Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Indian Tender For Next Gen Subs (Project-75I)

Discussion in 'Indian Navy' started by tariqkhan18, Feb 23, 2011.

1. tariqkhan18

tariqkhan18 Major Staff Member ADMINISTRATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    Project-75A / Project-75I / Project 76

By 2007 India began a hunt for six more submarines to add to the six being built at Mazagon Docks under the mammoth Rs 18,798-crore Scorpene project. "We are now actively looking at the second line of submarines after the Scorpenes. I think the global tender for the six new submarines should be floated in the next financial year (2008-2009)," navy chief Admiral Sureesh Mehta told TOI. The contenders for the six new submarines could include the German HDW and Russian Amur submarines, with the French Scorpenes also being in the reckoning for a repeat order.

Request for information were issued in 2007 to the French DCNS, Spanish Navantia, Russian Rubin and German HDW. "It is a new submarine. It is not the Scorpene and it is a bigger submarine with specific features," Alain Fougeron, Executive VP, DCNS says about its new submarines. The key differentiator from its existing fleet of 16 submarines will be a new class of missiles, which will establish India as the leading naval power in the region. "The missile component of the Submarine weapon is very important and it should be very powerful," Andrey V Efimov, Manager, Rubin Design Bureau, says.

The Russians are hesitant on allowing license production for the Amur, and have stated that India should purchase a few of those vessels from their shipyard. As of 2005 there was one Amur being built for export purpose. There is speculation that 6 ot 8 Amur (with 10 VLS Brahmos) might be built in India.

On 20 August 2008 it was reported that the Indian Navy's next order for seven submarines, a follow-on order to the six French-designed Scorpenes already under various stages of construction at French and Indian shipyards, will all be armed with the sub-surface version of the Indo-Russian supersonic BrahMos cruise missile. This was stated by Alexander Dergachev, chairman of board of directors of the BrahMos Aerospace joint-venture. Expressing the hope that the submarine order would be placed soon enough Dergachev said, "The missiles will be made for submarines of the Indian Navy. The nearest order is seven submarines. We do not know yet when exactly it is going to happen. I hope soon."

Initially 6 Scorpene will be built as part of Project-75 at the Mazagoan Dock, and later another 6 as part of Project-76. As part of 30 year submarine building program India plans on 24 subs of the SSK type. With 6 Scorpene plus 6 Project-76, the remaining 12-10 subs will be of an indigenous design, possibly displacing upwards of 3,000 tons, based on the best of what Scorpene and Amur has to offer. The additional six submarines will start joining the Indian Navy fleet after all the first set of six Scorpenes have joined the naval fleet.

Project 75I

In October 2008 the Indian Navy issued RFIs (request for information) to a number of international shipbuilding and design yards/firms for the next generation of submarines to be constructed at its shipyards. The RFIs were issued to Russian (Rosoboronexport), French (Armaris) and German (HDW) firms, among others. At that time another round of discussions appeared likely before the RFP (request for proposal), or a global tender, was issued in late-2008 or early-2009. To be executed under Project-75A all the six vessels of this second line of diesel-electric submarines, were to be equipped with air-independent propulsion (AIP).

[​IMG]

Wolfpack, omya and satya like this.
  2. tariqkhan18

Country Flag:
    India
    Re: Project-75A | Project-75I | Project-76 (Next Gen Subs) News & Updates

India to spend $11 billion on six next-gen subs

The Indian government is expected to prepare $11 billion for the construction of six next-generation submarines. The new sub-marines will be used to modernize the aging submarine fleet and improve the defensive and offensive capabilities of the Indian Navy.

If a contract on that deal is signed, then this will be the biggest defense order in India’s history. It will even eclipse the delayed acquisition of multi-role combat aircraft. The new submarine program is known as Project 75I (75 India) and it will be a follow-on project to the six Scorpene submarines which are currently being manufactured at the Mazagon Docks Limited (MLD).

According to Admiral Verma, the government has already accepted the Project 75I and is currently processing a request for information (RFI). It is expected that within a year, India will progress to the next phase of the order. At the moment the Scorpene submarines are built by the MDL and French firm DONS for the price of $4 billion.

