Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Indian scientist's bullet-proof vest for the army gets government nod

Discussion in 'Indian Army' started by randomradio, Jun 6, 2017.

1. SrNair

SrNair Captain FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Agreed.
    But why the Indian Navy was so successful in routing their equipments from our own indigenous market ?
    In AF case we can at least have an excuse that we dont have a mature Aerospace industry .
    But it is quite ridiculous when we have to depend either shitty INSAS or some foreign import rifles .We could accomplish space missions and Atomic projects without much difficulty .
    Then we face constant hurdles in weapons procurements .

AFAIK ,IN is always involved from first stage of design through their Naval Design Bureau.
    What is the prospects of Army in that area ?

snehil aditya, Wolfpack and Hellfire like this.
  2. Hellfire

Hellfire Devil's Advocate Staff Member MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India

That is what I am trying to tell you. IA has been supportive But there is no mandate wherein army has been given leave to design it's own weapons.

For QA, an Armoured Corps officer went to OFD Jabalpur. There, the technician was filling a 125 mm Tank shell with a bloody mug!! A thing which has to be measured to a precise milligram, was being loaded with mug?

Where does the responsibility start?

I shall give you an example. Strategic Forces units come under Integrated Headquarters of MoD. As such, wherever they are located, they have infrastructure "works" to be done.

The funniest part is, they are not under the local MES (Military Engineering Services). So they can not get any work done locally. It is centrally planned.

Result: SFC units are there which have a mere barbed wire fence without a boundary wall! No outlay from MES. And work will be done by local MES! Imagine the joke!

The problem is the bureaucracy.

Now, if you ever go to Delhi, you will see a beautiful building with hi tech security towards Gurgaon Road as you head from Terminal 1 D onto Rao Tula Ram Marg, on your left. It has awesome security features. You know whose building? CGDA :D

And SFC units, critical strategic assets, without sheds for vehicles and missiles!!! :D

For IN:

Their Dockyards house everything, everything is in-situ. For IA, everything is away. So disconnect will always be there.

Secondly, we are only fabricating ships from steel (imported), weapons (imported/license manufactured). In short, a made in India stamp is being put on Indian designed ship (I agree the structural design is ours).

Everything else is imported/license built. So where is the indigenisation? It is being brought up now. We are integrating it.

Few systems both IA and IN have integrated which are purely Indian.

But today, there is no country in the world foolish enough to make an industrial base for everything. You can spend fraction of money on license fee as compared to R&D. LCA being an example.

3. bharathp

bharathp Developers Guild Developers -IT and R&D

Country Flag:
    India
    @Hellfire I know what I am gong to say will sound anecdotal - but hear me out.

A Major in the IA currently serving - met me in the USA (he was on a holiday - his wife's relatives are here). We are form the same place in India so we were quickly friends. Long story short - I believe what he had to say. he works with the group that is responsible to keep the mechanized stuff going. I asked him one specific question:

why is Army not going for a tank with automation and lesser number of people per tank?
    his answer: cos the folks (cmders etc) want more number of people under them. cos they know these tanks are not going to be used anyways.

this is the truth that I know.

snehil aditya likes this.
  4. SrNair

Country Flag:
    India
    Pathetic state of affairs
    IN has some satisfactory equipments in their surface ships such as Sonar developed by NOPL Kochi etc .

zebra7 and Hellfire like this.
  5. Hellfire

Country Flag:
    India
    What retard logic? We have auto loaders in tanks! Is he even aware? :)

Sorry to say, majority of officers are lost souls, stuck to a limited syllabus with hardly any reading.

You will generally find an Indian Army officer in present, not well read up.

My own experience: General in a social function will recount his days as a company commander.

The less said, the better.

SrNair likes this.
  6. Hellfire

Country Flag:
    India

My rant was on a perception being created against Army and armed forces in general.

What has happened with present government is that DRDO and Defence PSUs have been told to become useful or they will be made scarce. Hence, suddenly in 6 months a 7.62 x 51 mm was made.

Fire has been lit under the soft behinds by GoI now. Also, they are being made accountable. Trust deficit between IA and defence PSUs will go down when performance comes in.

Heck, our grenades? We throw 5 hoping at least 1 or 2 will burst!

Tell me, is this acceptable in CQB? How do you expect IA to trust them?? I don't.

A 12 inch blade khukhri, made in a small village Nathang, of East Sikkim near Nathu La by a villager for me, never left my side sir! I trust it more than what OFB gave IA with all it's 'hi tech' set up..

