Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Indian Army Artillery

Discussion in 'Indian Army' started by MilSpec, Dec 22, 2016.

1. randomradio

randomradio Colonel Technical Analyst

As long as tank development is progressing in India, I'm happy.

2. Guynextdoor

Guynextdoor BANNED BANNED

Remember Tank Ex? Arjun turret on T 72 chasis?

Inactive likes this.
  3. AbRaj

AbRaj Captain FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    I will be happy if they come up with something like this (keep in mind its an ww2 era Patton)
    [​IMG]

Inactive likes this.
  4. Agent_47

Agent_47 Admin - Blog Staff Member MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    @MilSpec
    What is the status of 300mm rocket artillery? India only have 62 Smerch while Pakistan produced 200+ A-100E with TOT . Is that correct?

5. Ankit Kumar 001

Ankit Kumar 001 Major Technical Analyst

Country Flag:
    India
    They have ~120 A100E.They plan to have upto 240.

But they would by now have ~200 155/52 Panter. They got its licence from Turkey.

6. Gessler

Gessler Lt. Colonel Technical Analyst

Country Flag:
    India
    Still in development AFAIK. However I think we can assume that the indigenous 300mm MBRL will also be having the option of rockets with a Precision Guidance Kit (PGK) and a range of between 120-150km. I believe this at least partially explains why the Army didn't jump on the Prahaar SSM.

Although not related to artillery, a more interesting question would be about the Prithvi-II SRBM's replacement. Info I gathered several years ago pointed at the possibility that both the Shaurya QBM and a fully solid-fueled, canister-based Prithvi-III were being considered as possible replacements. Of these, we've already seen the Shaurya fully developed & tested, paraded at Rajpath and what not...but P3 is still nowhere to be seen. If we assume the P3 concept is still alive, we should have seen at least some official news by now. The relation with the K-15/B-05 and need for a platform to demonstrate SLBM technologies somewhat explain the relative quickness in Shaurya's development.

Then, more recently we heard about the Pralay - another such tech-demo missile project.

@PARIKRAMA @Abingdonboy @randomradio @vstol jockey @GuardianRED Anything to say about P2 replacement?

GuardianRED and PARIKRAMA like this.
  7. GuardianRED

GuardianRED Captain FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Here is what prasun said in his blog in 2015

Since 2012, the US has been taking keen interest in India’s plans for acquiring exo-atmospheric/endo-atmospheric interceptor missiles, especially after the latter officially decided not to field a new generation of solid-fuelled tactical ballistic missiles—be they conventionally armed or nuclear-capable—for replacing the liquid-fuelled Prithvi-1 NLOS-BSMs of 1990s vintage. What this essentially meant, was that unlike Pakistan, India will not use ballistic missiles of any type that are conventionally armed, since such weapons have zero counter-force/counter-strike value. Pakistan, on the other hand, views conventionally armed ballistic missiles as weapons that can be employed as ‘terror weapons’ against civilian targets like large Indian cities as part of an effort to demoralise the civilian population residing in cities that are either India’s financial hubs, or technological hubs.

http://trishul-trident.blogspot.ae/2015/10/the-iafs-perception-management.html

Gessler likes this.
  8. Gessler

Gessler Lt. Colonel Technical Analyst

Country Flag:
    India
    Against Pakistan, use of SRBMs might just be completely done away with and the offensive tactical role taken over by a mix of ground & air-launched BrahMos, Nirbhay LACMs and use of specialized munitions like SAAW.

But against China which has extensive cruise missile defenses and highly integrated ADN, and which would be making use of large numbers of Short/Medium-Range DF-16/18-type solid-fueled BMs against air & army bases? Our cruise missiles will be indispensable nonetheless, but use of tactical ballistic missiles of the P3/Shaurya type could also be necessary. I did hear from PKSG that we were building extensive mountain/underground complexes (horseshoe-shaped I believe) to house conventional/nuclear BM/CMs closer to the Tibetan border than any existing strategic site like this (which mostly exist only in peninsular India).

But don't worry, I'll soon have a chat with Prasun and get his latest opinions on the matter.

9. MilSpec

MilSpec Mod Staff Member MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India
  10. Robinhood Pandey

Robinhood Pandey SECOND IN COMMAND Staff Member SECTION CHIEF

Country Flag:
    India
    Schwifty and AbRaj like this.
  11. Echo_419

Echo_419 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    I think they did mention IDF as a source

My profound apologies, I must have used this article as a base for my own article & then forgot to give the source LOL
    I admit the mistake is mine,1st fuckup since I started writing so forgive me
    I will ask the people at TFI to add this particular thread as a source at once

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
    Robinhood Pandey likes this.
  12. AbRaj

Country Flag:
    India
    Dhanush Troop Deployment

lca-fan likes this.
  13. AbRaj

Country Flag:
    India
    Mountain trials

Robinhood Pandey and lca-fan like this.
  14. AbRaj

Country Flag:
    India
    Firing sequence

Impact

Aqwoyk, Robinhood Pandey and lca-fan like this.
  15. AbRaj

Country Flag:
    India
    Nice compilion