Currently the Indian Navy operates only 14 diesel-electric submarines. 10 of those are Kilo class Soviet-origin vessels and the rest of them are the well known HD German-origin vessels. A lot of these vessels have undergone a refitting and modernization program.

India to spend $11 billion on six next-gen subs | Indian Defence

3. Dilemma

Dilemma Captain SENIOR MEMBER

India To Test Fire Barak Missile This Year

Mar 28, 2011

By Jay Menon jcmenon@gmail.com
    NEW DELHI

The first test flight of the Indo-Israeli long-range, surface-to-air missile (LR-SAM), also called Barak-2, will be undertaken this year, says a senior official at India’s defense research agency.

The Defense Research and Development Organization (DRDO), the prime developer of the project, says the missile, at an estimated cost of 26.06 billion rupees ($581 million), has reached its final stage. “We expect to carry out the test flight soon,â€￾ the official adds. The test flight of Barak-2 will be one of 11 missile tests scheduled by DRDO this year. It had been expected last year. According to the DRDO official, more than 70% of the content in the missile will be indigenous.

Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI), the key partner of the program, says the missile is designed to be used as a point-defense system on warships, defending against aircraft, anti-ship missiles and unmanned aerial vehicles. The missile can hit targets at a range of 70-100 km (37-62 mi.).

The first test of the missile was held in Israel last May. The LR-SAM will equip the three guided missile destroyers of the Project 15A class, which are likely to join the Indian navy in 2012.

IAI officials say the missiles, which are mounted in an eight-cell container and are launched straight up, are undergoing simulated tests in Israel. The radar system provides a 360-deg. coverage, and the missiles can take down an incoming target as close as 500 meters (1,640 ft.) from the ship.

Along with the indigenously built Akash SAM (Aerospace DAILY, March 28), the LR-SAM fills a longer-range requirement of the Indian defense system, and both types will complement each other.

A second variant, called the Medium-Range SAM (MR-SAM), is also being developed for the Indian air force (IAF) at a cost of about 100 billion rupees. The project, signed in 2009, is expected to replace all the IAF’s aging Soviet-made Pechora SAM missiles.

A high-level defense team from Israel visited New Delhi two weeks ago and had detailed discussions with senior military and DRDO officials on the missile program. Israel has become one of the top defense suppliers to India, after Russia. Indo-Israel defense cooperation underwent a strategic shift recently when New Delhi decided to spend a major chunk of its defense budget on purchases from Israel.

India To Test Fire Barak Missile This Year | AVIATION WEEK

4. Wolf 9

Wolf 9 Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

I think ,
    Project 75 A is for 6 Scorpene .
    Project 75 I is in RFI phase .
    Project 76 will be best of project 75 A and project 76 I or any indigenous effort .
    Is this true?

5. Pawan Kumar

Pawan Kumar REGISTERED

I learned that India has paid Rs 6000 crores for scorpene. So it will be good idea that while P75I tender process complete, india start buliding another 4 to 6 Scorpene.

Dwindling Submarine strength is biggest challange being faced by INS

6. tariqkhan18

Country Flag:
    India

Scorpene is already very delayed. There is no need to spend further on that type, spending on the next generation sub is the way to go currently.

1 person likes this.
  7. Firemaster

Firemaster Captain STAR MEMBER

Exactly but it should be indigenous

8. Manmohan Yadav

Manmohan Yadav Brigadier STAR MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India

next generation indigenous home grown subs get my vote :dance3:

Indian Jatt likes this.
  9. Sancho

Sancho Lt. Colonel Technical Analyst

NG in this case means subs with AIP propulsion, because if at all, only the last 3 Scorpene subs will get MESA AIP, while the new order is said to add only AIP subs. Since the Scorpenes offered now are with AIP, they must be counted as NG as well and when you look at the pros and cons, their chances of a follow deal are quiet good!

