Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

India Has More Effective Options Than Surgical Strikes - Army Chief Rawat

Discussion in 'Indian Army' started by defc0n, Jun 29, 2017.

1. defc0n

defc0n 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    New Delhi: Army Chief General Bipin Rawat has said that India has far more impactful and effective options than surgical strikes to deal with Pakistan. Rawat also said he was wary of USA’s move to designate Hizbul Mujahideen chief Syed Salahuddin as a global terrorist.

I will wait and watch to see if Pakistan truly reins him (Salahuddin) in, because he was issuing a calendar of protests on the very day he was designated,” said Rawat, in an interview to Hindustan Times.

Talking about the recent beheading and mutilation of two Indian soldiers, Rawat said, “Pakistan thinks it is fighting an easy war that’s paying them dividends, but we have options (other than surgical strikes) that are far more impactful and effective. Our Army is not barbaric. I don’t want to (collect) heads because we are a disciplined force.”

On the Kashmir issue, Rawat claimed that talks could only happen if there was peace in the Valley, a job that the Army has to do. He also said that he would personally hold talks with the person who could assure him that his convoy would not be hit.

The Army chief also said that they were trying to reach out to youth leaders in Kashmir, in the hopes of deterring them from violence. He claimed that he didn’t want “innocents to be caught in the crossfire”, and that the Army did not want any collateral damage.

Rawat also touched on the human shield controversy and defended the actions of Major Leetul Gogoi. “The election commission staff called for help. What if they had been lynched?” he asked. “I am not on the ground. I don’t know what my boys are going through, but I have to be the motivator,” he said, while citing the lynching of deputy superintendent of police MA Pandith outside the Jamia Masjid mosque in Srinagar.

He also dismissed rumours that there were incursions by the Chinese army in Sikkim. “I don’t know where the visuals are from, but they are not from Sikkim,” said Rawat.

Source : http://www.news18.com/news/india/in...al-strikes-says-army-chief-rawat-1445393.html

2. bharathp

bharathp Developers Guild Developers -IT and R&D

Country Flag:
    India
    reading reports that these incursions are into Bhutan and not Sikkim.

https://www.facebook.com/vikramjit.singh.3382?fref=nf

defc0n likes this.
  3. Lion of Rajputana

Lion of Rajputana Captain FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    United States
    defc0n likes this.
  4. bharathp

Country Flag:
    India
    yes - Bhutan requested Indian Army to intervene to Prevent China from building a road inside Bhutan. thats what the FB page says.

defc0n and Lion of Rajputana like this.
  5. Lion of Rajputana

Country Flag:
    United States
    Makes sense, since Indian troops are stationed there. Honestly, as time goes by and China starts creeping up more and more, I think Nepal and especially Bhutan might as well join the Indian Union.

6. bharathp

Country Flag:
    India
    You are entitled to your opinion. but I would hope that you would not say these in other forums.

No country likes to "join" other countries. they have their own culture, identity, history. when someone says things like these, in a sense it belittles their culture and identity.

If Bhutan is unable to stop the Chinese - then it is the duty of the moral world to stop the Chinese and still let Bhutan be Bhutan. - my 2 cents.

surya kiran, sangos and defc0n like this.
  7. Lion of Rajputana

Country Flag:
    United States
    No, I don't, nor do I belittle any other group of people, and I certainly do not have any sort of ideological or religious goal to recreate any ancient country (i.e. "Akhand Bharat" etc). I also do not speak of using force against these countries. But China is only going to further encroach and become more and more assertive in the near future, and in my opinion, sooner or later Nepal will have to make a choice between joining the Indian sphere of influence or being swallowed by China in one way or the other. In Bhutan's case, they are already a protectorate, just like Sikkim was, and it would be beneficial to their defense against China to be better integrated with India.

Regarding your last sentence though, the world doesn't give a damn unless there's something in it for them, and morality rarely dictates foreign policy. Otherwise Tibet wouldn't be a part of China right now.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
    bharathp likes this.
  8. defc0n

Country Flag:
    India
    I agree completely. I don't see the need either. Why would India want to take additional responsibility not only in terms of security but also in a complete sense.
    The best China can do is bark, like they are doing by reminding India of "history". They know this pretty well, that the gap between history and present in terms of our capability is enough to make them bleed to death.

9. bharathp

Country Flag:
    India
    1) Bhutan is NOT a protectorate of India and neither is Nepal. not officially. In fact, Bhutan has expressed several time, its doubts on India's capability to defend Bhutan during a 2 front war. their closeness with India was really because of China - when Chinese swallowed Tibet, Bhutan was next.

2) the world doesnt give a damn - but I wish India gives a damn to other countries independence and sovereignty. I wish that If and When India gets stronger, we use the strength to protect other peoples way of life and let them be as they wish in their own countries - and not absorb them into our own.

10. defc0n

Country Flag:
    India
    Bhutan is a protectorate of India and even Bhutan knows it very well in their heart! The prime reason why they are dependent on India to save their ass from China.

Lion of Rajputana likes this.
  11. bharathp

Country Flag:
    India
    again - you are entitled to your opinion. But I hope that we should not use such belittling words for countries who actually value us for who we are. "save their ass from china" -
    1)Bhutan is a small country - not their fault.
    2) they chose to be introvert - their wish
    3) - they are surrounded by India and CHina - not their fault
    4) China is belligerent - not their fault but very unfortunate
    5) India will be there to take care of it - very good for them

but if Indians start belittling them or treating them as wth a big brother attitude, it will only create a bad taste for Bhutan about India.

surya kiran likes this.
  12. Lion of Rajputana

Country Flag:
    United States
    1. Official, unofficial doesn't matter. Indian troops are stationed there, and we both know that when China comes encroaching or invading, it'll be Indian troops that stand up to them; as we recently saw. Bhutan IS a protectorate for all practical purposes.

2. That's overidealistic, and India isn't running some charity here. We both know what happened the last time India got involved somewhere on humanitarian grounds. Instead, India should adopt a stance similar to what it did with Kashmir, when they demanded accession before fighting Pakistan, India needs to make it clear that while they can help, it's not going to be free. And that there needs to be something in it for them as well.

Also, you seem to have misunderstood my point since you mentioned forcible absorption, that was never my point, I am not advocating invasions; but India needs to make it clear that it cannot be a one sided affair, that there needs to be some gain in it for India as well. And that you cannot expect India to handle your defense for you against China while simultaneously tooting the "sovereignty" horn.

defc0n likes this.
  13. defc0n

Country Flag:
    India
    Your 5th point proves as to why they are the protectorate of India. And by the statement "save their ass from china", I didn't belittle them. It's a fact and they know it too.

14. Lion of Rajputana

Country Flag:
    United States
    Your intentions seem to be good, and I agree that sometimes Indians knowingly or unknowingly adopt a condescending and disparaging attitude towards some of the smaller countries in the neighborhood which leads to resentment; but that is not what @defc0n or I are doing here.

defc0n likes this.
  15. bharathp

Country Flag:
    India
    I understand this point of view. as I said - you are definitely entitled to your opinion. It is just different to what I think is right. I am an idealist - cant help it.