Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Indian Military Aircraft Mishaps and Crashes.

Discussion in 'Indian Air Force' started by MilSpec, Nov 28, 2016.

1. MilSpec

MilSpec Mod Staff Member MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India
  2. Ankit Kumar 001

Ankit Kumar 001 Captain Technical Analyst

Country Flag:
    India
    30/11/12

HAL CHEETAH(SA 315B Lama) crash.

3 Indian Army officers killed . One JCO critically injured.

Crash happened near Sukna, Siliguri. Suspected cause of crash :- Mechanical Failure.

These helicopters have been in service for last 45 Years.

—First Post

R!CK and BlackOpsIndia like this.
  3. Ankit Kumar 001

Country Flag:
    India
    I wonder if our Defence minister can take up the responsibility and resign?
    Can our Prime Minister remember what he said during the campaigns and take action ?

4. Ankit Kumar 001

Country Flag:
    India
    @Abingdonboy shouldn't our Defence Minister , Mr Incompetent Motor Mouth take up the responsibility, and offer his resignation?

Last 2 years have seen 6 billion going unused. This is good enough amount to order and replace Mohanjodaro Era helicopters.

MilSpec likes this.
  5. MilSpec

Country Flag:
    India
    RIP, condolences to the friends and family of the personnel affected.

6. Gessler

Gessler Mod Staff Member MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    Well, first of all RIP to the personnel killed in the crash.

As of asking DM MP to resign...I'm not really sure. He's not single-handedly capable of changing the structure, equipment, and procurement of the defense forces. Procurement of new platforms to replace the old ones depends
    on various sectors of governance including the Finance ministry, and the services themselves.

Do the defense procurement procedures require an overhaul? Yes, definitely. Are the public servants and the top brass of IAF doing a good job of procurement? Nope.

But it cannot be forgotten that MP is a lot better than any other DM in recent times (AK Antony, George Fernandes etc.) - he's not perfect, but if you want him gone, might as well suggest who's fit enough to take his place? Who do you think will do a better job? If you remove something, you need to have some thing that can effectively replace it - otherwise you're left with a vacuum, and a vacuum sucks in all kinds of trash.

Changing the DM every now and then will have seriously detrimental effects on procurement.

R!CK and Ankit Kumar 001 like this.
  7. Ankit Kumar 001

Country Flag:
    India
    I take your points.

Now tell me , couldn't the 6 billion USD which went unused ,if used even with 50% sincerity would have meant Indian Army, Airforce , Navy and Coast Guards not stuck with 50 year old machines.

Who is answerable to the families of deceased?

The most proud moment for a family related to armed forces is if the person gives the ultimate sacrifice in battlefield for Nation , and the most saddest part is if that ultimate sacrifice cones due to an incompetent motor mouth DM.

As for this one being better , except the OROP , count me " 1" thing which he has done is now benefiting our armed forces ?

He is blotch on the current good governance of this government.

Only talks , only interview , nothing , I repeat nothing till now on ground.

8. Gessler

Gessler Mod Staff Member MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    I'm not privy to any defense ministry policies that you don't know about...but the only thing I can say with certainty is that it's not as easy as it sounds.

I'm yet to get a clear picture of just how transparent the flow of money is to the DM - we read the figures of X amount left unspent only after the FY has passed. Plus, it is my belief that amount/credit is tagged for a certain procurement contract that is believed to be close to finalization (i.e. if we want to sign this deal, we better have X amount ready to transfer), and we can't spend a slice of the amount earmarked for one procurement to fund the purchase of something else simultaneously. Sometimes, the deal does not happen within that FY (for whatever reason including the papers being held up on the DAC table, the CCS table, or some problem from the vendor), and the amount earmarked for it is declared as 'unspent' at the end-of-FY report. Can these problems be rectified through smart spending policies? I think so - but I'm not an economics expert and I've no clue how easy or difficult it is to put it into practice.

Here's something I'm not sure of myself - what happens to this unspent amount at the end of FY? I believe it is routed back into the economy, and forms part of the next budget, where it can be reassigned to any other sector (roads, railways, electricity, education, whatever) as required. I'm not sure if it is sent back into the defense expenditure. For example, consider if I gave you Rs. 45 last FY and 5 remained unspent and you gave it back to me. This FY, my budget improved and I can now give you Rs. 50 on paper - does this mean I'm actually giving you only 45 again and the +5 is made up of what you gave back last time? It's possible, but it's more complex than it looks.

Bottom line is - while it's true that large amounts of money remains unspent at the end of FY, we have to understand that this doesn't necessarily mean the DM doesn't know how or what to spend on, or that money is being wasted (not used) - what you didn't use this year (due to any number of reasons as I've mentioned above), you WILL use next year.

As I said, it's not as simple as as it sounds....and neither you nor me are qualified enough to seal this matter and name a culprit, without being wrong in more ways than one.

Depends on what exactly caused the problem. "Mechanical failure" is too vague a term. What brought it on? Surely it can't be a design fault - Cheetahs have been in use for decades in dozens of countries and if there was a design fault it would have been rectified long ago. Was it a problem in the way HAL built this particular machine? (In which case the mistake can occur in any machine - new or old) Was it because of weather conditions? Was it because the ground crew that's supposed to do maintenance on the chopper made a mistake which led to components failing in flight? (As per me, this is likely to be the most probable reason).

Exact reason will be known only after detailed investigation.

