Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Indian Army raising new special forces battalion

Discussion in 'Indian Army' started by Hembo, Jun 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hembo

Hembo OLD MOD STAR MEMBER

Indian Army raising new special forces battalion
    Sunday, June 26, 2011, 15:20

New Delhi: Strengthening its capabilities to carry out special operations, the Indian Army is raising a new special forces battalion which will be deployed in the north-eastern sector.

A new battalion of the Parachute Regiment -- 11 Para (SF) -- is being raised and will be first deployed in the north-eastern sector, Army sources said here.

This will be eighth special forces battalion of the Parachute Regiment and will be deployed in counter-insurgency and counter-terrorism operations in that region, they said.

The Parachute Regiment has 10 battalions under it and seven of them have been trained as special forces, which are supposed to carry out counter-terrorist operations during peacetime and sabotage enemy installations beyond enemy lines during wars.

The special forces battalions include the 1, 2, 3, 4, 9, 10 and 21 para units, which are deployed in different sectors of the country and have also been given responsibility to handle any 26/11 type attacks if that occurs near their area of deployment.

The Army wants to increase the number of special forces troops to more than 10 battalions with around 700 men in each.

These battalions have been provided with modern equipment such as Tavor 21 assault rifles.

PTI

2. Sanjeeb Bose

Sanjeeb Bose Lieutenant SENIOR MEMBER

Great News indeed! we need more of such forces on counter insurgency operations.

3. Mr.Ryu

Mr.Ryu Captain SENIOR MEMBER

Parachute troop for anti-insurgency ????

that too 10 bat... with 700 in each = 7000 para troop for insurgency and counter-terrorism ?????

4. smestarz

smestarz Lt. Colonel REGISTERED

Indian Army is crazy if they have to have a para battalion to fight terrorism.

Who the hell drops paratroopers in the jungle?
    There are better and safer ways of inserting troops..

Parabattalion for counter terrorism is UTTER STUPIDITY

5. smestarz

I have a stranger concept in mind, But it has use of C-130J
    I want the troops to in some sort of container, and the plane almost flies to ground level at low speed and the container is deployed,
    The container shall have 20-30 heavily armed men with ammo and some mid heavy weapons like RPGs etc, to use against enemy assets
    The container also doubles up as command post for the units and also sort of resting place in case.
    The container should have two doors so that the infantry inside can be deployed outside of the container within few seconds.
    The weight of these empty containers (i am thinking of the container which shipping lines use, are about 1-2 tons, and with some small fittings for infantry to hold during turbulence of being "dropped" on the ground, When the container stops (few seconds) the infantry takes off its "seat belt" and they come out from the container. Infantry with medium and light weapons first, and then followed by heavy weapons such as pack howitzer just in case they want immediate artillery support.
    Permutations/combinations are numerous.

6. GUNS-N- ROSES

GUNS-N- ROSES Major SENIOR MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    i am all for increasing the strength of para troopers but the quality should not go down also i m dead against their use in insurgency ops.

7. RobbieS

RobbieS 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

I am no army guy, but I serious issue with the section in bold above. A C-130 flying even at ground level would would be at around 250Km/hr speed minimum. Dont know if anything can take an impact at that speed -man or machine!

8. GUNS-N- ROSES

Country Flag:
    India
    its a absurd idea.

9. smestarz

I had seen movie of Vin Diesel XXX, and there he is "inserted" into Columbia, but instead of being dropped uncerimoniously, I am suggesting being deployed in containersed way.

The aircrafts forward speed pulling the container in forward direction and the small drag parachute reducing the speed drastically to stand still,
    2 doors for faster deployment and JUST IN CASE ONE DOOR GETS STUCK

10. smestarz

As i said, the container will be moving in forward direction in speed of the plane 250 kmph and the drag parachute put at the end of the plane will reduce this speed drastically.
    If drag parachute can reduce the speed of Mig-21, surely this container travelling at 250 Kmph... can be tackled.. why do people just ignore an idea thinking its ABSURD..

11. Vritra

Vritra Major ELITE MEMBER

Equipment constrains.

Mobile command posts on land can deploy heavy radar systems, a lot of sophisticated communication systems, etc. Current tech doesn't allow for a 1-2 tonne box-shaped command post small enough to fit inside a C-130 to hold all those systems. Maybe this concept can be applied to be carried inside C-17s, allowing it to be much heavier. If 15 tonne APCs can be airdropped, no reason something like this isn't viable.

Back on topic, the SF being a parachute regiment isn't stupid at all. Has no one read about the kind of training the SAS goes through?

12. GUNS-N- ROSES

Country Flag:
    India
    can u tell me more abt the theatre of operation where it is likely to be used.

13. RobbieS

RobbieS 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

I know. I just wanted to convey the same thought politely! :)

14. RoYaN

RoYaN Lt. Colonel ELITE MEMBER

Key word being Movie,why drop box full of soldiers why not drop an APC instead besides dropping APC in war zones has already been done!!

15. smestarz

As i said,
    When the container is deployed, it will be moving forward direction due to the kinetic motion it will have (around 250 kmph) and the drag parachute at the end of the Container should be deployed immediately after the container is deployed.
    This will reduce this speed drastically.
    If drag parachute can reduce the speed of Mig-21, surely this container travelling at 250 Kmph... can be tackled.. why do people just ignore an idea thinking its ABSURD..

This way is much better than dropping parachutist and then being like floating targets in air who cannot shoot back,
    But using containerised insertions the advantages will be
    a) The company will not be spread out as it does during paradrop.
    b) No more soldier hanging on tree,
    c) All weapons, ammo and heavy weapons all at hand
    d) Ready command post to provide operational communications

Immediate possible protection against light weapons.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.