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
    lca-fan, Agent_47, zebra7 and 4 others like this.
  7. bharathp

bharathp Developers Guild Developers -IT and R&D

Country Flag:
    India
    which is why I said - you may be privy to some news that many here dont. But we all base our understanding on what we know. If you know better - please do share and help in creating a better knowledge base.

Hellfire likes this.
  8. Hellfire

Country Flag:
    India

I was waiting for @SrNair to elaborate on what he was implying. Hence, only posted that much initially.

We all are here to learn. Make no mistake, I am sure I learn more than probably you all do combined.

Some very learned members here :)

SrNair likes this.
  9. Hellfire

Country Flag:
    India

None can.

10. Lion of Rajputana

Lion of Rajputana Captain FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    United States
    I really need to get my hands on one. I'd probably hang on to it wherever I went, especially camping expeditions.

SrNair and Hellfire like this.
  11. Fox

Fox Supreme Overlord FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    Norway
    1.5 kg is really light. I'd like to the trial results first before I'm willing to believe that, but compared to the Skjold armor of the NFM Group isn't not that much lighter.

http://www.equipnor.com/media/1563/skjold_brochure_ven004.pdf

Here's a quick overview of NFM's Skjold armor, in use by Norwegian and French soldiers.

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

The carriers aren't too heavy and the plates are light weight as well, so while I'm skeptical of the claim of a 1.5 kg armor, it's not too outlandish. Use the right materials and you could end up with that weight for the carrier or a light fiber vest - carbon nano-fibers, non-Newtonian fluids, etc. However, you'll notice with the NFM Group's products that as you move up in protection class the area weight increases dramatically. Level IV armor designed to defeat armor-piercing, multiple hits is very heavy.

For light, mobile units like FSK, shown here, an equally light armor module is preferred for rapid engagements. You can see several of the Skjold types in these pictures.

20170112h_ 27712.jpg

20170112h_ 27725.jpg

20170112h_ 27734.jpg

20170112h_ 27789.jpg

Even when using high-density fibers or non-Newtonian fluids scale still increases weight.

The biggest problem with these types of armors, i.e., liquid armors or armored using nano-scale composites isn't that they can't be made light weight. It's that they've been unable to be made durable and most importantly, affordable. This wouldn't be the first alternative to Kevlar or Kevlar-liquid/composite combo to pop up. Will it be the first one to be affordable though?

12. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Permit for Night vision?
    In China they have tight gun control laws,but,combat gear, Night vision are openly sold on market.

SrNair and Hellfire like this.
  13. Hellfire

Country Flag:
    India

Night vision you can buy off the net. But the problem is on BPJ. Most traders will ask for a letter from Government.

Wolfpack likes this.
  14. SrNair

Country Flag:
    India
    Not at all Sirji .
    We already knows the chalta hai attitude of OFB lobbies ,since they have colourful govt jobs with minimum body shaking .
    But we didnt expected this kind of grave situation.
    Nurture the private sects .
    IA themselves should be in forefront to develop an understanding with private sectors.
    May be they will badly influence us once we get a far powerful continental projection capabilities but until then we have to go easy on private sectors

Hellfire likes this.
  15. grace

grace IDF NewBie

Country Flag:
    India
    guys we might have something in our hands, one of a kind material may be , just look at the credentials of scientist who developed it ....

https://www.amrita.edu/faculty/dr-shantanu-bhowmik

He has been honored by number of international research awards such as prestigious Research Award of Swiss National Science Foundationof Federal Government of Switzerland in February 2016. This program provides outstanding academicians/researches as Visiting Professorship in Swiss Universities. Marie Curie Research Award from European Union 7th Framework Program from European Commission in February 2014. Brain Pool Korea Research Award from Korean Federation of Science and Technology Societies, Government of Korea in July 2013 for his exemplary work. This program provides outstanding academicians/researches as Adjunct Professorship in Korean Universities.DST-DAAD PPP-2000 Research Award during his doctoral research and part of the doctoral research was carried out at Technical University of Berlin, Germany, Natural Science and Engineering Research Council (NSERC) Visiting Fellow Research Award of Government of Canada as one of the most promising and emerging scientists and the work was carried out at Royal Military College of Canada (under National Defence of Canada) and the Research Award of Prestigious National Academies (National Research Council of USA) for NASA’s Vision of Space Exploration to work at NASA-Marshal Space Flight Centre

madmax613, Sathya, Hellfire and 6 others like this.