Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

India’s First BVR Missile Astra on Verge of Commercial Production

Discussion in 'Indian Military Doctrine' started by SilentSpectator, Nov 26, 2016.

1. kaku

kaku Major REGISTERED

Read above post, DRDO always made distinction and always tested against Benshee.

Are you claiming Vympel are idiots who described two different ranges?

2. X_Killer

X_Killer Captain FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    [​IMG]

NEWSBREAK: India's ASTRA beyond visual range air-to-air missile completes development trials with 7 fresh tests from a Su-30.

soutce: LiveFist

Sathya, Schwifty, Art90 and 8 others like this.
  3. Agent_47

Agent_47 Admin - Blog IDF NewBie

Country Flag:
    India
    This is excellent news the missile was with indian seeker designed by RCI :

The final Development Flight Trials of Astra - Beyond Visual Range Air to Air Missile (BVRAAM) were successfully conducted over the Bay of Bengal, Off the Coast of Chandipur, Odisha during 11-14 Sep 2017. A total of seven trials were conducted against Pilotless Target Aircrafts (PTA) successfully.

The missions included engagement of target at very long range, engagement of high manoeuvring target at medium range and multiple launches of missiles in salvo to engage multiple targets. All the sub-systems including the indigenous RF Seeker performed accurately, meeting all the mission parameters and objectives. Two missiles were also launched in the combat configuration with warhead and the targets were neutralized.

This effort for building a state-of-the-art BVRAAM by Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), together with Indian Air Force (IAF) has completed the development phase of the weapon system successfully. Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) has played a role in modifying the aircraft for weapon integration. More than 50 public and private industries have contributed in building the Astra weapon system. Dr S. Venugopal, Programme Director led the launch operations and flight trials along with the teams from multiple organisations.

The Defence Minister Smt Nirmala Sitharaman congratulated DRDO, IAF Air Force, Defence Public Sector Undertaking (DPSU) and industries for the successful trials of ASRTA Missile. Chairman DRDO and Secretary Department of Defence (R&D) Dr S. Christopher congratulated the ‘Team Astra” (DRDO, IAF, DPSU & Industries) for developing and flight testing such a formidable class of weapon system. Director General, Missiles and Strategic Systems Dr G. Satheesh Reddy, said the technologies developed under the programme will be the building blocks for development of more variants of Air-to-Air and Surface-to-Air Missiles.

http://pib.nic.in/newsite/PrintRelease.aspx?relid=170810

We now have proven IIR,RF seekers on Nag, Astra, AAD, PDV, QRSAM. :cheers:

[​IMG]
    @Gessler @PARIKRAMA @nair @Sancho @kaku @Abingdonboy @Zer0reZ @MilSpec @bharathp @lca-fan

Angel Eyes, Sathya, Schwifty and 10 others like this.
  4. X_Killer

X_Killer Captain FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    [​IMG]
    All the 7 Astra BVR was deployed & tested with indigenous Ku Band RF Seeker..

Angel Eyes and Blackjay like this.
  5. nik141993

nik141993 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    missile look little different

[​IMG]
    Old missile uniform surface

[​IMG]
    New missile with larger diameter central section.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2017
  6. Sancho

Sancho Lt. Colonel IDF NewBie

You are not understanding your own source, not me.

7. GuardianRED

GuardianRED Captain FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India

Old video - Aero India 2011 (sorry if posted before)

Speaker talks about Missile Development - ie the stages, towards the end - talks abt Astra Mk2 (PLS DO WATCH!!!)

+ This

Astra 2011.jpg

8. shaktimaan

shaktimaan Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    but i am not able to find the extract in news which says the same, can you point out.... and the Indian seeker was going to be use in mk2..right?

9. nik141993

Country Flag:
    India
    [​IMG]

Sancho likes this.
  10. The enlightened

The enlightened Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

I-Derby-ER hasn't been ordered, only offered. So Tejas is still lugging the 50 km range Derby. Following your reasoning, both Derby and MICA which have less range than Astra would 'not be used for operational use, because of range limitations' but as we see reality is different.

Besides neither Astra nor Tejas have completed their development. Claiming the absence of Tejas integration as proof of its inadequacy is absurd.

11. Sancho

Sancho Lt. Colonel IDF NewBie

Wrong, it's under integration for LCA to pass the IOC/FOC requirements and if you check @Blackjays post:

http://indiandefence.com/threads/in...ommercial-production.57128/page-2#post-594184

You will see that the test of 2 more missiles are scheduled, so we might see LCA in action too and probably with it's Israeli missiles.

You clearly haven't read my reasoning properly, because the point was that the new missile should be able to offer the same or better range / capability, than the one it replaces. I-Derby is the replacement for R77, that initially should be integrated on LCA, MICA is the replacement for Matre / Magic missiles on the Mirage 2000. In both cases, the new missiles are better, therefor offering IAF more capability. You guys need to read properly and stop making judgements based on things that I never said.

12. The enlightened

The enlightened Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Wrong.... as usual :smile:

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/a...issile-test-after-i-derby-integration-439175/
    http://www.janes.com/article/67741/...r-derby-mk-iii-under-make-in-india-initiative
    And what exactly does Blackjay's post explain?
    Besides refuting your own points so far
    Derby doesn't offer better range than RVV-AE. Besides nobody is replacing R77 with it. Perhaps you should read your own posts clearly before advising others to do so.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
  13. bharathp

bharathp Developers Guild IDF NewBie

Country Flag:
    India
    mk2 will also have indie seeker. the astra initially had imported seeker (r-77's seeker from russia) but the project was fast tracked to keep it fully indigenous:
    could not copy the article as it says I need to have written permission. please check the article at idrw.

idrw.org .Read more at India No 1 Defence News Website http://idrw.org/indigenous-seeker-for-astra-bvraam-cleared-trials/ .

Blackjay likes this.
  14. Agent_47

Agent_47 Admin - Blog IDF NewBie

Country Flag:
    India
    You keep ignoring my question and quoting different sources to prove what? i never said they are wrong but i questioned the parameters. (altitude,target size, mode of attack)

You keep saying 'official figure' while i did the same from drdo websites and official PR Which are irrelevant without knowing actual conditions. The poster i presented above even quote the range as 12km for tail chase.

lol, again ignoring the point. I bought up MICA to compare range which you asked for (While ago you where denying that too !). Are you saying MICA and Astra are not comparable as missiles?

You did presume Astra to be inferior to 90s RVV-AE without any evidence. You don't even remember what you said (second time). Now who is emotional.

15. nik141993

Country Flag:
    India
    IMG_20170915_201522.jpg
    New ASTRA

IMG_20170915_202400.jpg
    Old ASTRA

Schwifty and Sancho like this.