Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

INDIA'S Legends and Historic Events.

Discussion in 'General Multimedia' started by SajeevJino, Jan 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SajeevJino

SajeevJino Major SENIOR MEMBER

Havildar Yash Vir Singh Tomar , Vir Chakra

[​IMG]

2 Rajputana Rifles

The Tomar Way
    Mission: Atop Tololing,
    he charged an enemy bunker and threw 18 grenades. He was found dead later, in one hand grenade and assault rifle in the other..........

Havildar Yash Vir Singh Tomar , Vir Chakra

In Sirsili they do not weep, even silently, for their dead. They smile instead. It is not easy, but in this Rajput village in Baghpat, Uttar Pradesh, where pride and honour comes before death and defeat, Girwar Singh Tomar, 70, is following tradition. He's completed the last rites of his eldest son, Havaldar Major Yashvir Singh Tomar. The youngest, Harbir of 2 Jat Regiment, is there in the high passes. All that the senior Tomar, smiling wanly, will say is, "Tradition does not allow our menfolk to come back defeated from the battlefront. They must do or die."

Such are the ways of the Tomars. On June 12, there were 11 of them from Charlie company of 90 men whose mission was to capture Tololing Top, a crucial, well-defended peak. Lt Praveen Tomar, 23, the youngest of them, remembers what a sombre Yashvir had said:
    "Sahib, gyarah ja rahe hain aur gyarah jeet kar hee lautenge
    (Sir, 11 Tomars are going; 11 will return only after victory)."

It was a brutal night and a third of the company was dead and injured. At 2:30 a.m. with desperation setting in, Yashvir collected all the grenades of his men and charged the deadly bunker holding up victory. He got there and tossed 18 grenades and silenced the bunker. When they found Yashvir he lay still, shot in the head and chest, grenade in one hand, assault rifle in the other. Tololing Top had fallen. It is one of the most daring actions of the war. Tomars of Charlie company found victory and returned -- only they were one short.

1 person likes this.
  2. tunguska

tunguska Major SENIOR MEMBER

Great story. And supreme sacrifice by Yash Vir Singh Tomar for our motherland.

Brave Raj Rif " Veer Bhogya Vasundhara"

3. SajeevJino

Kargil War Hero Capt. AMIT BHARADWAJ

[​IMG]

Capt. AMIT BHARADWAJ 'Annu' the real son of mother India, was born on 4th March,1972.

At the birth of their only son Capt. Amit Bharadwaj's mother Smt. Sushila Sharma and father Shri O.P. Sharma's happiness knew no bounds. His Grand mother Mrs. Rampyari Sharma, and Grandfather, Mr. Jaidev Prasad Sharma, seemed to burst with happiness at the glimpse of the bright face of their grandson. They rejoiced Jolly Capt. Amit Bharadwaj's birth.

Capt. Amit Bharadwaj's ambitions, right from childhood were unprecedented. He always dreamt of unusual excellence. He was not untouched with the Charismatic powers of the then leaders. He was an outgoing student of St. Xaviers School, Jaipur. Even at the age of 7, he had pulsating sympathy for poor people. He used to donate some part of his pocket money, at such an age, when children are quite reluctant to share their possessions. He always made his mark from the initial stages of life. He was a remarkable Table-Tennis and football player. His politeness which was an added virtue, had won the hearts of his teachers and schoolmates. Not only when he was in School, but even after passing out, he did commendable jobs as a member of St. Xaviers Old Boys Association.

He took his bachelors degree from University of Rajasthan. His aptitude was a blend of kindness and courage. Amit wanted to soar high in the sky like a bird.

