Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

India ranks sixth on eight great powers in 2017: American foreign policy magazine

Discussion in 'International Politics' started by Agent_47, Jan 27, 2017.

1. Agent_47

Agent_47 Admin - Blog Staff Member MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    WASHINGTON: India is ranked at the sixth spot, behind China and Japan, in a list of eight great powers for the year 2017 by a leading American foreign policy magazine which is topped by the US.

The list is topped by the US, whereas China and Japan are at tie for being on the second spot. Russia (fourth) and Germany (fifth) are the other two countries ahead of India. Iran is ranked seventh and Israel is on the eighth spot.

"Like Japan, India is often overlooked in lists of the world's great powers, but it occupies a rare and enviable position on the world stage," The American Interest magazine said in its latest annual report of eight great powers.

India is the world's largest democracy, home to the second-largest English-speaking population in the world and boasting a diversified and rapidly growing economy, it said.

On the geopolitical front, India has many suitors: China, Japan and the United States are all seeking to incorporate India into their preferred Asian security architecture, while the EU and Russia court New Delhi for lucrative trade and defence agreements, it noted.

"Under the leadership of Prime Minister Narendra Modi, India has deftly steered its way among these competing powers while seeking to unleash its potential with modernising economic reforms," it said.

According to the magazine, despite internal problems in the aftermath of demonetisation, and the Pakistan scare, India found its footing elsewhere in 2016.

"Long hesitant to pick sides, New Delhi took several clear steps this year to deter a rising and aggressive China, announcing that it would fast-track its defence infrastructure projects in the Indian Ocean, amid fears that China was trying to encircle India with a 'string of pearls'," it said.

"Likewise, Modi explored new naval cooperation with both the US and Japan, and signed a host of defence deals with Russia, France and Israel to modernise the Indian military," it observed.

"From the Middle East and East Africa to Southeast Asia, India is making its presence felt in both economics and security policy in ways that traditional great powers like Britain and France only wish they could match," The American interest said.

Read more at:
    http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...ofinterest&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=cppst

Rain Man, defc0n and SrNair like this.
  2. Vidyanshu

Vidyanshu Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

What makes my happy is that they didn't name UK :biggthumpup::biggthumpup:

GRH, kiduva21, Rain Man and 3 others like this.
  3. Ripcord322

Ripcord322 Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Let's take a minute for #Respect to Germany....To this day.....Their technologies give 'metaphorical boners' to engineers across the planet... Despite being reduced to rubble after WW2...Being split in half till the mid 80's....They are still a very very prosperous, powerful and advanced nation.

After India.....Germany is the country...I respect the most..

Coming back to the topic...

India is doing well...From being Poor...Overpopulated and Hungry...We have made quiet a bit of progress...Good Going....We will definitely see our country prosper more in the coming decades....

But...
    I wish that even we are someday regarded on par with China...A country that like us had its own share of utter....disparity...Poverty..And a huge population...

Iran is pretty powerful too....A few decades of economic Simulation and foreign trade....Then we will be seeing a truly powerful Iran...As well as a truly multi polar middle East....

They have a lot of R&D (much more than KSA )....And many other strong indicators....

Israel at Number 8 amazes me.... Despite being a tiny state with a miniscule population , surrounded by *not so friendly* neighbors and having very very serious conflicts they are very prosperous.... Advanced and of course... Powerful.....
    Wow....

Vidyanshu likes this.
  4. The BrOkEn HeArT

The BrOkEn HeArT 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    I hope this ranking is about Great powers (influence in the region and rest of the world) , not about "Business powers". How the hell Germany and Japan are powerful than India? Both countries are in under the influence of U.S.. They don't have individual influence in the world but India. N I'm surprised no France in the list. I think France has much influence in the world than that of Iran , Japan and Israel .

5. The BrOkEn HeArT

The BrOkEn HeArT 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    @Agent_47 you have given wrong link I think.

6. GSLV Mk III

GSLV Mk III Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    But Britannia rules the waves !! :cheesy:

AbRaj likes this.
  7. Vidyanshu

Vidyanshu Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

My A** !!

Rules with what, 6 Type 42 destroyers and 1 Helicopter carrier?? :rofl::rofl:

All alone by themselves, they can't even overpower Pakistan, in a conventional warfare.

And if you are talking about their nuclear subs, then even France has equal number of SSNs and SSBNs , twice the number of Destroyers + 1 nuclear Aircraft Carrier, but never herd them being mentioned as ruling the waves, although I agree that French Navy is a very respected and formidable blue water navy.

And let's wait for a decade of so, even we will have a decent fleet of SSN, SSBN and an overwhelmingly bigger fleet, all above a large defence budget and a larger economy.:india:

GSLV Mk III likes this.