Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Indian Tender For Next Gen Subs (Project-75I)

Discussion in 'Indian Navy' started by tariqkhan18, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Gessler

Gessler Mod MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    I'm still in favor of just scrapping the whole P75I tender, just order about 6 or so additional Scorpenes with AIP (on top of the 6+2 under P75) and shut the doors for conventional SSK procurement. Just make sure MDL's two parallel submarine production lines work fine.

By the time this decade is over, IN shouldn't still be looking to place orders for conventional subs. If at all a need arises - then more Scorpenes! It's a great boat, add AIP and you have a killer.

SSNs are where funds & efforts should be concentrated.

Sancho and Blackjay like this.
  2. Ankit Kumar 001

Ankit Kumar 001 Major Technical Analyst

Country Flag:
    India
    Forget the LHDs, hardly 25% navy ships carry helicopter. Which should have been in scrap.

3. Sancho

Sancho Lt. Colonel Technical Analyst

They build SSBNs based on Russian know how and designs, that doesn't automatically mean they can design and develop an own SSK right away.
    The logical choice would be a follow order for Scorpenes, but this time with AIP and have L&T/DRDO develop an own design in parallel.

4. Sancho

The LPD tender is not under the SPM, that's makes things different anyway. Reliance could win both.

5. Sancho

https://ria.ru/amp/defense_safety/20170811/1500179494.html

So Russia continues to not have an own operational AIP SSK, which means no experience in integrating one in their sub designs either.
    Using DRDOs experimental AIP and combine it with their subs won't be easy for sure.

6. Agent_47

Agent_47 Admin - Blog Staff Member MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    [​IMG]

Project 677 Lada class without AIP

7. Hjörþrimul

Hjörþrimul FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    Norway
    I'm on the fence regarding the Lada design. Originally the program was a massive failure due to severe structural and design issues with St. Peterburg, and with Kronshtadt having been stopped half-way through construction to implement quick-fix design changes. Velikiye Luki should be better, having implemented the changes done to Kronshtadt from the start, but with both boats still under construction, it's anyone's guess what problems will arise once they take to the sea. The lack of an AIP module isn't insignificant either.

I'd steer clear of the Lada until the two newer, redesigned boats have have time in the water. Until then there's too much risk that like St. Peterburg they'll have an issue.

Russia hasn't had the best of luck with submarines recently either. Borei, Yasen and Lada all had major issues. Only their special missions platforms like Sarov and Losharik have been relatively issue free.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They've also been rather successful in converting older submarines, such as the Delta-III stretch, Losharik's mothership.

[​IMG]

And a recent Delta-IV conversion BS-64 Podmoskovye, also a special mission spy-submarine. Immediately you'll notice the conversion lacks the missile hump.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Delta-III before conversion. It's similar to the Delta-IV.

[​IMG]

BS-64 during conversion, with its missile silos removed.

[​IMG]

Like Gessler, I'd rather see the IN pursue additional Scorpenes, though I'm not too hot on that design either.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
    Gessler likes this.
  8. Agent_47

Agent_47 Admin - Blog Staff Member MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    Yasen had design issues ?

9. Hjörþrimul

Hjörþrimul FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    Norway
    In a manner of speaking yes, though its major issues were financial and technological obsolescence largely. However, the Yasen and Yasen-M do differ in a few ways indicating the RN was unsatisfied with the original design.

The Pr.885 has just a single hatch covering the missile tubes, while the Pr.885M has twin doors. The Pr.885M is also about 10m shorter then the original Pr.885, also indicating the original design wasn't strictly satisfactory. Neither of these are issues though. Yasen's problems were external mostly. Yasen-M is in better shape, however, both from a financial and technical perspective.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gessler and Agent_47 like this.