Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Indian Army Air Defence Systems

Discussion in 'Indian Army' started by Ankit Kumar 001, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Ankit Kumar 001

Ankit Kumar 001 Major Technical Analyst

Country Flag:
    India
    A single thread to collate news, discussions, explanations and pictures of different programs to add and upgrade capabilities of Air Defence by Indian Army.

@Agent_47 @PARIKRAMA I request you to make this thread sticky.

2. Ankit Kumar 001

Country Flag:
    India
    The systems of Army for Air Defence.

1. MRSAM
    2. SR SAM
    3. QR SAM
    4. Akash SAM
    5. Self Propelled Air Defence Gun and Missile System
    6. Self Propelled VSHORADS system.
    7. MAN Portable VHSORADS system.
    8. Anti Air Artillery.

Jointly Operated.
    1. Indian BMD.
    2. S400 System.
    3. AAD SAM

PARIKRAMA and Agent_47 like this.
  3. Lion of Rajputana

Lion of Rajputana Captain FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    United States
    A few years ago, I remember reading how India was lagging very far behind in certain sectors of defense such as artillery, ammunition/spares to fight a sustained war and anti-air defense systems which prevented India from being ready for a war. I first saw this point being raised very seriously by VK Singh in that letter to MMS and later saw it being repeated in articles over the years.

So my question is, has India taken serious steps to build upon and also update/upgrade its existing anti-aircraft capabilities recently? Also, it seems like the focus of acquisitions has been missile systems, so is India moving towards a purely missile based anti-air defense, or are there plans to procure newer, better gun systems as well?

4. Ankit Kumar 001

Country Flag:
    India
    Project
    MR SAM
    [​IMG]

MR SAM is the product of JV between IAI and DRDO/BDL , for a multirole all weather Advanced Surface to Air Missile Project.

Components of the system.

Indian Army will have these divided into 5 Regiments.
    Each Regiment consists of a command and control system, tracking radar, missile and mobile launcher systems. Each launcher will have eight such missiles in two stacks and are launched in a canister configuration.
    There are a total of 8 TEL with 8 MR SAM missiles each ready to fire.

Indian Army initially plans to procure 5 regiments with 40 Launchers. A total of 10 batteries divided between 5 regiments initially which will reach to a full strength of 20 Batteries for 5 regiments with follow on orders.

This would mean 80 TEL , together holding 640 MR SAM ready to fire missiles.

The total amount of initial buy is estimated to be 2.5 Billion USD in Feb 2017.

Missile General Specifications
    Weight of Missile :- 275 kg approx
    Length of Missile :- 4.5 Meter approx
    Diameter :- 0.54 Meter approx

Range of engagement :- 70-90 km [Max] ; upto 500m [Min]
    Altitude :- Atleast 16km.

Propulsion :- Two Stage Smokeless,pulsed Rocket motor

Speed :- Mach 2 in first stage. [Speed in 2 stage for engagement classified ]
    Guidance system :- Two way datalink and Active RF/IIR seeker

Warhead :- 60Kg
    The missile has 360° , multi threat multi engagement capability , meaning a single battery can counter a variety of a number of threats simultaneously.

PARIKRAMA likes this.
  5. Agent_47

Agent_47 Admin - Blog Staff Member MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    Why do i feel 5,6 and 8 are redundant.

6. Ankit Kumar 001

Country Flag:
    India
    Self Propelled AA Gun and missile system would be there for some time, I think we had a RFI for upgrade of our Tunguska.

Self Propelled VSHORADS are to replace the MT LBs mounted with Igla and Strela.
    Would be handy. As not every unit on the frontline will have access to a QRSAM unit.

Anti Aircraft Artillery , well our neighbours are buying them in big lots. I feel BSF with these AAA will have good chances to shoot down the UAVs and helicopters. Few modern units should be brought.

7. Anish

Anish BANNED BANNED

Country Flag:
    India
    Detailed Requirements of 250 Strela Missiles required by Indian Army

4. Gapabilitv Souqht in the Equipment. AAD Directorate seeks missiles for Strela 10M (9M 37M) weapon system with the following broad characteristics :-

(a) Phvsical Parameters.

(i) Size & Weiqht. The dimensions and weight of the missile should be compatible with existing Strela 10 (9M 37M) combat Vehicle of Russian origin. Dimensions and weight of the missile in container is as under:-

[​IMG]
    (aa) Dimensions. Note more than 290 x29O x 2330 mm'

(ab) Weiqht. Note more than 71 kg.

(ac) Transportabilitv. The Missiles in its container should be transportable by in-service vehicles'

(ad) TemPerature.
    (aaa) Operating Temperature: (0oC to SoC) to (40oC to 45oC). (aab) Storage Temperature: -1OoC to +50oC (Vendor Certification).

(b) Operational Parameters. The missile should be compatible with Strela 10M (9M 37M) combat vehicle for engaging aerial targets'

(i) Galiber. Not more than 120 mm.

(ii) Tvpe of Guidance. Passive, Three band (Optical/lnfra-red), gyroscopic, Fire and forget type.

(iii) Max Missile Speed. Should be more than 500 m/s (Vendor Certification). (iv) Minimum Effective Ranqe. Should be less than 5 Km.
    (v) Dead Ranqe. Should not be more than 800 m'
    (vi) Maximum Effective Heiqht. should not be less than 3.5 Km.

(vii) sinqle shot Kill Probabilitv. (Vendor certification)

(viii) Fighter Aircraft

(ix) Helicopters

(x) Salvo of two missiles against fighter aircraft

- 50-630/o' - 98%'
    - 86%'

(xi) Maximum Tarqet Speed. The missile should be capable of engaging

targets wrth speeds mentloned below. (Vendol Celtiliuutiult).
    (aa) Approacher Tarqets. should not be less than 400 m/s. (ab) Receder Tarqets. Should not be less than 300 m/s'

(xii) Shelf Life. Should not be less than 6 Years. (Vendor Certification

Attached Files: