Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

India's K-15 Ballasic Missile tasked to take out China's Aircraft Carrier 'Liaoning'

Discussion in 'Indian Navy' started by HariPrasad, Apr 17, 2017.

1. HariPrasad

HariPrasad Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Avinash chander in an Interview said that India is developing a medium range anti ship ballastic missile. First thing struck my mind was a shaurya based missile with some seeker. The description of Pralay matches that of what Avinash chander had mentioned. It remains to be seen whether Pralay gets and anti ship variant or not? It seems that some members know the detail but do not want to divulge on open forum. However if we have such weapon than it will be an @$$ kicking capability. Unlike the chinese DF21, we shall be able to launch the same from land as well as from submarine. I am fully in favor of making a K4 based such system by which we can target enemy aircraft carrier when they are too far. They will always be in our range even when they are at high sea or patrolling their own area.

2. randomradio

randomradio Mod Staff Member MODERATOR

Why?

No, there will be size constraints.

3. Aqwoyk

Aqwoyk Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Chinese a/cc wont be coming here for fighting though it might dock at Pakistani ports for some visits and making headlines in news . Their a/c ships will be there in SCS to deter US task forces and we need these Shaurya type missiles for taking out PLA and Plaaf bases / HQ9 / hq16 missile sites in TAR and we cant waste them on countering CBGs. We also have Laughing stock waali manufacturing capacity when it comes to mass manufacture of high tech missiles .

4. Hellfire

Hellfire Devil's Advocate Staff Member MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    Ok!!

Before we go too far away, I want one of our experts here to tell me, where the hell with China get it's Air Craft carrier into Indian Ocean from? CPEC?

There is only the Sunda Straits and Indonesia will show them a big middle finger and US fleet sits there; along with Indians playing seafarers :D

Now, will it be through Malacca? LOL

It is a joke that is tickling me.

They can, of course, station a CBG at Gwadar in the colony there. Also at Djibouti; as neighbours to US.

Now I am really tickled @randomradio

5. nair

nair Die hard Romeo Staff Member ADMINISTRATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    If we go by our brothers in west....It will be docked in gawdar.... to protect Karachi.....

enquencher and Hellfire like this.
  6. A_poster

A_poster Captain FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India

Tracking problem: How would you actively track a CBN in ocean in real time? Conventional radars could not track beyond horizon. AWACS are useless beyong 200-300 Km range. OTH radars are not very useful tool as they have low resolution and could only tell general area of a CBG, if at all. Satellites have a limited arc of vision and Submarines have to break their radio silence if they transmit position of a CBG.

Data Link problem: How would you link data acquired to your missile in real time? I do not think any missile in existence has a real time data transfer facility beyond mid-flight phase.

Target acquisition problem: How would a missile acquire target in terminal phase? and how would it ensure a hit on a moving target? A warhead in terminal phase is practically bling due to heat generated and plasma layer which come to surround it. And maneuverability being inversely proportional to velocity is a basic physics law. For a warhead traveling at mach 15+ speed, small error or variation would cause large deflection in targeting.

Short range ASBMs are possible, but not long range ASBMs.

surya kiran likes this.
  7. Aqwoyk

Aqwoyk Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Shaurya is mach 7.5 missile not mach 16

8. layman

layman Aurignacian STAR MEMBER

Country Flag:
    United States
    CBG 'a are not sitting ducks anyways.

In a theater warfare sure you would need potent missiles in the subs.

Welcomed addition but there is a lot of questions/discussions on BM striking a moving target.

Though CBG can be tracked using Sats.
    Though targeting is a entirely different issue all together. Area of denial far too greater to manuvere the BM in terminal phase.

Hellfire and surya kiran like this.
  9. surya kiran

surya kiran 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Your assumption is that IN tactic is using BM for anti CBG operations, which is akin to the PLAN strategy. There-in lies the problem which I am trying to convey in the other forum too.

Hellfire and A_poster like this.
  10. Hellfire

Country Flag:
    India
    Guys, before you further proceed on a useless (sorry but it is) discussion here, please recall my query, where does China get it's CBG into IOR? And what are it's chances of even launching any kind of operations that India does not want it to?

I am seriously asking you to answer that aspect.

As for BM for CBG? I can assure you, it is a figment of imagination.

layman likes this.
  11. surya kiran

Country Flag:
    India
    I would love to hear @vstol jockey vishesh tipnees without telling us details. But then koi bachon ka khush nahin karta.

12. surya kiran

Country Flag:
    India
    Have you seen the Marvels movie? It flies. The only sure shot way to take out a CBG with a BM is a freaking nuke.

13. Hellfire

Country Flag:
    India

Are you seriously derailing a very serious query of mine or is it meant as humor? :undecided:

I am urging members here, to really understand the logic of my query.

14. Hellfire

Country Flag:
    India
  15. Hellfire

Country Flag:
    India
    Anyone care to expand? Please?