He was recruited in the year 1997 and duty bound, executed his first posting at Pithorgarh. He was in 4 Jat Regiment. From June 1998, he got his new posting at Kaksar area of Kargil. He executed his duty sincerely, and devotedly till the very end. He ventured to go and search Saurav kalia on 17th May 1999, the new officer, for whom he had quoted to his sister "Now I have a bachcha(kid) who will do all the work for me, and I will have someone who calls me Sir" being the senior Subaltern, Capt. Bharadwaj felt "Immensely Responsible" for the junior officer, and taught him all the traditions and history of the Paltan. Little did he know, that he will lay down his life for that "Little Kid in the Paltan". Capt. Amit, always ready to take the lead, took the initiative. He led a search party of around 35 soldiers. On reachingthe Bajrang post, he realized that the number of enemies were much more than they had anticipated. Taking a quick decision, he ordered his men to retrieve back and report to the base camp for help. He himself took the task of providing them cover-fire. He was fighting like a true, brave soldier, Capt. Bharadwaj saved nearly 30 of his men and killed more than 10 infiltrators, though he himself was hit twice fighting till the last breath. His body lay in deep valley of Himalayas, till it was retrieved on July 13, 1999- 56 days later.

His weapon was found in his hand when his body was recovered. He had fought till his last breath.

Capt. Bharadwaj's Parents who were in Jaipur did not lose hope till the end and refused to believe that their son had attained martyrdom."I believe he is still fighting the enemy out there." were his Father's (Retired from a senior post from Reserve Bank of India, Jaipur) words to the endless stream of the 'well wishers', who came to offer their condolences. In all these days, the phone did not stop ringing and the family spent each day waiting for news from their son, till their worst fear was confirmed. Capt. Amit Bharadwaj's parents were not ready to confirm their fears, which eveloped them and considered it as a hallucination ...............

He was fascinated by the charm of martyrdom, as revealed by his words to me on his birthday i.e. on March 4 199 two months before he attained martyrdom, while paying homage to Martyrs at India Gate, "I wish my name would also appear in this list some day". He was not aware that he will be a martyr just after 2 months and touch the glory.

4. SajeevJino

Shaheed Major chandrashekhar Singh

[​IMG]

this legend died in last day cheetah crash in siachen
    Rest in Peace soldier

5. SajeevJino

Major Padmapani Acharya,Maha Vir Chakra, posthumously

[​IMG]

A few days before the capture of Tololing Top, Major Acharya wrote a letter to his father in which he added a quote from the Bhagvad Gita which stated,

"Die, and you will win heaven; conquer, and you enjoy sovereignty of the earth; therefore, stand up, Arjuna, determined to fight."

On 28 June 1999, in the battalion attack on the Tololing feature by the 2nd Rajputana Rifles, Major Padmapani Acharya as a Company Commander, was assigned the formidable task of capturing an enemy position which was heavily fortified and strongly held with mine fields and sweeping machine gun and artillery fire. Success of the battalion and brigade operation hinged on the early capture of this position. However the company attack almost faltered at the very beginning, when the enemy's artillery fire came down squarely on the leading platoon, inflicting large numbers of casualties. With utter disregard to his personal safety, Major Padmapani Acharya took the reserve platoon and led it through raining artillery shells.

Even as his men were falling to enemy fire, he continued to encourage his men and charged at the enemy with the reserve platoon up the steep rock face. Unmindful of the hail of bullets from the enemy's bunker, Major Padmapani Acharya crawled up to the bunker and lobbed grenades. Severely injured and unable to move, he ordered his men to leave him and charge at the enemy while he continued to fire. The bunker was finally over-run and the objective was captured.

After completion of the mission, Major Acharya succumbed to his injuries. A few days before the capture of Tololing Top, Major Acharya wrote a letter to his father in which he added a quote from the Bhagvad Gita which stated, "Die, and you will win heaven; conquer, and you enjoy sovereignty of the earth; therefore, stand up, Arjuna, determined to fight." For conspicuous gallantry and supreme sacrifice, Major Padmapani Acharya was honoured with the Maha Vir Chakra, posthumously.

