Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

India to test fire sub-sonic cruise missile Nirbhay next year

Discussion in 'Indian Military Doctrine' started by flanker143, Nov 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flanker143

flanker143 Captain SENIOR MEMBER

[​IMG]

Looking to add more lethal firepower to its arsenal, India is planning to test fire its latest 1000-km range sub-sonic land attack cruise missile ‘Nirbhay’ early next year.
    Nirbhay will be a terrain hugging, stealthy missile capable of delivering multiple warheads as per mission requirements.

“We are looking to test-fire the new sub-sonic cruise missile in the first quarter of 2012. The Nirbhay will be a new state-of-the-art missile,â€￾ DRDO officials told PTI here.

With its range of 1,000 Km, the missile has longer reach than Pakistan’s Hatf-7 Babur missile, which claims to have a range of 700 km.

The missile is being developed by the Advanced Systems Laboratory under the DRDO.

Sources said the missile will be sleeker than other similar weapon systems that are operational with different countries.

The Nirbhay will be India’s second cruise missile after the 300 km range BrahMos, which is a supersonic system. The missile can be launched from multiple launchers and will be inducted into all the three services.

2. satya

satya Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Hahaha first they killed nascr with prahaar now babur with nirbhay

3. Nick 779

Nick 779 Captain SENIOR MEMBER

You cannot kill a missile with another missile. Anyway, why are we so Pakistan centric when the real threat is from China?:blah:

4. Jungibaaz

Jungibaaz Lt. Colonel ELITE MEMBER

killing missiles....? have fun!

p.s. Babur II has been under development for a while, expected this year or the next.
    I need not mention the CJ-10K story.

5. Firemaster

Firemaster Captain STAR MEMBER

By killing He meant "Answered with"

For the bold part can you tell its technical Specifications

6. Firemaster

Firemaster Captain STAR MEMBER

He meant "Answered with"

For the bold part can you tell its technical Specifications

7. Jungibaaz

I know what he meant but I don't see how you can make a missile to counter a missile made for a specific need. in war either side will get hit.

CJ-10K.

Height - 7.2m
    Diameter - 0.75m
    Solid fuel
    Guidance system(s) - INS, GPS, COMPASS, TERCOM (disputed but tech exists on other CMs), COMPASS and DSMAC
    Range - 2500km
    Speed - un-known but mach 2.5 at later stages

A land attack CM.
    It has air launched and sub launched versions too.

1 person likes this.
  8. satya

Nascr system has certainly lost its effectiveness because when 150km range prahaar missile will be deployed near border or even 80-90 kms away nascr will have very little chance to do anything,
    As far as cruise missiles are concerned we didn't had any answer to babur but next year we will have.
    Please elaborate on cj-10k programme who is building it? I will google it but you tell

9. Jungibaaz

Well mate Prahaar is superior in terms of range, but it doesn't mean that it has been made in effective, NASR was made to hit targets within immediate range of the border with either a conventional warhead or a small tactical nuke.

As for Babur vs Nirbhay.... yes Nirbhay will have superior range as compared to Babur I, but Babur II which is expected soon will have more range.

As for CJ-10K, it is part of a purchase of 6 QING Class subs, CJ-10K is a Chinese CM.... see specs posted above.

10. satya

I will not go in tactics,but if your NASR is deployed somewhere b/w 5-50 kms from border and at the same time prahaar is present within 100kms from border,your NASR is definately under threat,
    I dont know if you are not understanding this scenario or not accepting it
    What about babur 2 schedule?

11. TereBinLaden

TereBinLaden Captain STAR MEMBER

satya usually its not missile vs missile scenerio, for a missile of this class it is missile vs troop case (Prahaar/Nasr)

12. Manmohan Yadav

Manmohan Yadav Brigadier STAR MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    I am looking forward to the Nirbhay test.

13. SajeevJino

SajeevJino Major SENIOR MEMBER

I think you should know about AGNI series of missile ....only one enough to take out entire Pakistan....I think you dont have missile shield

14. jagjitnatt

jagjitnatt Major ELITE MEMBER

I didn't expect Nirbhay to be test fired that soon. I guess missile development is one area, DRDO keeps surprising me.

15. TereBinLaden

TereBinLaden Captain STAR MEMBER

Actually not, some odd 200 kilo tons worth of Trinitrotoluene (TNT) explosive may not be enough, anyways I would prefer debate instead of a flamewar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.