Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Indian Army General News

Discussion in 'Indian Army' started by jagjitnatt, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Inactive

Inactive Guest

Parrikar approves plan to post ADGs to Northern, Eastern commands

The Army’s top brass is upset with the Ministry of Defence’s (MoD) move to create two senior civilian positions to look after engineering projects in army commands responsible for both Pakistan and China borders.

Army sources said the decision was taken by the MoD unilaterally without taking the Army leadership into confidence. Ministry sources said they were going ahead with implementation of the decision.

The MoD recently issued orders, with Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar’s approval, to create the new posts of Additional Director General (ADG) for both Udhampur-based Northern Command and Kolkata-based Eastern Command. Most engineering projects in the two commands would now be administered by the newly appointed ADGs, whose offices are not to be based in command headquarters but in Jammu and Guwahati.

As a consequence, Command Chief Engineers, who now look after all engineering and construction projects, will be merely responsible for engineering regiments. Key projects such as construction of forward military bases, facilities for the new Strike Corps against China, and modernisation of Advanced Landing Grounds along the China border will come under the civilian officer, because Military Engineering Service (MES) offices and Chief Construction Engineers (CCE) will report to the civilian ADG.

A senior Army officer called it a disruption of the military’s functioning and said the Army leadership had made a representation to the Ministry, following which a temporary hold was put on the orders.

When contacted, a senior Defence Ministry official said, “The decision was taken at the level of the Defence Minister and so all concerned would have been taken on board.” He said there was no hold on the orders issued.

In an October 13 order, MoD Under Secretary Anurag Sharma wrote to the Engineer-in-Chief of the military, “The competent authority has decided to create a post of ADG (North) by suppressing the post of ADG (D&C) Pune with headquarters at Jammu to look after the work services and infrastructure projects pertaining to Army and Air Force in the geographical jurisdiction of Northern Command (Army).” The newly created ADG (North) will be “responsible for overall monitoring and supervision of all MES works in the Northern Sector under all Chief Engineers Zones (Army and Air Force) and CCE of Northern Command.”

The order also said the newly created ADG (North) will directly report to the Engineer-in-Chief, and not to the Command Chief Engineer. “This issues with the approval of the Hon’ble Raksha Mantri,” the order said.

A similar order was issued on October 17 for the Eastern Army Command.

‘Not consulted’
    “None of the stakeholders were taken into confidence, neither the Engineer-in-Chief, nor the chiefs of the three services, nor the Army commanders,” a senior Army officer said.

He pointed out that there was a “great deal” of coordination between the MES and Corps of Engineers in the command areas in executing strategic projects. “Now that they are splitting the command authority, it could lead to serious coordination issues and ego clashes,” he explained.

Several projects are taken up by Engineering Regiments and MES border jointly, including putting up operation shelters.

For years now, other tensions have simmered. Civilians get promoted to only staff appointments beyond the rank of Zonal Chief Engineers. And they have regularly petitioned the government about ‘discrimination’. The new ADG posts might have been devised to address the issue.

Tensions between civilians and military engineers increased after the 6th Pay Commission recommendations were implemented in 2008. Junior civilian officers got better perks, such as business class tickets and better pay bands, than military officers senior to them.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/nation...lian-engineers-upsets-army/article9272142.ece

Levina, PARIKRAMA and Grevion like this.
  2. Inactive

Inactive Guest

@BlackOpsIndia @Darth Marr @seiko @Grevion @PARIKRAMA @nair @Joe Shearer @Levina @MilSpec

There is a great work by Fyodor Dostoevsky - The Idiot, I am sure most would have read. It has a very apt saying:

There is a line in everything which it is dangerous to overstep;and when it has been overstepped,there is no return.

The above is one of the latest acts of stupidity by the present RM. Is he unaware or is it, afterall, continuation of Congress policy of finishing off the Nation's forces?

