Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Indian Army's new Bullet Proof Jacket by DRDO

Discussion in 'Indian Army' started by Darth Marr, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Anish

Anish Lt. Colonel ELITE MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    unrelated but looks like the problem of standardised combat fatigue uniform is still not solved.

More militia type apperance of the force than standard military.

Must be tough to find raw cloth in the frontier areas

2. Hellfire

Hellfire Devil's Advocate Staff Member MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India

My pattern was akin to that being used by BSF there .. standardisation of pattern is not a requisite as in CQB, you are not going to recognise by uniform as we expect the enemy to be using our uniforms too.

I had a MARPAT Woodland too, as also the standard CISF and BSF patterns. Quite useful there. In peace time location, standardisation of the uniform exists, especially on the drill square. In field, it is as per requirement. Weapons, at times, are carried in backpacks with different weapons in hand to prevent recognition of force being employed.

Example: a SF unit may be found carrying Tavors and M4s in backpacks and AKs in hand along with INSAS while inducting into area. Then, for specific operation, the same may change. The designation is invariably of a local unit as also the communication frequencies.

Gessler, SR-91, GuardianRED and 3 others like this.
  3. Anish

Anish Lt. Colonel ELITE MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    As you are in SF and not a regular but i have heard jawans in regular units are told to but raw cloth from local markets and fit them into uniforms giving the soldiers an unprofessional image of a militia.

But i do understand the logic and reasoning that your targets are often wearing the same uniform.

4. Hellfire

Country Flag:
    India
    No, it is not true. The uniforms for men are given by the Government of India and come from Ordnance Factory Board and issued to them. They do not get them stitched from outside.

As for officers, they have to get them stitched.

And since disruptive patterns were changed over past few years as per inputs given, there are multiple uniforms available which one can wear in field and 'use' them appropriately.

For example, in the picture we posted, the men have standardised Army pattern uniform, but I am in something akin to BSF pattern. This is for the purpose of misinformation of the number of troops moving in or out of a post. We were continuously under enemy observation, but as per them they would have observed a probable BSF officer coming in .... that is it.

Gessler, SR-91, GuardianRED and 3 others like this.
  5. Hellfire

Country Flag:
    India
    @Gessler @Abingdonboy

I posted the pic to give a sense of what we are facing there. This is LC region and a high altitude area with elevation above 15000 ft. This was taken in the month of Oct - Nov, with temperatures max at 8 to 10'C in day time and -7 to 8 at night . Yet am in a tee. That is because of the points I mentioned earlier - extreme sweating and subsequent dehydration and early tiring.

If we were to have a modular equipment with deltoid protectors and side plates additionally, it would be hell. It shall limit the movement (the gradient is about 60 degree and the rope was being used to climb. A circuitous route exists, but that is under direct observation and enemy fire. Not a very good option if someone decides to notch a few kills, especially a sniper. The funny thing is, we started climb at 11000 ft and stopped for first time at 16000 ft. Then ultimate stop was at 18890 ft. Took us 6 hours and lot of effort in expedited time frame with last climb of over 1000 ft on icy wall :)

Gessler, SR-91, randomradio and 4 others like this.
  6. Hellfire

Country Flag:
    India
    @R!CK
    Silently observing... ;)

GuardianRED, Grevion and R!CK like this.
  7. vstol jockey

vstol jockey Colonel MILITARY STRATEGIST

Country Flag:
    India
    I can understand how tiring and exhaustive it must have been considering I used to climb to 42K feet from sea level within 2.5 minutes from break release. LOL.

8. Hellfire

Country Flag:
    India
    Sneaky and underhanded one sir!!! Don't rub it in ;) :D :D :D

Gessler, SR-91, TrueGR!T and 2 others like this.
  9. Abingdonboy

Abingdonboy Major Technical Analyst

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    On the ground at least they are finally getting some decent gear:

Off topic but @Hellfire sir, what are your thoughts on a senior officer (1 star general no less) turning up to an operation site with zero PPE like that? I can see both arguments; that this is "brave" and "inspiring" but isn't it also incredibly naive and foolhardy as well as being unproffesional? The terrorists would love to get a scalp like that.

+ Love how on edge his personal security detail are

10. Hellfire

Country Flag:
    India
    Nothing to read into it. The Commander will only come in once the 'blocks' have been established and there is a protective cordon around him. You have to understand that the Commander and CO are the most protected people in the area, and only the RMO (the regimental medical officer) can either match or exceed the protection being provided to them (voluntarily by men in majority of cases for they believe that the Doctor is irreplaceable while a commander can still be replaced ;))

Coming back to the point, this is a very sanitised area, hence he is moving in only after it has been ensured that the terrorists have been isolated in a locality/geographical area. The civil clothed guy is SF officer who is seen briefing the commander at the end of the clip.

The commander's PPE is always present, and by not wearing it, he either is assured that the area has been sanitised or knows it is. Shows the level of trust in the capability of his troops :)

11. Grevion

Grevion Professional Think Troll ELITE MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    @Hellfire sir, are you still a serving officer in the armed forces??
    Are or were you in the special forces?

Angel Eyes likes this.
  12. Hellfire

Country Flag:
    India

Would be in trouble as a serving officer.

I am unable to confirm or deny any further information.

Suffice to say, I do not comment on things I have not done/participated in/worked with/been trained in.

13. Grevion

Grevion Professional Think Troll ELITE MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    That's what I thought. So a retired officer then.:D

14. Hellfire

Country Flag:
    India
    Am unable to confirm or deny any such information.

15. SR-91

SR-91 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India

Either way....... On behalf of Everyone here on IDF, we salute you n thank you for your service :india:.

Happy Independence Day:india: