Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

India’s First BVR Missile Astra on Verge of Commercial Production

Discussion in 'Indian Military Doctrine' started by SilentSpectator, Nov 26, 2016.

1. Ved Mishra

Ved Mishra Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    If the decision is purely performance the Gripen has advantage with meteor. I have a feeling after NS as defence minister the prospect of Gripen has increased.

2. Sancho

Sancho Lt. Colonel IDF NewBie

Amazing how people argue without reading their own sources.

You just confirmed what I said.

Lol you didn't even read my reply to you or his post? :biggthumpup: Have a nice weekend

3. The enlightened

The enlightened Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

What is amazing is that you still don't understand the difference between I-Derby and I-Derby-ER and continue to make a fool out of yourself despite being spoon fed with multiple sources

Here let me try again

GSLV Mk III likes this.
  4. Sancho

Sancho Lt. Colonel IDF NewBie

Not really, you questioned me, because I stated something against and indigenous development. Otherwise you hardly can question the one source that must have all the most reliable figures, MoD!
    And as I said, I have no need to doubt them, so why should I go into a discussion on altitude, which neither of us can prove, or that will chance the official figures?

So don't blame me for merrily posting official figures and stating something obvious, that IAF should induct new weapons only if they offer the same or better performance.

Because these are the most official and latest figures I have seen so far and I highly doubt that the MoD or the Chief of DRDO would purposely give out wrong figures. Also both are not PR either!

I know why you brought it up, just as you brought up Meteor, but as I keep saying, they have no relation to each other, because MICA is not considered for our Russian fighters or LCA. If they would be, I would point out the same thing that I said for Astra as well, that the new missile should offer the same or better performance.
    Evidence for what? I posted the range figures for Astra.
    And for the reliability issue, that you brought up, I only said that it can only be judged over time in operational service. So there is no inferiority implied either, you just keep assuming that everything I say must be negative. :wink:

5. lca-fan

lca-fan Major SENIOR MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Homegrown missile 'Astra' propels India to 6th world power in defence
    By Hemant Kumar Rout | Express News Service | Published: 16th September 2017 03:06 AM |

Last Updated: 16th September 2017 10:40 AM | A+A A- |

[​IMG]
    Beyond Visual Range Air-to-Air Missile Astra | Express Photo Service

BHUBANESWAR: India’s quest for a complex air-to-air missile system seems to be over as after 15 years in the making Beyond Visual Range Air-to-Air Missile (BVRAAM), Astra has completed developmental trials.The homegrown missile capable of detecting and destroying highly manoeuvrable targets, moving at a supersonic speed, will soon be inducted in the armed forces making the country sixth nation in the world to have such capability.

Final round flight trials were successfully conducted from Sukhoi-30 MKI fighter aircraft by Indian Air Force (IAF) over the Bay of Bengal off Odisha coast. Altogether seven missiles were fired against Pilotless Target Aircraft (PTA) during the last four days.Defence sources said, the missile was fired at very long range and different altitudes. It successfully engaged high manoeuvring targets at medium range while multiple launches of the missile were carried out in salvo mode to engage multiple targets.

All the sub-systems, including the indigenous Radio Frequency (RF) seeker performed accurately, meeting all the mission parameters and objectives. Two missiles were also launched in the combat configuration with warhead and the targets were neutralised.Director General of Missiles and Strategic Systems Dr G Satheesh Reddy said, state-of-the-art technologies developed under the Astra programme will be the building blocks for development of more variants of air-to-air and surface-to-air missiles.

Earlier, the IAF was mostly dependent on Russian and Israeli air-to-air systems to meet its battlefield requirements. Once inducted, the all weather and all terrain Astra missile could be the mainstay of the nation’s territorial air defence in its category.

Developed by Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), first ground test of the missile was conducted in May 2003. While it was test fired in the night and in inclement weather in June 2010, first trial from a fighter aircraft was carried out in May 2014. The missile was fired against an actual target in 2012 when it destroyed a drone.

Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) has played a role in modifying the aircraft for weapon integration. More than 50 public and private industries have contributed in building the Astra weapon system which has a strike range of 20 km to 100 km. Programme Director, Dr S Venugopal led the launch operations and flight trials along with the teams from multiple organisations.

Meanwhile, Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman and DRDO Chairman and Secretary of Department of Defence (R&D) Dr S Christopher have congratulated DRDO, IAF, Defence Public Sector Undertaking (DPSU) and industries for the successful trials of Astra missile, a formidable class of weapon system.

http://www.newindianexpress.com/nat...ia-to-6th-world-power-in-defence-1658008.html

Sancho and Sathya like this.
  6. nik141993

nik141993 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
  7. MilSpec

MilSpec Mod MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    @Agent_47 @Sancho offtopic.

during a casual lunch with an acquaintance quite a few years ago, he had quipped that he would pick the R27ER over the rvv-ae any day. Given he was one of the gentlemen who had test fired the exorbitantly priced system, after a long wait when the first batch was bought, the initial thought was R77's have some serious accuracy and quality issues. It had quite perplexed me that we would pick RVV AE seeker for astra, when the best radar seeker on a missile can be found in tel aviv. Something tells be there is some derbisky in the astra masala.

Sancho, Hellfire, Agent_47 and 3 others like this.
  8. lca-fan

lca-fan Major SENIOR MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    India has received Seeker Technology for various missiles from Israel for $2 billion (very cheap I would say as it is not available since no one sells). So you could be correct in a sense.

Hellfire and Blackjay like this.
  9. Agent_47

Agent_47 Admin - Blog IDF NewBie

Country Flag:
    India
    You missed the news of newly tested lot having indian seeker? Someone misjudged DRDO capabilities if its true.

10. ni8mare

ni8mare FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
  11. Blackjay

Blackjay Developers Guild IDF NewBie

Country Flag:
    India
    @Agent_47 Can you make this thread a sticky???
    Their should be a dedicated thread for Astra, it's future variants or Air to Air missiles in general.

Agent_47 likes this.
  12. ni8mare

ni8mare FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
  13. Agent_47

Agent_47 Admin - Blog IDF NewBie

Country Flag:
    India
    This will be merged with Missile and munition thread in time.

Blackjay likes this.
  14. randomradio

randomradio Colonel REGISTERED

The R-27ER significantly outranges the RVV-AE. It is also faster because of a larger motor and has a big seeker. I'm pretty sure this gent was actually hinting about the R-27EA, but he couldn't say it directly. The RVV-SD and the follow-on K-77M are much more interesting. The K-77M comes with an AESA seeker and dual pulse motor.

We chose the R-77's seeker because we bought thousands of these missiles and the Russians were willing to part with their seeker tech for Astra. The others were not so comfortable doing this. It was designed when we were playing with nukes after all. But we are using our own indigenous seeker for the production variant. It uses a Ku band seeker, was tested only this year. Astra is 100% indigenous.

GSLV Mk III likes this.
  15. randomradio

randomradio Colonel REGISTERED

The range of the missile is much higher than what has been quoted on this thread.

In a head-on profile at the same altitude, the range is as high as 100-110Km at heights above 15Km. At a height of 25Km, the range is even higher and the missile achieves its fastest speed of mach 4.5 at this altitude.

Basically, it surpasses the capabilities of the RVV-AE. The newer Astra Mk2 will have a dual pulse motor and much greater range than Astra Mk1.