6. SajeevJino

Maj Ajay Singh Jasrotia,

[​IMG]

Service Number: SS - 36635A, 13JAK Rifles.
    Born on April 13, 1971, he was commissioned in Army in 1996 after graduating from Commerce College, Jammu. Born in a traditional army family, nationalism and patriotism was inhis blood. He preferred army to allthe elite services. His Father name is Mr Arjun Singh Jasrotia(DIG BSF)
    Maj Ajay Singh Jasrotia, moved with the unit for 'OP VIJAY' as partof 56 Mtn Bde. The unit was tasked to capture Pt 5140, which dominates the Srinagar-Leh Highway. Accordingly, an administrative base was sited at Drass. On 15 Jun 99, the location came under heavy enemy artillery shelling. The very first shell injured six OR and sent across a wave of shock and panic among other who desperately ran for cover. Maj Ajay Singh Jasrotia, immediately sensed the gravity of the situation, took charge and ordered all the troops to take cover within the area of the adm base. Thereafter, instead of takingcover, he attended to the casualties inspite of the continuing artillery shelling and arranged for evacuation of the wounded to safety. He organised troops into suitable groups and along with them, carried the soldiers on his back amidst heavy artillery shelling which continued unabated. During the evacuation of the casualties, a shell landed in close vicinity of Maj Jasrotia, injuring him seriously. With total disregard to his injuries, Maj Jasrotia continued with his task of evacuating the injured soldiers.This worsened his condition due to steady loss of blood, but inspiteof persistent persuasions by the troops, Maj Jasrotia refused to be evacuated even as life slowly ebbed out of him. He finally succumbed to his injuries, thus making the supreme sacrifice of his life, but not before he had sent six serious casualties to theirsafety, all of whom later survived

7. SajeevJino

Maj Sarvanan

[​IMG]

Major M Sarvanan, the hero of Batalik, was finally among friends. Martyred on May 29 after wresting two bunkers from the enemy, Maj Sarvanan’s mortal remains lay out of the reach of his men until July 3. All this while members of 1 Bihar, his unit, fought valiantly and desperately, having taken an oath to not only recover his body but also the Indian heights from the infiltrators. Success was theirs on July 3 when they brought the hero home.

Maj Sarvanan had led a platoon up the Jubar Hills on May 29. While he was able to take back two bunkers the rest of Jubar Hills was under enemy control. One of the platoon members accompanying Maj Sarvanan and the only one to survive the attack, was Naik Shatrughan. He was hit on his legs three times and it took him ten days to crawl back to base. He gave the unit the information of how Maj Sarvanan died after killing at least four of the enemy in hand-to -hand combat. Naik Shatrughan later died in the field hospital because of gangrene.

Maj Sarvanan is possibly the first officer to fall in the Kargil conflict. The attack led by him came in the early stages of the conflict when adequate information was not available. There was little artillery support and no aircraft cover.

The men in 1 Bihar took an oath after Maj Sarvanan’s death to fight to the finish and recover the heights. to the battle cry of

‘Bajrang Bali ki Jai’,

they launched subsequent offensives and the unit has not only taken the heights but is sitting atop the LoC. they captured Point 4058.

— he was an only son of his family

Along with Maj Sarvanan, two other bodies were recovered. These are of Naik Ganesh Prasad and Sep Pramod Kumar.

The wreath laying ceremony was conducted at Delhi Cantonment..

Nation's third highest wartime gallantry award VIR CHAKRA was awarded to Major Mariappan Sarvanan on 15th August 1999.

8. SajeevJino

Col Sonam Wangchuk, MAHA VIR CHAKRA

[​IMG]

When he ran out of bullets, he won the war with boulders
    Brave Major Sonam Wangchuk, MAHA VIR CHAKRA (Now Col)
    Somewhere in the freezing mountains of Kargil is a warrior and his men. At 18,000 ft where the thin air makes breathing ragged, every step an ordeal, Major Sonam Wangchuk, 35, and his band of 30-odd soldiers from the Ladakh Scouts are entering the realm of legend.
    He was not expected to fight the war and didn't even have enough ammunition to do so. His orders were to recee and return to base. But Major Sonam Wangchuk, the then company commander of one section of the Ladakh Scouts, rushed into the battlefront and notched up the first win for the Indian Army in the Kargil conflict.

"Members of the Ladakh Scouts know mountains like the back of their hands; a reason why they are entrusted with recee missions for other regiments operating at high altitudes," said the brave soldier, now promoted to the rank of a colonel.
    Our unit was the first to venture into the war zone with minimum information about enemy positions. We had no idea about their logistics or preparation," said Col Wangchuk, honoured with the Mahavir Chakra the second highest gallantry award in the country for his bravery.