- commonalily to earlier order
    - faster production, because of experience with earlier deal
    - more ToT which might be useful for our SSBN/SSN developments
    - if Scalp is offered, they will have long range attack capability

The Russian sub is attractive only because of Brahmos, but then they would lack AIP, which might be countered by AIP + Klub missiles again.
    The German subs are maybe the best in performance, with an highly capable and mature AIP system and if offered with IDAS, also a good defence capability. The downside is, the long range attack capability, since it's unlcear if Brahmos could be integrated and what other missiles could be used?

Will be interesting to see what IN really wants and moreover when they will take a decision. Imo they are way too late and are too slow in the anti submarine warfare! We have too less MPA (12 P8Is are not enough) and too less hunter subs to cover such a large costal area and the Chinese spy ships are already gathering data of our area of interest, to operate their subs.

1 person likes this.
  10. Manmohan Yadav

Manmohan Yadav Brigadier STAR MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India

We need a strong submarines force, we are seriously lacking in it

11. SajeevJino

SajeevJino Major SENIOR MEMBER

we can't wait to the Aircraft carriers ......because China had tested their aircraft carrier...so we need to boost up our project ....

12. Nick 779

Nick 779 Captain SENIOR MEMBER

How India lost the plot on Submarine Purchase.
    Published November 3, 2011

SOURCE: VINAYAKS SHETTY FOR IDRW.ORG

1980’s was Glorious years for Indian Navy’s submarine arm, it had an impressive 21 Submarine under its arms, not only that, it was successfully operating Russian leased nuclear submarine INS Chakra under its command.

So went wrong, where did India lose the plot, that now India navy only has 14 submarines under it fleet , and in next few year’s numbers will only decline? .major reason for that fallout can be blamed on HDW Submarine scam ,which came into light when Rajiv Gandhi was the Prime Minister of India. The case was registered by the defence minister at that time V P Singh in March 1990 after receiving a telegraphic message from the Indian Ambassador in Germany that time about the payment of 7 % to some middlemen.

India inducted four Dr Gabler 1500 HDW/IKL designed submarines between 1986 and 1994, first two were delivered by the submarine manufacture HDW. In 1982 had send various Naval officers and MDL workers to Germany for training in the construction of those submarine at a great expense, with successful TOT and with local submarine building expertise at hand, India was able to build only two HDW submarine and plans were to construct at least reported 4 more submarine locally .surfacing of the HDW scam, not only lead to blacklisting of the company but also long and lengthy CBI probe into the matter. This almost bought all Submarine purchase to stand still.

How worse was it for Navy? Well last submarine inducted was 11 years ago, and in last 21 years, only two were inducted .last one to be inducted was the Russian built Kilo class submarine INS Sindhushastra (S 65) which was commissioned in June 2000.

Sleep could have gone for few more years, but India got a rude shock, when Pakistani purchased new modern French built Agosta 90B submarine in 99, even with this event, India took its own time to select French Scorpion submarine and went into an agreement only in 2005.

After HDW scam, local expertise were lost on submarine building and docks were empty and idle for two decades , and now we are painfully re-learning that art , production of Scorpion submarine locally ,without experts at hand has already seen delays , so much so that first submarine will only be inducted in 2015 , instead on this year .

India’s Submarine building plan approved by Government of India in 1999, had approved 24 conventional (Diesel) submarine by 2030, it was divided into three phase.

First Phase: procurement of Six French Scorpion submarine under Project 75, first submarine to be inducted by 2011, but after delays it has been put to 2015.

Second Phase: procurement of six more submarine under Project 75 (I), for which French have proposed a larger and advance Scorpion variant , which has been backed by Mazagon Docks . RFP (request for proposal) has been send to Rosoboronexport (Russian), DCNS/Armaris (French), HDW (German) and Navantia (Spain). Short listing and detailed technical and commercial negotiations will follow, before the actual contract can be inked by 2014-15. Indian navy wants private shipyard to build this phase of the submarines, since it feels that Mazagon Docks are overloaded with construction of Scorpion submarine. It seems Navy might have learned from its mistake and will purchase first two submarines from selected vendor and give enough time to train officials and engineers.

Third Phase: Locally developing 12 Diesel Submarine in India, with construction to begin post 2020, but development or even research, seems to be on back burner and nowhere in Horizon.

