connect.

In the West, friends are business-like and contractual. Here family relationships and bonds are stronger.

We have an extended family here whereas in the West it is a nuclear family and even that nuclear family does not last. Mom and Dad live separately in many cases which is a norm there but a rarity here. Here, marriages are sacred.

Here we accept people for what they are with all their faults and shortcomings. We are not judgmental. While over there, people are very judgmental and point out shortcomings. They accept only a certain kind of behaviour and will be upset if you behave differently.

What really makes me sad with our country is that the majority feel that politics should be avoided. So what has happened is that we don't have our best people in politics. We are saddled with leaders who never place the country before themselves.

We could have been a developed country in 15 years if our best brains had come forward to lead the country. Instead, we are led by corrupt politicians and after 66 years we are still underdeveloped.

Good people are not in politics and that is my greatest regret. People look down on politics and politicians. The elite think it is declasse to indulge in politics. The intelligentsia looks down on politics. The middle class does not respect politics.

Our leaders have lost the trust, confidence and love of the people.

This has to change and good people should come to lead the country. There is still hope.

If I could change just one thing in India, I would abolish the caste system.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  2. Anees

Anees Lt. Colonel ELITE MEMBER

Country Flag:
    United States
    This will not happen until Political party for their own profit exist in our country...

3. Himanshu Pandey

Himanshu Pandey Don't get mad, get even. STAR MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    one of the best brain of politics had spoken and spoken right again :tup:

4. layman

layman Aurignacian STAR MEMBER

Country Flag:
    United States
    If i could change just one thing it would be take of all the damn reservations. Every one should have equal rights to compete and have the piece of pie.

1 person likes this.
  5. Himanshu Pandey

Country Flag:
    India
    no need layman'ji.... once you remove caste system how you are going to give reservation based on cost :wink:... its 2 birds by one stone and thats why I said a brilliant had spoken.

6. layman

Country Flag:
    United States
    They will still marginalize minorities based on religion and community and keep the reservations based on that... That is why if the whole reservation system has to be abolished.

7. Himanshu Pandey

Country Flag:
    India
    there is no reservation for minorities.. they all are under same caste based reservations and in some places its lang based but nowhere it is religion based.. this is why andhra HC stopped government from applying muslim reservation.. as its against constitution.

8. layman

Country Flag:
    United States
    Issue is they will make ways to show that they need reservations based on minorities for sure if the caste system is abolished. You know our politicians. Dont give them a hole then they cant do much.

1 person likes this.
  9. Rock n Rolla

Rock n Rolla Lt. Colonel STAR MEMBER

Yes :tup: Need to abolish the caste system and all the minority appeasement laws too. All citizens should be treated as equals...but when will that happen?? :blink:

10. Himanshu Pandey

Country Flag:
    India
    they can't... that will be unconstitutional... and to do that they need to chance a lot of articles of constitution including premble... which they can't.

this reservation on religion is against our premble, fundamental rights, Directive Principles of State Policy.

and The Supreme Court has ruled in Kesavananda Bharati v. State of Kerala case that not every constitutional amendment is permissible, the amendment must respect the "basic structure" of the constitution, which is immutable.

so they can't change it.. even today they had reservation on the base of castes in them and against popular believe, India don't entertain minorities on the basis of religion but on the basis of language.. if you are a hindi speaking person in tamilnadu you are an minority... but people are not been taught this so our politicians can gain all the false leverage.

muslims are minority because their language urdu is minority language in every state and this is why punjab don't treat sikhs or other punjabi speaking hindus as minority even when they are very few in comparison of muslims in all over India

2 people like this.
  11. Himanshu Pandey

Country Flag:
    India
  12. Ayush

Ayush 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

And I would like to change the - CHALTA HAI attitude

13. omya

omya Lt. Colonel ELITE MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    as if all lower castes are ready for this :dude:

14. Zeus_@21

Zeus_@21 Major SENIOR MEMBER

Oh Great!! Then start giving reservation to the needful i.e. the poors, who suffer the most. Abolishing caste based reservation will be great.

But, Never gonna happen......:dude:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.