Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Indian army will never carry out coup :ex-Army chief Gen V K Singh

Discussion in 'Indian Army' started by tunguska, Feb 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tunguska

tunguska Major SENIOR MEMBER

Former army chief retd. Gen V K Singh has said that the Indian army "will never carry out a coup, it will only defend the nation".

Replying to questions from Rajat Sharma in India TV's show Aap Ki Adalat, the former general blamed some bureaucrats and some army officers for planting, what he called, wrong information in the media about the movement of two units of the Army near Delhi.

"Today, I can reveal that some bureaucrats and some army officers had planted this baseless news. These two units were part of routine mobilization, and if you remember, there were some developments in Maldives 6-7 days later, these units were meant to go there", said the former COAS.

Asked what could be the motive behind planting such news, the retired general said, "it's very clear. A man (Gen Singh) stands up against the government, and you want to defame him. You want to coerce him. That could be the only motive".

The former COAS also alleged that a former Principal Secretary to the Prime Minister was given a plot by the owners in the Tatra truck scam, and the son of a senior Planning Commission appointee stayed in their guest house for one and a half years.

"There were several officials in the Ministry whose pockets were being lined. Naturally they had a vested interest in defaming me", said the retired general.:hitwall::hitwall:

Singh ruled out his entry into active politics, saying: "I have a small mission "Reclaim India". I want to raise awareness among the people. Moreover, the present political system is such that good people may not enter politics. That does not mean, all those who are in politics are bad. This country has given me the best for the last 42 years, and I want to give something back to my country".

The former general said, there should be three requisites for a good politician -- good image with no criminal case pending, capability and the motivation to serve the nation and society.

Asked why he attended a rally with Indian National Lok Dal chief Om Prakash Chautala, who is himself in jail on charge of corruption, the retired general clarified it was to celebrate the birth anniversary of his father Chaudhary Devi Lal.

"Devi Lal ji is the man who introduced Old Age Pension in Haryana years before other states started this scheme. He also waived off tax on poor people's bicycles. If Chautala was there because of his father, I can't push him out", said Singh.

The former Army Chief said: "Had I wanted to become a governor or an ambassador, I could have stayed silent on the Tatra truck scam. Rs 26 lakh worth trucks were being sold to the army for Rs 1 crore. Most of the judges, when they approach 64 years, angle for chairmanship of commissions. Most of the bureacrats, approaching retirement, agree to do whatever they are asked to.

"I am not that sort of man. There are two types of people - one who sits on bended knees and takes alms, and the other who stands straight with head held high, ready to fight injustice. I belong to the other group", said Singh. :cheers:

On the Technical Supports Division controversy, the former general said, like the RAW, this unit was set up in the wake of Mumbai terror attacks to keep watch on developments across the border.

"Like RAW, which never does research, the TSD is neither technical, nor does it provide support, nor does it have snooping equipments. It was set up on the operational directive of the Raksha Mantri to enhance army's capability. The process of setting up the TSD began before my tenure", Singh said.

Asked by Rajat Sharma whether the report that nearly Rs 18 crore was spent on TSD to find out about the citizenship of the daughter of present Army Chief Gen Bikram Singh, the retired general laughed saying: "These are all imaginary. It's better not to believe such reports. And if I want to know the nationality of somebody, I would rather check the passport, why use TSD?"

On the issue of an Army major entering his residence, the former Army chief said, "First of all, he came suddenly to my residence in the absence of myself and my family members. He asked my exchange staff to go way. He went to different rooms, and even opened up my computer in the study. It was then that my daughter came in suddenly. Then, what will you do?"

Asked whether the TSD was used for snooping on ministers and bureaucrats, the retired general said: "I don't need to snoop on ministers and bureaucrats. I don't give bribes, nor receive bribes."

The former army chief lashed out at former Pakistan dictator Pervez Musharraf saying that he has been spreading lies about Kargil conflict since the beginning.

