Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Indian Army's new Bullet Proof Jacket by DRDO

Discussion in 'Indian Army' started by Darth Marr, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Blackjay

Blackjay Developers Guild Developers -IT and R&D

Country Flag:
    India
    download.jpg
    @Hellfire
    Upload the image at Imgur and post the link here for now.Issue is probably at your end.Make sure your image extension is JPG,JPEG or PNG only.

Edit-
    Xenforo performs a check to match image type,size and extension with image content.Probably the app you used to edit and redact the image,messed something up.Easiest sureshot way is to take a screenshot,crop the boundary and then upload it.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    Hellfire likes this.
  2. Paliwal Warrior

Paliwal Warrior Lt. Colonel ELITE MEMBER

What will be the cost if we decided to issue bpj to Whole army with standard reserve stocks at one go ?

3. Hellfire

Hellfire Devil's Advocate Staff Member MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India

Depends. Ideally 100% authorization should be made mandatory. I have never understood the concept of 60% and 70% for Infantry. Are the soldiers not likely to face threat at the Logistics Base?

The issue is, maintenance. Our soldiers are pathetic at maintaining the equipment provided, true to the Indian spirit of screwing up whatever is provided, a true reflection of our society. So the expenditure will be huge without the necessary checks and balances.

One way to circumvent the problem is to decide an equipment's life cycle based on reasonable care and deployment zones. A soldier can be 'issued' a Bullet Proof at the time of his/her attestation into the armed forces and the same should be permanently be his/her responsibility. At the same time, a monthly 'deduction' cam be done of the costs in order to incentivize the maintenance of equipment. The same can be invested in various schemes like AGIF etc, which can give the soldier a decent return at the end of the career in case the soldier has maintained the equipment, otherwise, the costs can be recovered for the errant members.

Of course, all this with the contingency 'wear & tear' wherein a certification can be done about the reason for earlier 'loss of equipment'.

I am sure, this will be a very sensible and cheaper option in the long run rather than pay costs in terms of monetary support to next of kin and cost of training due to fatalities.

Coming to your specific query, depends on what is the figure on the day a decision is taken. Because that figure is only with the ASEC in army :)

4. Paliwal Warrior

Come o.n

Say a decision is taken today

Give a ball park figure

5. GuardianRED

GuardianRED Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    And it continues .... No substance and ALL RANTING!!!

6. Hellfire

Country Flag:
    India

Lets say, ,around 1200-1800 crores. At present figures of 60% and 70% authorisation.

7. Hellfire

Country Flag:
    India
  8. NOODLER

NOODLER FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Is the ballistic protection designed by Dr Bhowmik ??

9. Paliwal Warrior

It can be sanctioned single shot
    Not big amount by any standards

Angel Eyes likes this.
  10. Hellfire

Country Flag:
    India
    Image 2.jpg

This was what I was using ( your's truly in a harness here as I could not find the same for the plate carrier I had, which was similar to it in design except for additional place for plates). You could use inserts (non-standardised sizes) . The ridge in background is the friendly neighbour's location.

Image 3.jpg

A view of the gradient!

The guy in foreground has made a locally stitched harness for plate carrier while that in background has the standard issue by DRDO.

Image 1.jpg

Terrain .... this is 16000 ft ASL in Greater Himalaya.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  11. kakathiya

kakathiya FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    What ranting sir , please inform me when our army selects DRDO designed bulletproof vests, our soldiers r using patka & third class bulletproof vests without any option, ask a soldier on the field whether he likes these, please be reasonable rather than being jingoistic, tell me does the patka has protection on the top, the BP vests they wear r bulky & not ergonomic they r just bulky jackets where steel plates r inserted, r v so poor that we can't buy modern light weight BP vests, DRDO can't come up with an alternative, we should privatize all govt organizations.

12. Hellfire

Country Flag:
    India

Read the posts I have made. Stop peddling bullshit.

13. Hellfire

Country Flag:
    India

Can be ... should be. What beats me is why is it not?

OFB link I have placed. They have SPECTRA HAPs and a great harness, they can suitably modify it. But why is it not done? Beats me.

14. Paliwal Warrior

Simple solution let's make.rule

Any person. Wishing to hold public office or fight elections need to have do
    Done 3 years military service

15. Hellfire

Country Flag:
    India

Won't happen. If that could be the case, the society would become disciplined, and more productive in the process. Instead, what we are seeing, is reverse.

snehil aditya likes this.