Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

India overtakes Japan to become third largest Internet population in the world

Discussion in 'Education & Research' started by Rock n Rolla, Aug 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rock n Rolla

Rock n Rolla Lt. Colonel STAR MEMBER

India has now become the world's third largest online population, overtaking Japan once again, according to a new report. The country has recorded a huge 31 percent growth year-on-year in terms of unique visitors, with the current number of standing at 73.9 million people who access the Internet from a home or work-PC.

The data, revealed by a ComScore study titled “2013 India Digital Future in Focusâ€￾, points to the country featuring after China and the United States in the top Internet user population list. China tops the list with 348.17 million users while the United States comes in with 191.37 million unique visitors.

India's online population growth year-on-year is second only to Brazil, which has recorded a 37 percent increase to account for 62.1 million unique users. An intriguing detail revealed by the report shows that 75 percent of Indian Internet users are below the age of 35. This basically means that India has the youngest online population among Brazil, Russia, India and China (BRIC).

[​IMG]

The heaviest Internet users are accounted for by men falling in the 25 to 34 year age bracket and women falling in the age bracket of 35 to 44 years. Overall female Internet users accounted for 39 percent of the Indian Internet population, though.

There is a considerable increase in Non-PC traffic growth as well. Mobile and tablet shares in India have now grown by 14.2 percent since the last year. Not surprisingly, the report states that handheld devices are now the preferred choice for many, especially on-the-go. Some of the most important forms of information accessed on handheld devices include updates on the weather, blogs as well as entertainment and music.

The fastest growing web category in India is apparel, surprisingly, which leads the race with 13.4 million unique visitors, amounting to an 85 percent increase from last year. The second in line is comparison shopping, rising to 52 percent and accounting for 11.1 million unique visitors. Another noteworthy observation in the report is the increase in the Indian blogging audience, rising to account for 35.9 million users, a growth of almost 50 percent. 26 percent of that traffic come from mobile or tablet users.

Social networking continues to grow in India, with Facebook leading the charge. The social network registered a 28 percent increase in the number of visitors in the last 12 months, with an average user spending 217 minutes on Facebook every month. Overall, 86 percent of Indian Internet users visit a social networking site. LinkedIn comes in at number two, recording a 58 percent growth year-on-year, while Orkut, Tumblr and Pinterest feature in the top seven list. The report also notes that 54 million Internet users in India now watch online videos on their computers. This represents a 27 percent year-on-year growth.

With a whole lot of data, it is clear that the Indian Internet usage is on the rise. While the age brackets still place the majority under the age of 35 years, it is still a considerable population that spends a lot of its time online.

1 person likes this.
  2. The Drdo Guy

The Drdo Guy Captain SENIOR MEMBER

Good news....growing netizens....

3. Marqueur

Marqueur Peaceful Silence ELITE MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    its a shame ... Japan's population is ~128 million ... from this 95.5 million have access to Internet .. that is ~80% population of Japan has access to Internet.

on the other hand India's population is 1 billion + ... from this 164.81M have access to Internet that is 10 to 15% population of India has access to Internet.

just add the no. of user and ranking is decided ... is this fair !!! i dont think so !!!

1 person likes this.
  4. layman

layman Aurignacian STAR MEMBER

Country Flag:
    United States
    Well i guess GoI is not interested in engaging the public with Social media, pretty much they are old school.

5. Rock n Rolla

Japan is a developed country, so no surprise there. But ours should've been much much better...China with 1.344 billion population has 348 million users & India with 1.241 billion population have only 75 million users :fie:

6. kiwi1988

kiwi1988 FULL MEMBER

26% from cell and tablets? I am surprised the availablity of apps is huge I would of thought it would be higher. One other idf forum has already accessed a useable app on their forum. Way of the future.

7. Manmohan Yadav

Manmohan Yadav Brigadier STAR MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    I guess you haven't seen the UPA adds
    they are claiming the credit for all the
    reach and availability of the 20 Million cell phones and computers
    in this country

as if they pay for what we buy :dude:

8. omya

omya Lt. Colonel ELITE MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    reason - 2g unlimited net is for Rs.48 :dude:

9. Manmohan Yadav

Country Flag:
    India
    give me 3G for Rs.148 :dude:
    then i will consider giving them some credit

10. Rock n Rolla

1 GB 3G pack with 1 month validity available for Rs. 139 from BSNL, I use that on my mobile.

11. omya

Country Flag:
    India
    tata is giving 3g for Rs.28
    Rs. 250 ke recharge pe u get 1gb 3g net for 30 dayz :dude: n Rs.222 balance(no day limit)
    last november se using it

12. omya

Country Flag:
    India
    oohhh if u r thinking im giving credit to dummb a$$ congressy looooser sibbal den u r wrong...

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  13. Manmohan Yadav

Country Flag:
    India
    is the service good ?

14. Manmohan Yadav

Country Flag:
    India
    Relax Bro. i am not ACCUSING you of anything
    I know you hate them just as much as i do.

1 person likes this.
  15. Rock n Rolla

In Kerala yes, it's good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.