Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Indian Army’s modernization drive gathers steam

Discussion in 'Indian Army' started by flanker143, Dec 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flanker143

flanker143 Captain SENIOR MEMBER

[​IMG]

The Army’s futuristic programme to transform its infantry soldiers into high-tech, self-contained killing machines is gathering some steam, after a long delay, under the F-INSAS (future infantry soldier as a system) project.
    Having issued global tenders for new assault rifles, “close-quarter battle†(CQB) carbines and light-weight ballistic helmets with internal communication gear, the defence ministry is preparing similar RFPs (request for proposals) for light-machine guns, modular bullet-proof jackets, holographic reflex weapon sights, soldier-wearable computers, communication and surveillance equipment.

The first phase of F-INSAS itself will cost upwards of Rs 25,000 crore, with the 1.13- million strong Indian Army having 359 infantry battalions, each with 800-1,000 soldiers.

The programme, which will be implemented in phases, is spread over the 12th, 13th and 14th five-year plans (2012-27), say sources.

Somewhat similar to US Army’s “land warrior†and “objective force warrior†programmes, F-INSAS is aimed at converting foot-soldiers into fully-networked, all-terrain weapon platforms by enhancing their “lethality, survivability, mobility, sustainability and situational awarenessâ€.

F-INSAS is divided into five sub-systems – modular weapons; body armour and individual equipment; weapon sights and hand-held target acquisition devices; communication equipment to make soldiers capable of transmitting and receiving complex voice, data and video systems; and portable computers in the shape of “wrist displays†for soldiers and “planning boards†for commanders.

Take the weapon systems, which include CQB carbines, assault rifles and light machine guns equipped with third-generation night-vision devices, laser designators, detachable under-barrel grenade launchers and the like.

The Army is examining the bids submitted by armament majors to acquire around 44,000 CQB carbines off-the-shelf for over Rs 4,500 crore. This will be followed by the indigenousmanufacture of a large number of similar modular carbines by the Ordnance Factory Board(OFB) under transfer of technology.

Then, the global tender for direct acquisition of around 66,000 advanced assault rifles was floated in November, which will be followed by licensed manufacture to equip the armed forces as well as the 8-lakh Central paramilitary forces.

This mega project for new assault rifles, with interchangeable 5.56mm and 7.62mm barrels and holographic reflex sights to replace the 5.56mm INSAS rifles being used, could alone run over Rs 20,000 crore.

“Soldiers will use the 7.62 x 39mm barrels for counter-insurgency operations since they are more effective for that role. But if deployed for conventional warfare, then they will use the 5.56 x 45mm barrels,†said a source.

The Army is shopping for tripod-mounted 12.7mm heavy machine guns (HMGs), which can fire high-explosive, incendiary and armour-piercing rounds at a rapid clip, to further boost the high-volume firepower of its infantry battalions.

2. blackflame

blackflame FULL MEMBER

man this pic is a insult to modern techonology that is being worked on F-INSAS

3. Vritra

Vritra Major ELITE MEMBER

Its just a demo, a platform to mount certain technologies. They're only demonstrating a new HMS + targeting concept, not the entire F-INSAS project.

4. rai_kamal

rai_kamal FULL MEMBER

Yes he is right, if this modern than what is ancient ???
    Also the helmet,doesn't looks sexy..

5. halloweene

halloweene Major MILITARY STRATEGIST

Hmmm isnt topic redudndant with F-Insas one?

6. d14gtc

d14gtc Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Yeah you are right its just a concept but the shown picture is really seems an insult to F INSAS project as pretends like some Nehru Place Gagdets are fitted on a Rifle ..... Atleast should have shown some Professional concept rather than to project it like some Institutional level Science exibhition Concept :nono: .... we already know how bad we are in customising futuristic concepts,i wish it wont happen to any such though.

7. Manmohan Yadav

Manmohan Yadav Brigadier STAR MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Man,
    i am pretty sure 12th Standard Science or may be even commerce students can put up
    a better INSAS concept presentation that this.

8. halloweene

Hmmm indians are worldwide reckoned engineers and software killers, szo i dont see why you wouldnt design a kickass system...except onindustrialization probs.

9. d14gtc

Yeah same we ask from ourselves too :wacko: ....

perhaps R & D in Design and Architecture needs a big overhaul,more over educational reforms needed to incorporate such concepts than to follow " the same old beaten path. "

Last edited: Dec 24, 2011
  10. halloweene

I can only tell you what told me once an aeronautic engineer : personal turnover of engineers is way too high in India, so many knowledges are lost, but it was his view...

11. flanker143

flanker143 Captain SENIOR MEMBER

guys don't fall for that image....its a very very old pic.....the gud news is i have something real good on finsas coming next month....

will post it as soon as i get my hands on it...

2 people like this.
  12. halloweene

I think i've already seen more modern images about INSAS on this very site. And i'm sure (dont ask me why) that India, US, GB etc ppl are greedy for FELIN system retex as it is the very first one in operations...I can already tell you that atm french COS (FS) do not want it (or at lesat full version) due to wieght and battery potential issues for spec ops.

BTW FELIN mean बिल्ली के समान (google translation)

2 people like this.
  13. Vritra

Vritra Major ELITE MEMBER

:rofl:

That reads "pertains to cats" in Hindi... Which isn't all that inaccurate, really...

14. d14gtc

PLz plz plz made ma day ASAP :victory:

15. RoYaN

RoYaN Lt. Colonel ELITE MEMBER

Man in the pic is a Jawan and tech is for people like him so take your crappy ideas elsewhere!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.