Joe Shearer, Levina, nair and 3 others like this.
  3. Inactive

Inactive Guest

Government Opens up Defence Canteens for Defence Civillian Pensioners

NEW DELHI: In a huge relief to lakhs of defence civilian pensioners, the government has sanctioned opening up defence canteen facilities across the country for them.

The sanction allows them to use defence canteens to purchase grocery items. However, they would not be able to buy liquor.

The approval by Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar has been welcomed by defence civilian pensioners who had been raising the demand for the last 10 years.

"We are very grateful to Parrikar for this move. I had even met former Defence Minister A K Antony but he had expressed his inability to convince the Army headquarters," T K Damodaran, Joint Secretary of Ordinance Factories and Allied Establishments Pensioners' Welfare Association, told PTI.

All such pensioners have been asked by the government to get their smart cards prepared to avail Canteen Stores Department (CSD) facilities.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...-civilian-pensioners/articleshow/48729347.cms

My query, if the civillians are given the same perks as the military, why not reverse?

Levina and PARIKRAMA like this.
  4. Grevion

Grevion Think Tank TROLL ELITE MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    @Hellfire what kind of poll is that??
    Offcourse we need the Indian Army. Every Indian is proud of the men and women serving the armed forces of India.

Levina, PARIKRAMA and BlackOpsIndia like this.
  5. Inactive

Inactive Guest

My disgust and disgruntlement at the present joker in the MoD! They are systematically eroding the structure of armed forces of India. Are you aware that the 'Defence Civil Employees' are also paid their salaries and pensions from Army's budget? Today the state is that there are almost 354000 odd Defence Civilian Employees for 1.2 million army and 95% of revenue expenditure is incurred on pay and pensions only?

6. BlackOpsIndia

BlackOpsIndia Developers Guild Developers -IT and R&D

Country Flag:
    India
    you mean those with group B and group C selected via SSC also get pension? is it true? I never read this anywhere, would like to know more about it.

Levina and PARIKRAMA like this.
  7. Inactive

Inactive Guest

I will find relevant information and put it up. The MES are supposed to work under Army. Now, you can see they have been allowed to become separate. The horror! As it is we see how things DO NOT work in PWD etc, imagine loss of Army Control over critical military infrastructure building and project execution!

The worst - they get NFU, and retire at 60 years of age. So a civil worker may actually be getting higher pay and perks than the controlling military officer. However, NFU in military has been denied to officers and for the Defence Civilian CSD etc have been opened!
    It is hilarious!

8. Inactive

Inactive Guest

It is ironical ... and who are you calling retarded?:angry:

Take facts as they stand .... I have posted the pointers, look for related stuff, you will find it apt. You may as well disband the army, the disgruntlement is at the level wherein we can actually end up loosing the only institution that works time and again when needed. Even now, it is working to ensure cash delivery all over India!!!!!

Grevion and BlackOpsIndia like this.
  9. Darth Marr

Darth Marr Captain FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    The Poll, not you........:blink:

Title : Civilians being posted at Border

Poll : Should Indian Army be disbanded?

...wait........what ? :disagree:

You are over reacting to rather extreme levels. Either way, i have tagged several people on twitter to see their opinions on the matter. On surface i don't agree with the move myself but then again i don't trust a word said by the MSM so i will wait for expert opinions..

Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
    Levina and Inactive like this.
  10. BlackOpsIndia

Country Flag:
    India
    A bit harsh, not retarded but the reason is the OP is closely associated with army and passionate about it. Try understanding things in context instead of going full ballistic.

11. Darth Marr

Country Flag:
    India
    You mis understand, i am calling the poll retarded, not him retarded. The word was NOT directed at him...

Dagger, Levina and Inactive like this.
  12. BlackOpsIndia

Country Flag:
    India
    I did not misunderstand your reply, calling him or poll retard is poor choice of words, you should read the thread first, if you put things in context it was overreaction at best, so you dont need to use such kind of words(this is what I am repeatedly told in PM by mods :'( )

We all are friends here, we can enhance our level of conversation or we can go down the poor level, which is sheer waste of time and typing, you can read vulgar language all around PDF, you will learn fast and it will save your time and effort to type :)

Anyways enough derailing the thread.

