Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

India to launch series of military satellites

Discussion in 'Indian Military Doctrine' started by abirbec04, Oct 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abirbec04

abirbec04 Captain SENIOR MEMBER

Bangalore: India plans to launch a series of indigenously built military satellites with surveillance, imaging and navigation capabilities to keep a watch on its neighbourhood and help guide cruise missiles, a top defence scientist said on Saturday.

"There will be a series of (defence) satellites. I cannot give you the numbers because they are classified," VK Saraswat, Scientific Adviser to the Defence Minister, said here.

"Each year, you will find one or two satellites going up," added the Secretary, Defence R & D and Director General of Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).

Mostly, these satellites are dedicated to different defence applications and would have payloads which are for surveillance, imaging, navigation and communication.

"You should be able to see with very high resolution and precision the movements of troops and things like that (in the neighbourhood)," Saraswat said. "You should be able to see what are the new buildings and new facilities which have come up".

India would be able to send data and commands through these satellites to cruise missiles. "So it will have tremendous applications", he said.

These defence satellites would be indigenously built and launched from home soil only given the "security sensitivity", Saraswat stressed.

"The Army, Navy and Air Force each have their own requirement and it won't be appropriate to say how many each of them would need, due to security considerations," Saraswat said.

India has taken up development and launch of these defence satellites under its space-based surveillance programme, which has a road-map for setting up satellites for all applications for the Army, Navy and Air Force, he said.

"Now, this road-map has been given to the Department of Space and the Department of Space is taking its own schedule for launching these satellites. We have only one Department of Space and we have huge requirements...," he said.

Saraswat said India has already launched some satellites under this programme.

:: Bharat-Rakshak.com - Indian Military News Headlines ::

2. Dilemma

Dilemma Captain SENIOR MEMBER

No offense but I wonder how many Israeli components the indigenous satellite will have.

3. True_Indian

True_Indian 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

^^isreali components even if it is there is not a big concern..I will be worried if there is any US components.
    this is a good development..we can reduce dependence on US, and isreali,satalites.

4. Dilemma

Dilemma Captain SENIOR MEMBER

Correct me if I'm wrong but India has never used US satellites for its military. I won't think US would allow us to. As far as military grade GPS goes, we use Russian satellites.

5. jagjitnatt

jagjitnatt Major ELITE MEMBER

India does use GPS for military purpose. Glonass has recently been made operational at full capacities. It has been a problematic navigational system.

India uses Glonass as well as GPS.

6. brain_dead

brain_dead Captain SENIOR MEMBER

this is great. dedicated military Satellites, our own Operating System, our own GPS, dedicated communication network etc etc etc.
    we are going to see a complete transformation of our military in the coming decade.

7. prototype

prototype Major SENIOR MEMBER

If some of them r radar imaging satellites in nature,then i hope its most critical part SAR should b Indian rather than Israeli

8. brain_dead

i wish we can make a satellite that can give us live visuals of the land. i dont think any country has such a satellite operational.?

9. jagjitnatt

making such satellite is not a big deal. Being able to monitor so much of data is the problem. We do not know which part of country to monitor and at what time.

1 person likes this.
  10. brain_dead

but we dont have to monitor whole of country at once. keeping an eyes only on the western border to check the infiltration will do. i think.
    i a real war case, the usage can be increased, and we would want to get live updates of enemy military formation.
    i dont think even US is capable of doing this..??

11. jagjitnatt

The western border is huge. I was talking about the western border only.
    At a resolution of 100m X 100m, we'll have to take at least a few lac pics to be able to monitor the border. It is not the technology, but the man power where we fall short. Also a satellite can not be monitoring the whole of western border at the same time. Only a small part of it, a very small part. So the operators have to decide what part they want to focus on.

1 person likes this.
  12. True_Indian

We need to have anti satalite weapons too. Our scientists are still not in to it.. They are simply saying all building blocks are there and we can quickly do it if needed. When our operational missile which were developed after several tests fires fail again in user trails how can we believe their wordrs.

13. prototype

prototype Major SENIOR MEMBER

we already have the platform for anti sat in the form of Prithvi missiles,it is not that much high technology for us,if we can have a 99 percent successful ABM or if we can launch 10 satellite at 1 go successfully,this is more about accuracy which i believe we have

And by the way India is not going to test it as far as not in this decade,due to our soft and sluggish policies

14. brain_dead

i think more than an anti-satellite weapons we need defence systems for our own satellites.

15. True_Indian

Thats what i mean..when tested and proven missiles fails in operational trails we can't believe those claims of this capability being there. in the matter of defending i think we are able to move the satellite to different orbit and possibly escape.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.