On Nuclear Submarine front , India’s Much publicised Secret Nuclear submarine project under Advanced Technology Vessel (ATV) , was been developed at snail pace , and DRDO took close to 3 decades in its development , but first two decades only involved development and research and construction activity was carried out only in last decade .lead ship of Advanced Technology Vessel (ATV) INS Arihant (S-73) was launched and introduced to the public on 26 July 2009, and currently carrying out sea trials , and the second Submarine under Arihant class is reported to be under construction . The completion of the INS Arihant will make India one of six countries in the world with the ability to design, build, and operate its own nuclear submarines .But India is yet to launch its SSBN class submarines .

Indian Navy has now 14 conventional submarines, of which 10 are Russian build Kilo class submarine and 4 German designed HDW Submarine, first 6 kilo class submarine in Indian navy at present are 22 years old and ageing. And the Seventh Kilo Class Submarine (Sindhukirti (S61)) which was under refit in Hindustan Shipyard Ltd (HSL) to enable it to fire Uran missiles with Russian help is in dismal condition and after close to four years in docks, submarine is still not ready and it has been citied that the submarine is has good has lost due to poor engineering works carried out on the hull of the submarine .so Indian navy is unofficially down to 13 Submarines at present.

Indian Economy is expanding and it requires strong navy to protect its interest, energy security. Stability in the Indian Ocean will depend on Indian navy; China with close to 60 Conventional submarines is also more interested in securing its energy needs and is more interested in dominating Indian Ocean .dominance which Indian navy has been holding for decades now.

13. Agent_47

Agent_47 Admin - Blog IDF NewBie

Country Flag:
    India

Plans to acquire six new-generation stealth submarines chokes on red tape

NEW DELHI: The country's long-delayed 'Project-75 India' to acquire six new-generation stealth submarines has gone into such a tailspin that it will take at least another two-three years to be even finalized.

As it takes six-seven years to build an advanced submarine , the Navy is faced with the chilling prospect of getting the P-75 I boats much beyond 2020, leaving its conventional underwater combat arm without the requisite punch it will need to deter China and Pakistan. Defence sources say floating of the global tender or RFP (request for proposal) for the critical P-75 I, which envisages manufacture of the six submarines with international collaboration for over Rs 50,000 crore, "is still several months away" .

Originally, three of the submarines were to be constructed at Mazagon Docks (MDL) in Mumbai, while another came up at Hindustan Shipyard in Visakhapatnam. The other two were to be either imported from the foreign collaborator or built by a domestic private shipyard, as first reported by TOI last year. But with the Navy and the MoD pulling in different directions on the shipyards which should execute P-75 I, coupled with defence minister A K Antony failing to crack the whip and the PMO itself getting involved, three committees were constituted one after the other to examine the project.

Feedback on the report of the third committee, headed by technocrat V Krishnamurthy, which assessed the infrastructure and capabilities in private shipyards will now be submitted to the defence acquisitions council chaired by Antony. "The RFP can be issued only by mid-2012 at the earliest," said a source. Complex negotiations will thereafter follow with the foreign vendors. "The actual contract is likely to be inked only by 2014-15 . So, in effect, we are now looking at inducting the first P-75 I submarine by 2022 or so," he said.

Plans to acquire six new-generation stealth submarines chokes on red tape - Economic Times

14. Agent_47

Agent_47 Admin - Blog IDF NewBie

Country Flag:
    India

India falters in getting its new submarine plan off the block

NEW DELHI: The country's long-delayed 'Project-75India' to acquire six new-generation stealth submarines has gone into such a tailspin that it will take at least another two-three years to be even finalized.

With it taking six-seven years to build an advanced submarine, the Navy is faced with the chilling prospect of getting the P-75I boats much beyond 2020, leaving its conventional underwater combat arm without the requisite punch it will need to deter China and Pakistan.

Top defence sources say floating of the global tender or RFP (request for proposal) for the critical P-75I, which envisages manufacture of the six submarines with international collaboration for over Rs 50,000 crore, "is still several months away".

