Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

INDIAN ARMY ISSUES RFI FOR 200000 CQB CARBINES

Discussion in 'Indian Army' started by Hellfire, Jun 10, 2017.

1. Hellfire

Hellfire Devil's Advocate Staff Member MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India

This will be on a fast track basis. They are required urgently. 9 mm SMC is on a ventilator with the Oxygen Supply shut off! ;)

Exactly.

Abingdonboy likes this.
  2. X_Killer

X_Killer Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Abingdonboy likes this.
  3. Hellfire

Country Flag:
    India

Nothing most probably about it; you can make it 'most definitive'. :)

surya kiran, Abingdonboy and X_Killer like this.
  4. Johny_Baba

Johny_Baba IDF NewBie

Country Flag:
    India
    I don't think Galil ACE should be awarded with the tender at all.

It's just another Kalashnikov variant with some modernised elemets such as Rails,Adjustable+Folding Stock etc.

If We're going to induct another weapon based on Kalashnikov then just shorten up Excalibur Mk.1-C and make a carbine variant of it.

5. Hellfire

Country Flag:
    India

And why would we induct Excalibur, a product rejected by CAPFs, into Army? Please share your experience on this gem?

Ankit Kumar 001 likes this.
  6. Bregs

Bregs Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    who are going to be contenders for this mega tender ?

7. Ankit Kumar 001

Ankit Kumar 001 Major Technical Analyst

Country Flag:
    India
    IWI, Kalashnikov Concern, FN and Colt most likely.

8. Johny_Baba

Johny_Baba IDF NewBie

Country Flag:
    India
    Experience ? Well,i'm just another Keyboard Warrior that has not fired any firearm.

Back to topic,

This is Excalibur Mk.1-C
    [​IMG]
    this is an improved variant of Excalibur rifle that had suffered 2 stoppages out of some..um..20000 rounds (i don't remember the exact number) at trials - Not bad at all,but those chaps at the trials wanted some god-made weapon that must be capable of withstanding single stoppage per thousand of rounds.

Further,Look at this video (especially at 11 minutes)

What the chap saying is,Makers of the gun put a Rubberised pad as buffer which keeps recoil at manageable level by acting as a 'cushion' or 'shock absorber'.Innovative,but if a rifle's reliability depends upon a part that can be worn off,that is something i'd not put in my gun at all.The Swiss made similar sort of mistake with their SG552 - Later models of SG552 had its recoil spring guide rod made of Polymers (for reducing weight and to some levels,recoil as well) and they got numerous complains of malfunctions.They later stopped further production of SG552 and in place of it brought SG553,just a short barreled variant of SG550.

Edit:Another thing,Galil ACE's trigger group is not taken from original Galil but from Galatz sniper (7.62 NATO Sniper/DMR variant of Galil) as it was cheaper to manufacture.

The only thing i like about Galil ACE is its reciprocating charging handle as it also serves as Forward Assist - Something that Mk.1-C clearly lacks.

So my point is if we're going to choose another Kalashnikov variant (Galil ACE) then we already have got our very own variant (Excalibur Mk.1-C) that is developed in our homeland,why don't give it a chance ? Just shorten up the barrel to around 13.5 - 14 inches from 16 inches,add up a full length top rail and viola! we'll get our very own Galil ACE.

In case of they're not gonna choose a Kalashnikov based weapon,then my weapon of choice is X-95 Tavor.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
    Dagger likes this.