Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Indian Army General News

Discussion in 'Indian Army' started by jagjitnatt, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Abingdonboy

Abingdonboy Major Technical Analyst

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    Not going to happen, 100% assured.

And if it did, frankly the IA would be in for a bloodbath.

PARIKRAMA and Levina like this.
  2. Inactive

Inactive Guest

Nothing on ground. And Indian Military involvement in Afghanistan is as old as our presence as advisors and trainers in days of Ahmed Shah Masood.

We do have a military hospital running in Afghanistan. There is proposed plan of inducting trainers. But direct combat operations by IA personnel is not on cards. India has learnt it's lessons from Sri Lankan intervention quite well. If the government decides that Afghanistan is to become a state of India, then you may see IA there operating in numbers. Until and unless such a mandate is given, IA's role will remain restricted as now.

IA SF elements have been rumored to be operating there at times to enhance specific intelligence based operations in conjunction with Afghan Army but nothing on ground to corroborate it.

3. Darth Marr

Darth Marr Captain FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India

Ok, now I am curious.. We hv been training Afghan commandos since 2013.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
    PARIKRAMA likes this.
  4. Levina

Levina Admin- Social media Staff Member ADMINISTRATOR

Country Flag:
    United Arab Emirates
    I reckon.
    We do maintain special ops through our consulates in Afghanistan and ergo our consulates are perpetually under the threat of being attacked by Haqqani network.
    Burma is another country where our troops are present though not officially.

Wow!
    Closet Sanghi.
    Did you just hint at akhand Bharat? Lolz

On topic, so no boots on ground yet. UN peace keeping force is also not a possibility unless Afghanistan requests for it.
    Glad!

PARIKRAMA likes this.
  5. Levina

Country Flag:
    United Arab Emirates
    We do have an airforce base in Farkhor,Tajikistan.
    Don't we?

The base’s main function is to transport India’s relief and reconstruction supplies into Afghanistan.

PARIKRAMA and Gessler like this.
  6. Inactive

Inactive Guest

Nope. That is just the 'lessons learnt' portion of Indian intervention in Sri Lanka.

Under the so called 'Indira Doctrine' (inspired on the lines of the 'Monroe Doctrine'), the initial aim was to occupy Sri Lanka on a perpetual basis and divide it into two states: Tamil North and East: remaining Sinhala. Subsequently, to hold a referendum wherein re-unification with Tamil Nadu and subsequent reintegration into India. Lastly, Sinhala state would have also been absorbed/permanently occupied.

Her death changed the parameters of intervention with Indian troops not being given the political mandate as politicians were not sure of their aim either.

Hence, my post.

Any military intervention needs a clear poliical or diplomatic direction. Otherwise forces and resources mismatch occurs, leading to situations such as Vietnam, Afghanistan for Soviets and now US. When objectives are either obfuscated or ill defined, application of military force is only a means of violence and gets converted from its role of being an extension of the foreign policy.

No akhand bharat for me please. If I wanted to live in a cerain religious dominated society, I would base myself out of mid east.

7. Inactive

Inactive Guest

Since rise of Taliban and resistance by Northern Alliance led by Ahmed Shah Masood.

When I say SF, it does not necessarily mean SF. Can be SFF.

PARIKRAMA likes this.
  8. Levina

Country Flag:
    United Arab Emirates
    Relax. I had understood the context.
    But I took the liberty to pull your legs. Lolz

PARIKRAMA, Inactive and Darth Marr like this.
  9. Vyom

Vyom Captain GEO STRATEGIC ANALYST

Its not China's war either Do you want Chinese soldiers there ? wait they have already reached there.
    Point you have to understand there is a security vacuum in Afghanistan, and With American forces leaving that will either be occupied by China or Taliban, SImply because ANSF is not trained enough it will better itself in coming days but that will take around 5-6 years.

So Question Who Would you rather have in Afghanistan ? Our Forces or Chinese Forces or Taliban Forces?

Chinese are willing to risk Their lives for Their National Interest, Not My war is not an option these days, Fence sitting and not taking the opportunity to secure your own national interest is also Cowardice. the Question remains. Is the Indian Polity Capable enough to see the Armed Forces as an extension of foreign Policy ?

PARIKRAMA and Levina like this.
  10. Butter Chicken

Butter Chicken Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    State wise Army recruits

[​IMG]

Levina likes this.
  11. Levina

Country Flag:
    United Arab Emirates

This is a dare devil.
    Who else gives out his details like this???
    What about others involved in the operation? Prolly preferred to keep their names under wrap?
    @Abingdonboy @Hellfire @PARIKRAMA @nair

nair, Darth Marr, Abingdonboy and 2 others like this.
  12. Abingdonboy

Abingdonboy Major Technical Analyst

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    Lol, reminds me of something my teacher at school who was a former British Army officer told us; " if there's one thing the officers the world over like doing it is pinning pits of metal to each other's chest".

It's pretty typical for COs to be awarded like this, you won't hear about the junior operators- they just get on with their job but I'm 100% sure this CO would be the first to say he accepts the honour on behalf of his men and his Btn/regiment as well as that he did nothing more than his men.

+ good to see the PM (and former PM MMS) and much of the cabinet present, these men deserve to know their nation is behind them.

Darth Marr, PARIKRAMA and Inactive like this.
  13. Inactive

Inactive Guest

True.

And why not? When any failure is there, it becomes the CO's responsibility, so why not the success?:biggthumpup:

14. Levina

Country Flag:
    United Arab Emirates
    CO?
    COs are usually full colonels. This guy is just a major. He must have lead the team but he's definitely not a CO of a unit, though I heard other senior officers involved were also awarded but only his name was given out for he was involved in executing the operation. @Hellfire
    True.
    Manu pebby, another reporter present at the ceremony, tweeted that PM was clapping the loudest.
    It's a proud moment for all of us.

Abingdonboy likes this.
  15. Levina

Country Flag:
    United Arab Emirates
    Updating:
    There was a brave Naik Subedar too. :)
    Rest of the team will be awarded in April.

nair likes this.