Originally, three of the submarines were to be constructed at Mazagon Docks (MDL) in Mumbai, while another came up at Hindustan Shipyard in Visakhapatnam. The other two were to be either imported from the foreign collaborator or built by a domestic private shipyard, as first reported by TOI last year.

But with the Navy and the MoD pulling in different directions on the shipyards which should execute P-75I, coupled with defence minister A K Antony failing to crack the whip and the PMO itself getting involved, three committees were constituted one after the other to examine the project.

Feedback on the report of the third committee, headed by technocrat V Krishnamurthy, which assessed the infrastructure and capabilities in private shipyards like L&T, Pipavav and ABG to manufacture submarines, will now be submitted to the defence acquisitions council (DAC) chaired by Antony.

"The RFP can be issued only by mid-2012 at the earliest," said a source. Complex negotiations will thereafter follow with the foreign vendors (Russian Rosoboronexport, French DCNS, German HDW and Spanish Navantia) because the submarines have to be equipped with both tube-launched missiles for land-attack capabilities as well as air-independent propulsion for greater underwater endurance.

"The actual contract is likely to be inked only by 2014-15. So, in effect, we are now looking at inducting the first P-75I submarine by 2022 or so," he said.

This when the 30-year submarine-building plan approved by the Cabinet Committee on Security in 1999 envisaged induction of 12 new submarines by 2012, followed by another dozen by 2030.

But 12 years down the line, not a single new submarine has been inducted. Even the ongoing Rs 23,562-crore 'Project-75' to build six French Scorpene submarines at MDL is running three years behind schedule, with the induction delayed to 2015-20.

The Navy will be left with just two to three of its existing 10 Russian Kilo-class and four German HDW submarines by 2022. Consequently, even with the six Scorpenes, the nation will fall far short of the minimum of 18 conventional submarines required to deter Pakistan and China.

India falters in getting its new submarine plan off the block - Times Of India

15. DrSomnath999

DrSomnath999 Major RESEARCHER

Country Flag:
    France
    TYPE 214 SUB VS AMUR 1650 SUB A Layman's analysis

PLZ NOTE ANYONE HAVING DIFFICULTY VIEWING THE PICS THEN KINDLY SAVE IT TO UR COMPUTER & THEN ZOOM IT FOR BETTER VIEW

1.INTRODUCTION
    [​IMG]

AMUR 1650 SUBMARINE
    • It is a new 4th gen diesel electric ,export version submarine which is have been laid down at the Admiralteiskiye Verfi
    state-owned shipyard in St. Petersburg.Designed to destroy hostile submarines and surface ships, to protect friendly naval bases, seacoast and communications, as well as to carry out reconnaissance missions.

TYPE 214 SUBMARINE
    • The Type 214 is a diesel-electric submarine developed by Howaldtswerke-Deutsche Werft GmbH (HDW). It features diesel propulsion with an air-independent propulsion (AIP) system using Siemens polymer electrolyte membrane (PEM) hydrogen fuel cells. The Type 214 submarine is derived from the Type 212, but as an export variant it lacks some of the classified technologies of its smaller predecessor.

It is well equipped to undertake a wide scope of missions ranging from operations in littoral waters to ocean-going patrols. The modular weapon and sensor mix, in combination with the submarine's air-independent features, makes the Class 214 predestined for
    •anti-surface ship and anti-submarine operations
    •intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance tasks
    •Special Forces operations.
    Howaldtswerke-Deutsche Werft GmbH

2.SIZE
    [​IMG]
    AMUR 1650 SUBMARINE
    • surface displacement: 1765 m³ /1,675 tons
    • Submerged displacement:2500-2600 m³/2,800 tons
    • length: 66.8 m
    • pressure hull diameter: 7.1 m
    • Height :8.2m
    http://www.ckb-rubin.ru/fileadmin/editor/listovki/Amur_1650_eng.pdf
    Amur / Lada Class - Project 677

