Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

India Added 12.4 million GSM Users in September

Discussion in 'World Economy' started by prototype, Oct 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. prototype

prototype Major SENIOR MEMBER

Indian GSM mobile subscribers have grown at 2.58 percent, swelling the burgeoning user base with 12.4 million users, as per the Cellular Operators Association of India. The total number of GSM users clocked in at 494 million; a rise of 13 million over the figure of 481 million users added in the previous month.

Uninor, a newcomer to the Indian telecom sector, showed staggering growth registering 2.2 million customers at rate of 23.9 percent. Its subscriber base is now pegged at 11 million, up substantially over the previous figures. BSNL subscribers grew to 72.6 million by adding 2.3 million users at a growth ate of 3.32 percent.

Idea Cellular grew at 2.03 percent, adding over 1.4 million subscribers for a total number to 74.2 million. Its market share is pegged at 15.2 percent. Bharti Airtel evinced a growth of 1.44 percent to establish a market share of 29 percent with a total of 143 million subscribers. Vodafone Essar expanded its user base to 115 million, adding 1.7 million users in the month of September for a growth of 1.56 percent compared to the last month.

This growth story comes as no surprise. As reported earlier, most of India's mobile phone sale come from low-end, high volume handsets. This is further boosted by the growth of small players like G'Five, Micromax et al and who are now right at the heels of far bigger players like Samsung and Sony Ericsson. With cellphones getting cheaper and more feature rich, this trend will even grow more prominent. The future indeed does look rosy with predictions pegging a 97 percent mobile user density by 2014.

http://http://www.techtree.com/India/News/India_Added_124_million_GSM_Users_in_September/551-113173-613.html

2. AVADI

AVADI Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

These are all for only numbers sake what they don't report is the quality of service these providers provide.But on the broadband side it is simply Pathetic state of affairs.Hope TRAI does some thing in the near future.

3. Patrician

Patrician Lieutenant SENIOR MEMBER

Quality is definitely an issue but hey something is better than nothing.

It means a lot to chaps sitting in some of the most remote corners of the country where landlines are not there.

4. AVADI

AVADI Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

What you are saying is true but [anger mode] when ever i hear a announcement from the government like we have added x number of subscribers or planning to add N numbers i get really furious these are only for common illiterate man's consumption.What do these government fools take us for.But when i see educated people using this to fell proud about our country i mean come on this is really pathetic.[/anger mode]

5. Coltsfan

Coltsfan <b>SENIOR MEMBER</b> SENIOR MEMBER

India has 494 million GSM users? that is almost half a billion. It seems awfully high considering India has only 1.2 billion people. Clicking on link doesn't help its broken.

Fact check anyone?

6. Patrician

Patrician Lieutenant SENIOR MEMBER

I have a doubt which I could never get cleared. Can we assume that all those people who have a mobile phone are above the poverty line and hence can afford a decent living for themselves?

7. True_Indian

True_Indian 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Half of new connections are done by distributess themselves..they will activate it then destroy it...just to show business and growth in market.

8. Coltsfan

WiKi Link

Apparently the figures are correct........ Never realized every other person in India had a cell phone.:cheers:

9. prototype

no actually that does not work that way,because the every single person i know owns atleast 3 GSM connection's,so every Indian still does not posses a connection

10. Coltsfan

I guess you are correct, esp with dual SIM cards and what not....... do we have any realistic data as to what % of population has at least 1 cell phone?

11. prototype

their is no such data,but may b around 300 million,given everyone is using 2 SIM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.