"Generally, Ladakh Scouts does not fight wars. Our primary task is to maintain Indian domination at the Indo-China border. Thus, we carry minimum ammunition. At war zones, we set up Observation Posts and return to the base. At Kargil too, I set up an Observation Post (OP) at Batalik, deployed around 20 men from my unit to run the OP and touched base. But we were not aware of the heavy Pakistani presence just above our post. The next morning, my men at the OP came under heavy firing," he recalled.

While he could have stayed back at his base, Col Wangchuk decided to return with reinforcements to save his men. But even before he could reach the Observation Post, the second group was attacked too. "One of my boys, who was just behind me, was hit and died on the spot. We could not see the enemy, we were completely unguarded. But we kept fighting. When bullets fell short, we climbed to higher positions and rolled boulders on the Pakistani bunkers," he said.

Halting and charging ahead with dexterity, Col Wangchuk's men managed to gather information about enemy positions, climbing the 80-degree steep slopes as they fought.

While the company kept the enemy engaged for the entire day, Naib Subedar Thundup Dorje and Havildar Sonam Rigjin went beyond the enemy post to get more specific information. The company was planning a night attack. "We raided the enemy post at around five the next morning. We caught the Pakistanis napping," said the man, making it sound more like a safe computer game than an actual war.

The troops from Ladakh Scouts were briefed each day to go on unexpected missions with minimum time to plan and acclimatize to the terrain. They did not even carry radio sets and unlike other units, they never got artillery support. "When Ladakh Scouts won Batalik and Chorbat la, not a single artillery shell had been fired in the war.

These men were not even able to communicate with their bases. The company commanders had to issue orders by shouting, which made them even more vulnerable," said an Army officer, wishing anonymity.

But Col Wangchuk doesn't consider any of these feats extraordinary. A self-proclaimed man with "very little ambition", he terms these tales a part of military life. "Whatever the almighty has given me is enough. If I am destined to get more, I surely will with my hard work," said the strongly built man with a soft smile.

Maybe it is Col Wangchuk's Buddhist beliefs that keep him contended. "Even as the Army and the country was raving about his wins in Kargil, he treated it with little excitement and kept smiling through it all," said an Army officer, who knows him well.

But his 11-year-old son Riggyal Otbum has been greatly inspired by his father's bravery. Studying at a boarding school in Andhra Pradesh, Riggyal wants to be a sportsman like his father and a little more. "My son is more ambitious than me and often talks about becoming an astronaut," said the proud father.

Col Wangchuk doesn't even treat his Mahavir Chakra a big achievement. "A couple of years after I got the award, it felt good. But the novelty of winning a gallantry medal has been lost now. God has been merciful and if I get another chance, I will again do my best to prove myself," he said.

A peek into the past
    >>Major Sonam Wangchuk, the then company commander of one section of the Ladakh Scouts, rushed into the battlefront and notched up the first win for the Indian Army in the Kargil conflict.

>>He was honoured with the Mahavir Chakra â the second highest gallantry award in the country for his bravery and his fellow JCO and six other jawans, received gallantry medals.

>>His unit was the first to venture into the war zone with minimum information about enemy positions.

>>The troops from Ladakh Scouts were briefed each day to go on unexpected missions with minimum time to plan and acclimatize to the terrain. They did not even carry radio sets and unlike other units, they never got artillery support.

>>Generally, Ladakh Scouts does not fight wars. Their primary task is to maintain Indian domination at the Indo-China border.
    Salute to Brave man.

9. SajeevJino

Revolutionary Freedom Fighter .. Ram Prasad "Bismil"

[​IMG]

"सरफरोशी की तमन्ना अब हमारे दिल में है।
    देखना है जोर कितना बाजु-कातिल में है?"

Remembering Great Revolutionary Freedom Fighter .. Ram Prasad "Bismil" on his Birth Anniversary.

