Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Indian Small Arms Thread

Discussion in 'Tactical Hardware' started by Gessler, May 20, 2017.

1. bharathp

bharathp Developers Guild IDF NewBie

Country Flag:
    India
    then how did they fail a rifle?
    so get OFB's prodcuts - (agreed it must be bad) - test them, and no matter how they perform,fail them, based on specs imagined in their minds.

no engineer will build something without specs in the first place. what am I building? what should it do? is the first question an engineer would ask.
    and then the engineer will test it against those benchmarks before giving it over to the user.

what sort of a circus is this? the OFB created a rifle out of thin air (no specs from army - so they made up the specs then)- and gives it to army who says it fails because it dint live up to specs that they dont have yet. well then - why dint you give those specs BEFORE these OFB wala's started making their damn gun?

OFB happy (they got to make the rifle in the first place - shitty as it may be), army happy (they still get to order foreign maal). OFB claims they made a gun based on their perception of specs.

for the amount of money that will go nto this order - you can probably buy off a few elite engineers and build the damn rifle at home.

Dagger likes this.
  2. Gessler

Gessler BANNED BANNED

Country Flag:
    India
    [​IMG]

From INDRA Networks: The Assam Rifles have also started receiving the FAB Defense AK modernization kit. It's good to see Army counter-insurgency units learning from each other and adopting similar equipment, unless the whole thing is a completely MoD/Army HQ-overseen affair (in which case it's also good).

Also note that this Kalashnikov also has the magazine with a slit-window (could be the Ultimag AK30R from the same company, though some finer details appear missing), which didn't show up on the previously seen RR-operated FAB mods.

[​IMG]

P.S. I do wish our forces make it a point to practice absolute trigger discipline even while posing for candid shots.

@Abingdonboy @randomradio @PARIKRAMA @MilSpec @Agent_47 @Hellfire @Levina @GSLV Mk III

Hellfire, Levina, nik141993 and 3 others like this.
  3. Abingdonboy

Abingdonboy Major IDF NewBie

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    Is there any actual indicaton that any of this is an offical effort to update the equipment of the CT units or is this induviduals soldiers updating their kit out of their own pocket as we have seen(but to a lesser degree) in the past?

I would be happy to hear the IA/MoD had opened their eyes to the reality of after-market imrovements to their equipment.

Gessler likes this.
  4. Gessler

Gessler BANNED BANNED

Country Flag:
    India
    From what @MilSpec previously opinionated, it's very much possible that this is just the individual/unit-level procurement - however with Assam Rifles (AR) also adopting it, it seems (or at least I'd like to believe) that there is some level of coordination going on between the various units.

I've also learnt from INDRA that at least a third of AR AKs are being modded - and it could increase from there. I'd say that points toward a somewhat high-level bulk order of this equipment.

Abingdonboy likes this.
  5. Abingdonboy

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    This level of ad-hocism is most frustrating, bits and peices here and there, no real order or objective.

Just highlights once again how broken the entire planning-procurement-deployment cycle is within the IA.

Gessler likes this.
  6. bharathp

bharathp Developers Guild IDF NewBie

Country Flag:
    India
    most probably a result of funds being disbursed in piece meal towards procurement of such high number of weapons (small arms). along with the various pockets the meager funds have to line before eventually making it to the beleaguered jawan holding a broken rifle to protect an infested motherland with nothing but pride. pity!

Abingdonboy likes this.
  7. Agent_47

Agent_47 Admin - Blog IDF NewBie

Country Flag:
    India
  8. Agent_47

Country Flag:
    India
  9. Gessler

Gessler BANNED BANNED

Country Flag:
    India
  10. Blackjay

Blackjay Developers Guild IDF NewBie

Country Flag:
    India
    bharathp likes this.
  11. Abingdonboy

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    Whoa, the build quality of this rifle looks amazing, a HUGE step above any INSAS variant seen so far.

+ amazing to see such a decent buttstock on a OFB designed product!

If the IA truly does find a way of scuppering a deal to buy this rifle those responsible for the call will deserve to hang.

Gessler likes this.
  12. Gessler

Gessler BANNED BANNED

Country Flag:
    India
    The buttstock is from our trusted friend FAB Defense :tongue: The design is the GLR-16 and I've seen this type (side folding ones) in use with SA58s.

[​IMG]

I agree. This video made me fall in love with the OFB 7.62 rifle.

Ved Mishra, Abingdonboy and Blackjay like this.
  13. Agent_47

Country Flag:
    India
    They should be working with them instant of rejecting it in one go. SandeepU said MCIWS was closed like a year ago.

14. kurup

kurup 2nd Lieutant IDF NewBie

Abingdonboy and Blackjay like this.
  15. Ved Mishra

Ved Mishra Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    So is this the Ghaatak which has been selected? What about the RFI then?