Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Indian Army Artillery

Discussion in 'Indian Army' started by MilSpec, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Abingdonboy

Abingdonboy Major Technical Analyst

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    They should be able to ramp up production so they can produce 1 regiment's worth every 1-2 months and then churn them out for 4-5 years.

Lion of Rajputana and Hellfire like this.
  2. Hellfire

Hellfire Devil's Advocate Staff Member MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India

Are we looking at a dual production as in both OFB GCF and Private entities? Any clues?

Abingdonboy likes this.
  3. Abingdonboy

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    I think so, OFB will take care of Dhanush 45/52 production, ATAGS will go to the private sector (Bharat Forge or TATA). Between these companies, the IA should easily be inducting >100 towed arty pieces a year, if not significantly more.

Hellfire likes this.
  4. Abingdonboy

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom

Even 50 regiments is a very conservative figure, 8 regiments for ATAGS would be a total failure, this gun should have a production run >20 regiments especially with the older FH-77Bs coming up for retirement.

5. Abingdonboy

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    Indian Army working on Mega order of Dhanush Artillery guns: Report
    2-3 minutes
    SOURCE: IDRW NEWS NETWORK

[​IMG]

With the smooth conclusion of all major user trials of Six Dhanush Artillery guns by India Army, idrw.org has been informed by reliable industrial sources that after the Initial order of 114 155mm/45- Calibre Dhanush Howitzer Gun, Indian Army is working on Second mega order deal to acquire more Dhanush Artillery guns soon.

Indian Army is likely to place an order for 300 more Dhanush Artillery guns soon over the initial order of 114 guns which are already in production by Ordinance Factory Board (OFB). Initial orders for 114 Guns will be concluded by 2019.

With production rate of Dhanush Artillery guns to touch 60 per annum in 2019, Bulk order fo 300 Guns will require nearly 5 years for completion of the order but Indian Army is reportedly happy with proposed production timelines since major chunk of orders will likely be reserved for 155-mm, 52-calibre towed Advanced Towed Artillery Gun System (ATAGS) artillery gun developed by DRDO with private defence sector companies .

ATAGS is currently going through developmental trials which soon will see first few prototypes been handed over to Indian Army to begin User trials which will commence rigorous integration and a testing cycle which can last for nearly three years before Army places an Initial order for the new Ultra Modern artillery gun.

large-scale induction and production will commence from 2024 onwards and Army might be inducting nearly 1500 + Guns over a decade which might see first Private Defence Production orders. OFB already has developed 55-mm, 52-calibre version of the Dhanush Artillery guns which already has cleared internal company trials, is also on offer to Indian Army to commence user trials if interest is shown by Indian Army.

--------------------
    --------------------

For Dhanush, 414 units (114+300/23 regiments) was always the goal but as said above this is looking to be expanded. 60 Dhanush/year plus a similar number for ATAGS (with a private players) will meet my hoped for >100 guns/year induction rate for IA.

IA's arty regiment is going to be transformed in the space of a decade (SPG (K9) , MGS (CAESAR most likely), towed (Dhanush and ATAGS, ULH (M777), LFG etc etc), last peice of the puzzle is the mammoth 814 unit MGS requirement.

@PARIKRAMA @Hellfire @Gessler @Agent_47 @Ankit Kumar 001 @GuardianRED @ni8mare @Vergennes @Fox @Sancho @randomradio @SrNair @Levina @nair

6. Gessler

Gessler Lt. Colonel Technical Analyst

Country Flag:
    India
    I didn't get notification! @PARIKRAMA

Hellfire likes this.
  7. Hellfire

Country Flag:
    India

There is some problem with notifications, especially with multiple tags. I did not get few either!

@Domain @bharathp @WhyCry

Gessler likes this.
  8. bharathp

bharathp Developers Guild Developers -IT and R&D

Country Flag:
    India
    looking into it now.. if you are online (I can see your green online mark) - can you tag me? I want to see if I am getting the tag

@Hellfire

9. Hellfire

Country Flag:
    India

I pushed off I guess :)

10. Ankit Kumar 001

Ankit Kumar 001 Major Technical Analyst

Country Flag:
    India
    Not 1 Dhanush more than 414 will be bought. Even the 300 155/52 will get DAC's nod after it has completed the first set of field trials .

As usual useless and sensational news from a $hitty source.

The requirement of 155/52 artillery is over 3000 new pieces. Excluding M777, tracked and truck mounted.

And ATAGS, Dhanush and Trajan/Israeli 155/52 will together full fill it.

randomradio, surya kiran and Hellfire like this.
  11. Hellfire

Country Flag:
    India

True. Aim is standardisation across all Artillery Guns to stabilised 155 mm with mix of 45 and 52 cal.

surya kiran likes this.
  12. Agent_47

Agent_47 Admin - Blog Staff Member MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    I want a 155mm Indian MGS :argh:. Ready to wait 5 more years.

enquencher, ni8mare and Blackjay like this.
  13. Ankit Kumar 001

Ankit Kumar 001 Major Technical Analyst

Country Flag:
    India
    @Hellfire

What is the average shelf life of a 203mm artillery round ?

Because according to release made by Pakistan on defence manufacturing , the POF section has stopped mentioning manufacture of 203mm rounds after 2013.

14. Hellfire

Country Flag:
    India

No idea. We have ammunition as old as 25 years moving along. @MilSpec will be better poised to answer this question.

Ankit Kumar 001 likes this.
  15. Vyom

Vyom Captain GEO STRATEGIC ANALYST

They have about 85 of these M115/M110 howitzers in service. on last count in 2010, having a range of 17 kms at max. Since shell production stopped in 2013, i doubt they have much life left...

Hellfire likes this.