Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

India To Fast Track Four Projects In Indus River Basin

Discussion in 'International Relations' started by ranjeet, Oct 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Shearer

Joe Shearer VETERAN MILITARY STRATEGIST

You forget that Bangladesh's major complaint is against the restriction of the Ganges at Farakka, not of any paucity of water in the Brahmaputra or the Jamuna/Meghna. On the contrary, there is an embarrassment of riches in that system.

I understand that these problems came to the attention of the administration already, and I understand that civil and military action has been in progress in these areas since 1956.

Yes, this government has shown great initiative. It has granted a flag and a passport. Brilliant.

I must ask if you have latterly seen a map. How, precisely, do you propose that India should access Xinjiang?

Oh? Just like that? Remember, nobody is talking about cutting off the Brahmaputra; only about restricting the flow sufficiently to cause discomfort and distress. What experts shot this down, and where are their conclusions to be found, other than in your posts?

Inactive likes this.
  2. Joe Shearer

I am mystified, on what basis do you say that 50:50 is unfair? On what basis should it be something else. You mentioned logic; do share your logic with the uneducated.

What is the difference between a terrorist nation that routinely reneges on its own agreements, and a non-terrorist nation that proposes to routinely renege on its own agreements? This is very subtle. Perhaps some elucidation.....?

Inactive likes this.
  3. Inactive

Inactive Guest

Expand on this brilliant appreciation please

4. Lion of Rajputana

Lion of Rajputana Captain FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    United States
    50-50 of a resource should be shared between Equals, India and Pakistan are not equals, not in size, population, or need of water. Fairly straight forward logic. Add to that the fact that these waters come from India, and India was kind enough this long not to use them as any sort of leverage.

5. Joe Shearer

As you are aware, having dealt with this subject at such length, the arbitration was done by experts, and was endorsed by Indian experts. I would be interested to know your credentials to inform us what 'should' or 'should not' be done. Further, I am interested to know from you if the matter of the respective rights of an upper riparian state and a lower riparian state is decided on the basis of size, population and need of water of the entire state in both cases, or the affected size, population and need of water. In which case, I would be interested to know how you calculate the ratio between the affected portions in Pakistan and the affected portions of India.

You are of course aware that not all five rivers and the Indus are affected by this treaty; please inform me how you come to the conclusion that the Indus 'comes' from India, and if the Indus originates in India, or 'comes' to India from somewhere.

Inactive likes this.
  6. Inactive

Inactive Guest

@Lion of Rajputana Yes ... I would like to know your views on this part please.

7. Lion of Rajputana

Country Flag:
    United States
    As far as Pakistan is concerned, the Indus comes from India because it passes through India before it reaches Pak and as a result, India could create troubles for Pakistan as far as the Indus and certain other rivers are concerned...

8. Lion of Rajputana

Country Flag:
    United States
    Wouldn't be the first time India quietly acquiesced to getting the short end of the stick would it. Our "large-heartedness" and "Restraint" are famous by now.

9. Inactive

Inactive Guest

If things were that simple ......

India could ... India will not.

Bregs likes this.
  10. Lion of Rajputana

Country Flag:
    United States
    There are a lot of far more simple things India "could" have done but either never has, or hadn't up until now.

11. Lion of Rajputana

Country Flag:
    United States
    China has some very very serious seismic issues in that region which it has already begun triggering with some of its past damming projects. The Brahmaputra would be a massive headache to significantly alter. The impact wouldn't be on India alone, if China shuts off or seriously decreases the flow to India, the same happens to Bangladesh. And China is already involved in a similar dispute w/ SE Asian countries regarding the Mekong, and it obviously has a massive reputation that precedes it.

12. Joe Shearer

And as far as China is concerned, India is a lower riparian state with which she DOES NOT have a treaty. Now put the figures of the Tibetan population next to that in the stretch up to the juncture with the Zanskar River and do your size-population-need arithmetic.

13. Lion of Rajputana

Country Flag:
    United States
    Imposing? Bully boy tactics? Browbeating? Lmfao, talk about an exaggeration. If you are one of those people who is ok with being shortchanged in a deal, and then proceeds to call it a fair deal, good for you I suppose.

Refusing to accept that type of injustice doesn't make one a bully or brow beater. And openly saying that it was an unfair deal and that we at least shouldn't be glorifying and endorsing this unfair deal, is not bullying either.

14. Joe Shearer

<sigh>

India has the identical serious seismic issues. Please look up Latur, which is part of the famously earthquake proof Deccan Plateau.

You may have noticed that China, as you have suggested is proper for India, doesn't care about what others think; she goes and does what she wants. The South China Sea being a case in point.

I am amused that you mention with some distaste for the bad manners on display that China has a massive reputation, presumably for arbitrariness and ham-handed handling of a situation, only a single post after you have recommended that India should behave in the identical manner. Sauce for the goose, but NOT sauce for the gander, I see.

15. Lion of Rajputana

Country Flag:
    United States
    Good, then I'm sure China will be ok with cutting off water from Bangladesh as well in the process, and add another case of water deprivation to its rap sheet after what it is doing to the SE Asian countries w/ the Mekong. In addition to the territorial aggressions it commits against EVERY neighbor, the right to navigation controversy and its appropriation of much of the South China Sea.

I'm sure that'll work out great for them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.