Either way - while it's clear that this is an aged platform, there's no such thing as Cheetahs falling out of the sky due to old age. This is not a biological organism. Mechanical failure in this case occurs if a component is damaged/deteriorated, what's the solution? Maintenance, repair and/or replacement of the component. HAL already has a local production line and supply of spares for this model is almost 100% localized (not like MiG-21s where not having access to spares caused a majority of the crashes) - from a Defense Ministry perspective, there's not much else you can do.

And let me emphasize...there's no such thing as planes dying due to old age. Wear & tear occurs on the individual components, but the airframe itself has a much longer life. In fact, even most of the MiG-21FLs and MiG-23s that IAF has retired still have enough airframe life left in them to serve comfortably for another 15 years or more - PROVIDED the individual items (rotaries, consumables, engine components, and other Line-Replaceable Units (LRUs) are properly made, maintained and repaired.

WWI aircraft can still fly without a hitch if you make sure any deterioration in the components is taken care of.

So why are old aircraft retired at all? One reason is that the TACTICAL REQUIREMENTS have changed considerably and can no longer be fulfilled by the old design...or because maintenance of the old aircraft has become a problem owing to either unavailability of proper spares from certified suppliers (part of the reason why MiG-21 suffered so badly) or because maintenance itself has become economically non-viable.

The MoD has done nearly everything in it's power to make sure HAL/services have everything they need to operate the Cheetah without any problem. But please do understand that MoD's procurement process is NOT the only thing governing flight safety - there are an infinite number of variables involved and as I said, it's over the top to ask DM to resign for this crash. If he personally THINKS he's responsible, he can resign all he wants - but he doesn't NEED to.

Well-proven platforms that are nowhere as old as our Cheetahs crash all over the world. The US Marine Corps Harrier AV-8A had a near 50% crash rate across the fleet even when it was relatively new. How many Secretaries of Defense resigned over it?

Again, it might be easy to call him responsible - but actually going into the exact reasons for a crash might reveal something different.

Well, the Rafale deal has been finalized (something that was on the table for 2 DMs before him) with India-specific modifications. Procurement of a next-generation BVRAAM has been finalized...and ofcourse, the first real artillery procurement for the IA in decades is happening now...the first steps (confirmed orders) for new infantry equipment like vests, helmets etc. have been cleared by him...and I just pulled all these from the back of my mind. If we go into details, there's a lot more happening behind the scenes.

Compare this with Antony's tenure (or with Fernandes's) and tell me MP isn't better.

You KNOW that's not true.

Ankit Kumar 001 and R!CK like this.
  9. MilSpec

Country Flag:
    India
    It's unfortunate but return of Capex happens.

It has less to do with the intent of the armed forces or the bureaucracy but the inherent nature of Ministry of defense.
    will crosspost
    http://indiandefence.com/threads/ma...international-border.56796/page-9#post-503802

R!CK likes this.
  10. Blue Marlin

Blue Marlin 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    casualties

IAF Sukhoi-30 aircraft crashes in Barmer, pilots safe
    • An Indian Air Force Sukhoi-30 MKI fighter aircraft crashed in Rajasthan's Barmer today.
    • The jet crashed during the routine sortie.
    • The incident took place after hours after a Chetak helicopter crash landed in Uttar Pradesh.
    Sukhoi-30MKI crashes in Shivkar Kudla village in Rajasthan's Barmer. (Photo: ANI)
    [​IMG]

NEW DELHI: An Indian Air Force Sukhoi-30 MKI fighter aircraft crashed in Rajasthan's Shivkar Kudla village in Barmer on Wednesday, ANI reported.

Both the pilots managed to eject safely.

The jet crashed during the routine sortie. The incident took place after hours after a Chetak helicopter of the Indian Air Force crash landed in Uttar Pradesh, moments after it took off from an airbase on the outskirts of Allahabad this morning. No casualties have been reported, defence officials said.

Last year, in September, a MiG-21 aircraft had crashed in the same area.

11. lca-fan

lca-fan Captain FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
  12. lca-fan

Country Flag:
    India
    one chetak helicopter also crashed

13. lca-fan

Country Flag:
    India
    Thank God! Both pilots are safe!

14. Sathya

Sathya Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Time to Upgrade ?

:hmm:

15. OverLoad

OverLoad BANNED BANNED

Country Flag:
    Pakistan
    Already Short Of Planes, Indian Air Force Suffered 11 Major Fighter Jet Accidents Last Year
    [​IMG] ABHISHEK SAKSENA
    APRIL 04, 2017

Despite a sanctioned strength of 42 squadrons, the Indian Air Force is grappling with a shortfall of fighter jets and is making do with just 33. If that wasn’t a bad news, there has been an increase in the number of accidents in the last financial year.

[​IMG]

In 2016-17, there were 11 accidents involving fighter jets. What’s worse is that there was an increase in the number over the previous year. In 2015-16 there were 8 accidents without any loss of life. Shockingly, there were 33 deaths this year. The information was provided by Minister of State for Defence Dr Subhash Bhamre in the parliament.

In March a Su-30 Mki air-superiority fighter was lost and the same day a Chetak helicopter crashed and toppled. In February, a C-130 transport plane was damaged in Ladakh. In October last year, a Mi-17 crashed after take off near Badrinath. In the same month, a Jaguar trainer was lost.

[​IMG]

But, the worse disaster was the loss of an An-32 over the Bay of Bengal, with 29 personnel onboard.

Thankfully, 123 LCA Tejas fighters are scheduled to join the fleet to replace the Mig-21 and Mig-27 squadrons. Additionally, 36 Rafale fighters have been contracted and the IAF is also looking for a new single-engine fighter.

http://www.indiatimes.com/news/indi...r-fighter-jet-accidents-last-year-274885.html

Sancho likes this.