Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

India's Economy Surpasses That Of Great Britain

Discussion in 'World Economy' started by randomradio, Dec 17, 2016.

1. Vidyanshu

Vidyanshu Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Bro, a hundred years back they were world's most powerful and richest country, the Great British Empire!

World War-2 took away their tag of the "most" powerful. Soon after that they lost almost all their colonies.
    Suez crisis took away their tag of "superpower", and today one of their former colonies is at verge of surpassing them economically. :india:

Just so many reasons for the Brits to feel bitter.:scare:

खिसियानी बिल्ली खंभा नोचे :rofl::rofl:

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
  2. GSLV Mk III

GSLV Mk III Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Lol, the Brits.Meanwhile on the other forum Bakistanis are whining about Indian defence budget being the world's third largest :rofl:

3. Indx TechStyle

Indx TechStyle Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Our so called "rulers" ships have even not anti ships missiles now.

Without NATO, UK is a banana.

Mark my words.

I just spanked them on their forum hard with my team, both threads deleted.:D

Schwifty, Abingdonboy and GRH like this.
  4. Gessler

Gessler Mod Staff Member MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    Keep the conversation about the economy, people.

Pay little attention to what a section of Brits and a majority of Pakistanis say on online forums.

One type has a problem with anything positive in India because they may perceive that our well-being is somehow a threat to them, or that we simply don't deserve to exist. Thankfully, this type is only a minority of British populace and might consist of individuals ranging from people who reminisce too much about the Empire/Colonialism in general, to downright Fascist/Nazi sympathizers (extremely small number, but still there), to just your average Brit who lost his job and somehow holds the nation/people of India responsible.

The other type (from across the border) have lived, breathed & drowned in Indophobia, straight from the days of the Madarasa/Primary Education. If you think the Soviets, Chinese & North Koreans print lies & wishful thinking in their school textbooks, then boy...you should read Pakistani educational materials. Everyone from Hindus to Christians and Jews are blamed for basically everything that's perceived to be wrong in the world. The world's first country that called itself "Islamic Republic". One who hates people from basically the same race, ethnicity as their's so much, that they're willing to slave under Communist Chinese (who'd have Uighur Muslims at gunpoint for just practicing Ramadan) if it means helping them defeat the Indians. Now that's some crazed, dangerous, suicide-bomber material right there.

Who gives half a shyt what some Brit THINKS? It's what a whole bunch of Pakistanis that are actually ready to strap their mothers, sisters & fetuses with RDX and have them run toward the LoC, that we should focus our energies on.

Just a little footnote...the Brits who like Colonialism & choose to view the world from that perspective, are an interesting lot. Frankly, I think it's just weird considering basically NONE of them were around at that point. They choose to reminisce and get lost in feelings & times that they never experienced or lived through in the first place! I think that at some mental level, they are very similar to the BlackLivesMatter lot...who think Whites owe them something, and complain all the time about Slavery, Institutionalized racism blah blah blah eventhough almost NONE of them actually experienced slavery or anyone telling them they can't become something because of their race.

So, yeah. Let's end this topic here & keep this thread only for economy-related discussions.

[​IMG]

Rain Man, Agent_47, R!CK and 8 others like this.
  5. vstol jockey

vstol jockey Colonel MILITARY STRATEGIST

Country Flag:
    India
    What is this superiority which these Brits keep talking about? Only for 100 yrs between Napolean and WW1, Britain ruled supreme. Before and after that, they were reduced to the status of a third rate power. India on the hand has been great for many centuries from 5000BC till 18th century AD till it got looted by British thugs.

6. BMD

BMD Lt. Colonel ELITE MEMBER

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    Except I kept the $450k in $s as a hedge to support my US dealership arm. Only one McLaren was sold, it was sold at $450k and the $450k remained in $s, hence the GDP for that production is $450k. TThis is how the IMF works it out, you are wrong, the end.

I am in no way tied to keeping all my sales revenue in any one currency, or even in currency. I can use it on the global market, I can buy $s, I can buy gold, I can buy silver, platinum, oil or other commodities, or even shares. Maybe I buy $450k of shares and they're now worth $900k. This is why it's always the exchange rate at the point of production that counts. And yes, all companies of a reasonable size, regardless of industry sector have finance arms solely for this purpose.

The bbc link I posted already explained this, so I don't know why I'm wasting my time. Wait a month or two and we'll find out what the IMF says anyway.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
  7. randomradio

randomradio Mod Staff Member MODERATOR

I know. That BBC article is right. And I've tried explaining this to you a long time ago, but you didn't listen. This was when you didn't want to believe the Indian economy is so much bigger than the size of its dollar figure.