TYPE 214 SUBMARINE

• surface displacement:1,690 t (surface)
    • Submerged displacement:1,860 t (Submerged)
    • length: 213 feet 3 inches (65 m)
    • pressure hull diameter: 20 feet 8 inches (6.3 m)
    • Height :19 feet 8 inches (6 m)
    Type 214 submarine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Scorpene vs T-212 vs T-214

so amur 1650 is considerably larger sub than type 214 sub

3.PERFORMANCE
    [​IMG]
    AMUR 1650 SUBMARINE
    • Speed:19 kts (submerged)
    • Diving depth:300m-(maximum)
    • Range: (AIP) 300 -500 nm
    :(snorkel),4000 -6000nm
    http://www.ckb-rubin.ru/fileadmin/editor/listovki/Amur_1650_eng.pdf

TYPE 214 SUBMARINE

• Speed:20 kt submerged / fuel cells: 2-6 kt estimated
    • Diving depth: more than 250 m officially, 400 m estimated
    • Range: 420 nmi @ 8 kt (780 km @ 15 km/h) submerged
    : 1,248 nmi @ 4 kt (2,310 km @ 7 km/h) fuel cells
    Type 214 submarine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

so type 214 has much better performance in terms of range & speed & DIVING DEPTH as compare to AMUR 1650 SUB

4.STRUCTURE

[​IMG]

AMUR 1650 SUBMARINE

•Amur 1650 is a single-hull, single-shaft submarine with two reserve propulsors.

•The submarine has a solid hull made of unique highstrength steel alloys,

•According to Rubin, the ship features a new efficient antisonar coating of the hull new generation “Molniya†(“Lightningâ€).

•The submarine hull also has a new multi-layered rubber cover providing almost complete absorption of own noises
    generated by submarine mechanisms, and sonar echo signals.

• The submarine, its propulsion plant, machinery and weapons systems can be controlled either from the main control room or from separate battle stations.

http://www.roe.ru/cataloque/navy/navy_10-14.pdf
    http://spsnavalforces.net/ebook/21032011.pdf
    Russian Military Forces | Aviation | Navy | Infantry firearms | Communications | Ground systems | Weapon photogallery

TYPE 214 SUBMARINE

•Type 214 is a single hull,& made up of HY-80/HY-100 High Tensile steel

•A hull shape, which has been further optimised for hydrodynamic and stealth characteristics, and a low-noise propeller combine to decrease the submarine's acoustic signature.

U212 / U214 - Naval Technology

well structurally both are built keeping stealth as top priority in construction ,but AMUR 1650 external structure coating is better compare to type 214 ,while Type 214 hull sectioning & shaping are more stealth optimized than AMUR 1650 .

5.PROPULSION

[​IMG]

AMUR 1650 SUBMARINE

• The submarine's propulsion system integrates two diesel generators, a main electric propulsion motor, two air independent propulsion (AIP) systems and a single shaft driving on a skewed seven-bladed propeller

• An Air Independent Propulsion (AIP) system based on oxygen-hydrogen fuel cells is being offered for Amur-class submarines as option to achieve extended immersion endurance.

• The new diesel-electric propulsion system is arranged in a modular compartment which can be plugged into the basic submarine. A radio electronic equipment of a new generation, variable-speed permanent-magnet propulsion motor and storage battery with increased service life are provided to the 4th generation Russian non-nuclear submarine.

Project 677 Lada Class / Project 1650 Amur Class Submarines - Naval Technology
    Amur 1650

TYPE 214 SUBMARINE

• In the current design, propulsion is provided by two MTU 16 V 396 engines (2,000 kW) serving a 600-900 V propulsion battery with a fully integrated auxiliary AIP system based on two PEM (polymer electrolyte membrane ) 120 kW fuel cell modules.

• The propulsion motor is a Siemens Permasyn (type FR6439-3900 KW) low-speed permanently excited electric motor driving a Low-noise, skewback 7- blade propeller.
    Hellenic U214 pics (Greek Turkish Affairs Forum)
    Scorpene vs T-212 vs T-214

• It has an electrical propulsion system based on a silver oxide and aluminium battery.

well TYPE 214 SUBMARINE has much better propulsion than AMUR 1650 SUBMARINE thanks to it's better & efficient AIP system although both have skewed seven-bladed propeller .

zebra7, kiduva21, satz and 5 others like this.