Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Indian Navy and The Pirates

Discussion in 'Indian Navy' started by Major Shaitan Singh, Oct 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Virajith

Virajith Captain SENIOR MEMBER

Hijacked ship released, captain from Bangalore is on his way back

A familiar voice greeted HR professional Sharmistha Dutta on the phone around 11.30 a.m. on Friday. The brief conversation brought her news that she had been longing to hear for a year.

“It was unbelievable! The best thing that has happened! I just know that daddy is coming … I have no other information,” said an ecstatic Ms. Dutta, a resident of Sarjapur here.

The call came from her father, Capt. Shankar Dutta, soon after his release along with 21 other crew members of the ship hijacked on March 2, 2012 by Somalian pirates, near Oman, when it was on its way to Nigeria from Dubai.

The 60-year-old West Bengal native, who is now a Bangalorean, is the captain of UAE-owned MV Royal Grace. The hijacked crew comprised 16 other Indians, including five from Kerala.

‘Only a few seconds’

“The conversation lasted only for a few seconds. He said all of them are fine and they will be reaching India in the next two to three days,” said Ms. Dutta, who has been running from pillar to post in Delhi and Mumbai for the last six months, meeting Ministers and officials to get the crew released.

For the 26-year-old, Friday morning had already brought a hint of good news as families of other crew members informed her about the release. “The release came precisely one year and six days after the hijack,” she said, with a sigh of relief.

“Till August last, I had no [definite] information that the ship had been hijacked though families of some crew knew about it within two months,” Ms. Dutta said, recounting her trying times. “I know my father well; he does not inform us when he is in trouble. Some years ago when his ship was in trouble near Greece, he was not in touch with the family for four months.”

The long journey

Her journeys into bureaucratic corridors began when she realised that her father had been kept hostage by the Somali pirates. “Rajeev Chandrasekhar (Rajya Sabha member) helped me a lot in fixing appointments with top officials.”

Through her ordeal, she managed to keep in touch with her father through a couple of calls. Meanwhile, Mr. Chandrasekhar raised the issue for the first time in Parliament following which Shipping Minister G.K. Vasan assured that the government would initiate action.

“Though I was disappointed at times, I never lost hope of his safe return. I remained positive,” Ms. Dutta said.

Thanking all those who stood by her during the crisis, she said: “My company (makemyjob.com) allowed me to take leave and most of the times I was travelling to Mumbai and Delhi.”

On her plans to welcome her father, she said: “I just want to meet him. The crew is expected to land either in Mumbai or Delhi.”

Hijacked ship released, captain from Bangalore is on his way back - The Hindu

2. omya

omya Lt. Colonel ELITE MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  3. Picdelamirand-oil

Picdelamirand-oil Lt. Colonel MILITARY STRATEGIST

Country Flag:
    France
    Opération Bois Belleau

Frequent patrols in the area of ​​operations

As noted by the last White Paper, the northern region of the Indian Ocean and the Persian Gulf is an area where French interests are major. France deploys the quasi-permanence of warships involved including operations against piracy as the mission of the EU Atalanta, fight against terrorism led by the Task Forces 150 and 152, or to purely domestic operations. The battle group is a regular of this maritime area. Indeed, it is the sixth time since 2001 that Charles de Gaulle will operate from the northern Indian Ocean.

[​IMG]

Many regional interactions

The operation called Bois Belleau enable the carrier battle group to conduct naval air high-level cooperation with partner countries , including Saudi Arabia, Qatar and the United Arab Emirates. Interactions between their air and naval forces and Task Force 473 and will take place in the Red Sea in December but also in the Persian Gulf and northern Indian Ocean in January 2014.

Increased interoperability with allied Marines deployed in the area, including the U.S. Navy, is planned. The operation Bois Belleau enable the Franco-American to reach a level previously unattainable cooperation. The U.S. battle group formed around the USS Harry S. Truman, will be present in the Arabian Sea and the Persian Gulf at the same time. There will be a close cooperation for five weeks. France and the United States, leading strategic partners and only nations with aircraft carrier catapults capable of massive power projection operations , have similar modes of action.

Rafale - RP Defense

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.