Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Indian Soldiers to Get a Rare Tribute in Israel

Discussion in 'Indian Army' started by SpArK, Sep 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpArK

SpArK SorCeroR Staff Member ADMINISTRATOR

Indian Soldiers to Get a Rare Tribute in Israel

In a tribute to Indian soldiers, the municipality of Haifa has decided to include the stories of their valiant efforts in liberating the city during the First World War by incorporating them in Israeli school curricula as part of the history textbooks.

"The residents of Haifa have learnt to appreciate the contribution of the Indian soldiers and as a mark of recognition, the stories of their brave deeds will be taught at schools here to preserve the city's history and heritage," acting Mayor of Haifa, Hedva Almog, said addressing a gathering assembled to pay respects to the fallen Indian soldiers.

A large number of Indian soldiers sacrificed their lives in this region during the First World War and nearly 900 are cremated or buried in cemeteries across Israel.

India's Ambassador to Israel Navtej Sarna released a book, Memorials of Indian soldiers in Israel, on the occasion as part of an initiative that will spread more awareness and greater recognition for the supreme sacrifice made by these soldiers.

"It was no ordinary battle because the Indian soldiers, hailing from various parts of the country and belonging to different faiths, fought bravely for the British here while back home Indians were fighting against them for Independence," Sarna said.

The commemoration is "a part of a mosaic of this very wide ranging Indo-Israel ties," the Indian envoy said.

He also thanked the role of the Haifa Historical Society which has done an extensive research on the role of the Indian army in the region.

The Indian army commemorates September 23 every year as Haifa Day to pay its respects to the two brave Indian Cavalry Regiments that helped liberate the city in 1918 following a dashing cavalry action by the 15th Imperial Service Cavalry Brigade.

Residents of the Israeli city also celebrate Haifa Day the same day with a series of cultural programmes during the week.

In the autumn of 1918, the Indian Brigade was a part of the Allied Forces sweeping northwards through Palestine in what is seen as the last great cavalry campaign in history.

"No more remarkable cavalry action of its scale was fought in the whole course of the campaign. Machine gun bullets over and over again failed to stop the galloping horses even though many of them succumbed afterwards to their injuries", is how the Official History of the War (Military operation Egypt and Palestine: volume 2) describes the Indian troops bravery.

Captain Aman Singh Bahadur and Dafadar Jor Singh were awarded the Indian Order of Merit (IOM) and Captain Anop Singh and 2nd Lt Sagat Singh were awarded the Military Cross (MC) as recognition for their bravery in this battle.

Major Dalpat Singh (MC) is known in the annals of history as the 'Hero of Haifa' for his critical role in the Liberation of the city.

He was awarded a military cross for his bravery.

The municipality of Haifa also announced to organise a ceremony every year to commemorate the role of the Indian army in liberating the city from Turks after almost 402 years.

Defence Attaches of several countries also laid wreath in honour of the fallen Indian soldiers.
    FILED ON: SEP 19, 2011

news.outlookindia.com | Indian Soldiers to Get a Rare Tribute in Israel

6 people like this.
  2. Pratap Yadav

Pratap Yadav FULL MEMBER

^^ I thought indian are getting tribute for supporting Palestine state :haha:

3. illuminati

illuminati Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Indians shall always remain neutrals.

1 person likes this.
  4. Pratap Yadav

Pratap Yadav FULL MEMBER

^ Neutral then abstain..

5. ManuSankar

ManuSankar Major SENIOR MEMBER

Many foreign countries recognize Indian contribution in two world wars.But in India we try to forget it,we glorify actions of S.C Bose but the stories of these forgotten heroes are never been told.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
    4 people like this.
  6. Pratap Yadav

Pratap Yadav FULL MEMBER

S C Bose was nothing more than a fugative to my eyes.
    But i salute his sprit which is dedicated to nation building.
    If You remove sprit then Bhagat would be nothing more a terrorist!

7. ManuSankar

S.C Bose want an Independent India for that he collaborated with Nazi's and Japanese empire.Bhagat Singh was a true patriot so calling him a terrorist is insult to his martyrdom. That was really a different time we may not understand their action but their stories still inspire us.

2 people like this.
  8. Pratap Yadav

Pratap Yadav FULL MEMBER

martyr for one is terrorist for another party. what's the difference.
    Difference lies in the sprit in which work has been done or call it motive.
    S C bose was as great as bhagat singh. Both want to liberate india thier means may be different but Goal was same. Differencing between them is as foolish.

9. Mike

Mike Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

I'm proud to say that my grandfather took part in this battle. He was later awarded the IDSM (Indian Distinguished Service Medal) for gallantry in Iraq whilst serving with the 33rd Cavalry of the British Indian Army (Now part of Pakistan's Armored Corps). His stories of the battles at Haifa and Iraq made fascinating reading, the stuff legends are made of!

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
    3 people like this.
  10. Manmohan Yadav

Manmohan Yadav Brigadier STAR MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Neutrality Gets My Vote

11. Mr Hit Smith

Mr Hit Smith 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

S.C Bose the forgotten hero >> watched that movie like 15+ times love it!

2 great personalities(leaders) who inspires me
    Adolf Hitler , Subhas Chandra Bose :tup::tup::tup:

12. ManuSankar

Hitler,you gotta be kidding me????

13. Sanjeeb Bose

Sanjeeb Bose Lieutenant SENIOR MEMBER

I did not understood your point... what S.C. Bose has to do with tributes to our forgotten heroes ? Please elaborate...

My respect & tribute to the GREAT Indian Army on its sacrifices at war on liberation of this city...

14. Novice09

Novice09 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

If cost to make my country independent is to get help from Nazis and Japanese then I will do that... S.C. Bose was a hero, is a hero and will remain a hero...

Just try to imagine... Ajad Hind Fauj defeated the Britishers and India is independent... now, tell me what would be the content of history books... winner always writes the history...

On topic...

the soldier sacrifices his life for his country and martyrdom is a tribute itself... India Gate is a tribute to all fallen heros of India...

15. ManuSankar

The veterans of SC Bose's Indian National Army received all kind benefits after Independence.But those who fought for British Empire never got any benefits,their actions have completely forgotten by public as if some kind of disgrace!!!
    Watch this videos.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.