The article says-
    If France does overtake the UK, it will be a reflection of exchange rates rather than how much is being produced in the economy.

If we actually compare India's actual economy without considering exchange rates, then India is bigger than Germany, France and UK combined, so it makes the comparison irrelevant, thereby making the article irrelevant.

I hope you understand now how big India truly is, since the article you posted highlights this.

8. BMD

BMD Lt. Colonel ELITE MEMBER

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    I'm referring to the part where it talks about the IMF and World Bank using an averaged exchange rate.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37763913

Why is it that one of your fellow countrymen managed to understand this and not you?

http://indiandefence.com/threads/in...hat-of-great-britain.57352/page-2#post-513344

Now next year the average exchange rate will be similar to what it is now, but the economy will benefit from the lower value of sterling in tourism and exports too, so you will see physically more being produced with roughly the same combined $ value.

And you do realise you're comparing the combined product of 1,400,000,000 people, with that of 65,000,000 people? If you want to compare how well you're doing relative to population size, compare yourself with China and you'll find the true and somewhat unfortunate answer.

9. Sathya

Sathya Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Yow.. I want my state Tamil Nadu to beat UK in economy .
    I don't particularly enjoy seeing my country edging past a single European country .

Schwifty and Dagger like this.
  10. randomradio

Didn't I already say the article is right?

Let's see.

Yes, we are half that of China in that sense, so about the same size as Germany, France and the UK. China is twice the size of Germany, France and the UK.

11. vstol jockey

Country Flag:
    India
    I fully agree with what @randomradio posted. The GDP must be judged based on two parameters. Domestic consumption and external trade reduced to domestic value system. Its the nations money which gets converted to an acceptable exchange rate for foreign trade irrespective of imports or exports. So the GDP of a nation should always be based on an index of goodies which each currency can buy in each nation. If we follow this notion which even BBC-Biggest has propounded, India comes on top of even US & China. But British lack brains and are idiots to the core. They live in so called past glory which actually was never there. With India as their colony they ruled world for just 100 years. I will shower more respect on French and Germans than any British.

Abingdonboy likes this.
  12. Dagger

Dagger 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    I am quite the fan of your passion for IAF,IN and your LSA , but this post is a rather sad low blow. I would rather not see someone almost guestlike and contributing such as BMD bite his tongue through this because its an Indian forum.

I say this even after have just been through the arrse.co.uk posts on India- truly sickening. Bloody Racists - Recurring theme of calling India a rape capital ( UK with 17.2 rapes per 100000 and India with 1.8 - http://www.unodc.org/documents/data-and-analysis/statistics/crime/CTS12_Sexual_violence.xls ), and the talk of toilets.

Still, fighting for all that to the people here who are actually decent will just be this forums loss.

Have a Good One.

13. vstol jockey

Country Flag:
    India
    Bro, Can we agree to some kind of a yard stick between just Two of us to calculate the GDP of a nation based on what BBC had stated?
    Let me propose that we start with what a pound can buy in UK and what will it cost in equivalent terms in India. It could be a loaf of bread, a litre of milk or a full meal on a street with street vendors. But taxes vary for each nation and that makes the actual selling price different. So let us agree to have the net export price as the medium and the normal scale for calculating the size of GDP.
    You will fail miserably bcoz India is a net importer and not a net exporter. So the size of Indian GDP is much higher compared to UK, China & Japan which are net exporters. I hope you understand it all based on the gyaan dished out by BBC itself.

Abingdonboy and Dagger like this.
  14. Dagger

Dagger 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    On Topic. .I am quite on your side of the court. The Bullshit BBC produces either on India or the Islamism threat should be treated as such . GDP-PPP is the real measure of a nations economy - real produce. We have left all the European countries in the dust long back. But I disagree/dont-really-understand how we beat China. But, just a matter of time till we race over China too with our advantage of lesser corruption/ more accountability and a empowered democratic people rather than the lambs under communism.

15. randomradio

I wouldn't go so far as to say we are equal to China or the US yet because these two countries beat us on far too many socio-economic parameters.

But if you want comparison of prices, there are websites available for that.
    Delhi vs New York
    https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-livi...2=New+York,+NY&tracking=getDispatchComparison

Delhi vs Beijing
    https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-livi...&city2=Beijing&tracking=getDispatchComparison

Delhi vs London
    https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-livi...i&city2=London&tracking=getDispatchComparison

R!CK likes this.