13. Darth Marr

Country Flag:
    India
    As i said, i don't know the big picture nor do i know the entire context as i don't trust the MSM at all. I will wait for replies from Generals(rt)/Officers i tagged on twitter. They usually gives replies. I did not think word retarded was even that offensive, but coming from pdf...maybe i have been desensitized...

14. Inactive

Inactive Guest

I know ... see the smiley (of an angry guy)?:biggthumpup:

Levina and Darth Marr like this.
  15. Inactive

Inactive Guest

Even as OROP Protests Continue, Defence Chiefs want DACP-like scheme for Military Officers

In his letter, Air Chief Marshal Arup Raha has asked the defence minister Manohar Parrikar to give the DACP to armed forces doctors but also similar pay scales to all other military officers.

Written by Sushant Singh | New Delhi | Updated: September 6, 2015 12:06 pm

Even as the agitation over One Rank One Pension shows no sign of abating, the Chairman Chiefs of Staff Committee (COSC), Air Chief Marshal Arup Raha, has written to Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar asking that all military officers be given a Dynamic Assured Career Progression (DACP)-like scheme.

This would mean assured pay of joint secretary at 20 years of service to all military officers, irrespective of the number of vacancies at that level.

Written on behalf of the three defence chiefs, Raha’s letter of August 25 to Parrikar preempts a coming hearing on the Supreme Court’s order of 2013 to the government to grant the DACP to all armed forces doctors. That order has not been implemented by the Defence Ministry so far.

Recommended by the Sixth Pay Commission, the DACP is currently applicable to the technical services — doctors, dentists and scientists — of the government of India. Under the DACP, a doctor is supposed to get functional grade pay of Rs 8,700 (equivalent to a director or colonel) at 13 years, and a non-functional grade pay of Rs 10,000 (joint secretary scale) at 20 years of service. The DACP was promulgated in October 2008 for all the doctors in Central government service, including the Defence Ministry, but the armed forces chose not to implement it.

The defence services have been opposed to grant of the DACP for their doctors unless a similar scheme is implemented for all armed forces officers. In its submission to the Armed Forces Tribunal on December 16, 2014, the Defence Ministry had cited a COSC note which said that granting the DACP only to doctors “would lead to resentment and would not be in the security interests of the nation”.

Despite losing the case in the Armed Forces Tribunal, as well as a special leave petition and an appeal in the Supreme Court, the Defence Ministry has not cleared the DACP for uniformed doctors. The ministry’s current appeal is scheduled for hearing on September 15.

Earlier, the attorney general and solicitor general had also advised the Defence Ministry to implement the Supreme Court’s order, saying any further challenge was likely to be quashed by the apex court.

In his letter, Raha has asked the defence minister to give the DACP to armed forces doctors but also similar pay scales to all other military officers. Else, ACM Raha says, it will cause “stratification of the officer cadre, based on differentials in Grade Pay with consequent Command and Control ramifications.”

http://indianexpress.com/article/india/india-others/one-more-demand/

@Levina

Remember our talk last time round of disgruntlement in Army?

The DACP was approved by GoI after Court Case won in Supreme Court. The MoD and reluctantly MoF granted assent, as did PMO and RM ordered implementation. Chiefs of Naval and Air Staff were in favor, the present COAS Gen DS Suhag put a dissent note and the same has stopped!

That is what I meant by the disconnect between the PB-4 and HAG with those below PB-4 i.e. PB-3 and lower Pay Grades.

In 3rd Pay Commission Armed Forces were offered NFFU, but was refused as 'there won't be a charm to become a General'. And the rest, as is said, is history.

http://indianexpress.com/article/india/india-news-india/pay-scale-upgradation-sc-to-army-you-will-lose-your-doctors/

http://www.dailypioneer.com/nation/now-armed-forces-docs-turn-heat-on-govt.html

BlackOpsIndia and Levina like this.