"He (Musharraf) has this habit of lying. First, he said, his army was not involved in Kargil. Now it has been revealed, he had come 11 km deep inside Line of Control and spent the night. It means he had been telling lies all along."

On Musharraf's claim that Kashmir could have been Pakistan's, had not Nawaz Sharif (the then PM) gone to the US president, the retired general said: "I can only say this much that while living presently in a nice house in England, he should stop daydreaming." :mrgreen::laugh:

The former Army chief said, India should adopt a no-nonsence policy towards Pakistan.

"Pakistan never sincerely accepted our hand of friendship. We have to evolve a policy of how to deal with our neighbour. We should make Pakistan understand that if it does something wrong, we will hit back, and if it behaves well, then we can be friends. Like a big brother, we need to give a tight slap, if it misbehaves", said Singh. :yes4:

Indian army will never carry out coup, ex-Army chief Gen V K Singh tells Aap Ki Adalat

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
    5 people like this.
  2. Marqueur

Marqueur Peaceful Silence ELITE MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
  3. That Tall Guy

That Tall Guy 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Perfect Indian Military Officer..!!

4. Anish

Anish Lt. Colonel ELITE MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Although it would be a delight to see a military coup and the gandhi family being shot like dogs in the streets of delhi along with every congress legislator

5. rocky.idf

rocky.idf BANNED BANNED

Country Flag:
    Bangladesh
    India may take some time to get a General like V K Singh.Peoples in India and SA would have had peace, amity and progress if he had taken over.

1 person likes this.
  6. tunguska

Wah! What a pleasant comments from Bengali who hate India from its bottom of heart. Yes I anticipate, peace will prevail.

7. neil_diablos

neil_diablos Lieutenant SENIOR MEMBER

Dude I suggest you dont generalize bengalis. I am from West Bengal (which is in India in case you didn't know) and I am a proud bengali! The way there are punjabis in India as well as Pakistan, similarly there are Bengalis in India as well as Bangladesh!

2 people like this.
  8. tunguska

Dude, I am not generalizing it. And I am very much aware of Indian states being an Indian and west Bengal is one of Indian part. My comment was to that Bangladeshi which you failed to notice.

9. DaRk KnIght

DaRk KnIght Lt. Colonel ELITE MEMBER

There will be no BD if Army takes over.

10. rocky.idf

rocky.idf BANNED BANNED

Country Flag:
    Bangladesh
    How did you come to that conclusion I cannot say. But your post definitely is a display of hatred you persnally have for Bengalees.

11. rocky.idf

rocky.idf BANNED BANNED

Country Flag:
    Bangladesh
    In a way you are right. If militaries ruled over Pakistan, India and BD then we would have given up slaugter, acrimony and come nererer. Netaji's rule would have been something like that. But the politicians everywhere incite, nurture and use division and hatred on various lines to staye in power - and make sacs full of money.

12. tunguska

Yes, I hate like you only and not try to twist my word mentioning all Bengalis. I have grown by hearing stories of netaji subhash Chandra Bose. And I respect so many bengalis.

You are doing constant propaganda again INDIA and throwing lot of toxin against my country and at this place , you just trying to act smart. And do not try to divide us Indian.

13. DaRk KnIght

DaRk KnIght Lt. Colonel ELITE MEMBER

It is simple to blame it on leaders. We in SA just blame everything on our govt and forgets the point that we have actually elected them.

Atleast one can change a political leader but not the Military.

14. rocky.idf

rocky.idf BANNED BANNED

Country Flag:
    Bangladesh

Can you qualify your charges? You can't, because these are false. It is people with hearts gone black with hatred who have been causing all the unhappiness in SA. Learn to love, not hate.

15. Manmohan Yadav

Manmohan Yadav Brigadier STAR MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    In India is not an Islamic Republic nation
    thats why there wont be any coup

India is a Hindu majority nation, And in the Entire history of India
    Never has the Hindu Soldier rebelled against his own Ruler (in this case it is the nation)
    but i guess likes of you wont understand that,
    so no point in responding to you any further.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.