यदि देश के हित मरना पड़े, मुझको सहस्रो बार भी।
    तो भी न मैं इस कष्ट को, निज ध्यान में लाऊं कभी।।
    हे ईश! भारतवर्ष में, शतवार मेरा जन्म हो।
    कारण सदा ही मृत्यु का, देशीय कारक कर्म हो।
    I only regret that I have but one life to give for my country

10. SajeevJino

CAPTAIN HANEEF UDDIN, 24, VIR CHAKRA (P)

[​IMG]

Kargil Hero:
    Ek pal mein hai sach saari zindagi ka; Is pal mein ji lo yaaron, yahan kal hai kisne dekha (The truth of our lives is encapsulated in one moment; Live this moment, who knows what tomorrow holds).

CAPTAIN HANEEF UDDIN, 24, VIR CHAKRA (P)
    11 Rajputana Rifles
    Singer Soldier
    Mission: Attacked by intruders and bombarded by artillery, he and his unit, equipped only with small arms, fought to the end.

Captain Haneef attained martyrdom exactly two years after the day he was commissioned in the Indian Army. Having joined the army on June 7, 1997.

Haneef was posted at the Siachen glacier but was called to Turtuk when the war was declared. His batallion cut across the snowy peaks to push for the enemy-held heights.

He soldiered on despite artillery bombardment. Outgunned and outnumbered, he and his unit fought till the bitter end. His body was not recovered from the perilous ridges of Turtuk, until the war was over.

This son of soil was awarded the third highest gallantry award in the nation Vir Chakra for his supreme courage.
    It is difficult to miss the irony, in these lyrics of a song from an album cut by a remarkable singer-soldier, Captain Haneef Uddin. Haneef lived these lyrics -- written by his younger brother Sameer -- and even sang them to his troops. His impromptu "Jazz Band" spread his zest for life and music in the mountains, welcome relief for troops cut off from civilisation and television, fighting tedium and tension. "Whether up in the hills or down here with us, his music system remained his constant companion," says elder brother Nafees, 26, a physics teacher. Fun, cheer, song and courage. Those values, his family and colleagues say, describe the young captain who died fighting on a craggy mountainside in Turtuk, Kargil, on the same day that he was commissioned into the army two years ago. The strapping young man -- he was crowned Mr Shivaji in Delhi's Shivaji College -- was multifaceted, training in computers before joining the Indian Military Academy in 1996. He was commissioned into the army on June 7, 1997.

"As a soldier Haneef served his country with pride and dedication. There cannot be a greater statement on his valour than his death which came fighting the enemy."
    - Hema Aziz (mother)

his last call home Said he would be back for his birthday in September after collaring the enemy. Memories -- they are all that remain.

11. SajeevJino

Paratrooper Sanjog Chhetri

[​IMG]

Paratrooper Sanjog Chhetri of 9 PARA (SF) was part of a team tasked for carrying out operations on terrorist location at "Hill Kaka" (J&K) on 22nd April 2003.

Chhetri, who hailed from Sikkim, led his commando task force comprising of 20 personnel on a campaign against the terrorist hideout.

As he and his men approached them, the cover was broken and the party drew heavy automatic fire from the side of the militants.

Sensing grave danger to his men, Chhetri displayed extraordinary courage and broke the cover to rush towards the militant hideout.

He crawled 100 yards and charged into the mountain hideout killing a militant from point blank range. Though being hit on the shoulder, the young commando rushed into the hideout killing another militant and in the process he received multiple gun shots.

In a daredevil act Chhetri took out his commando knife and in a hand-to-hand combat killed the third militant while succumbing to injuries. Spurred by his courage, his colleagues launched a massive onslaught and killed 19 militants.

Late Lt Triveni Singh has been given Ashok Chakra for killing two militants who had attacked the Jammu Railway Station on Januaray 2 this year thereby avoiding a bloodbath of stranded passengers on the railway station.

Twenty-two year old Triveni, who was leading the quick reaction team acted swiftly and killed two militants who had attacked the Railway station. He was attacked by militants. But his last words before succumbing to injuries was to the General Command Officer that mission has been accomplished.

For his brave action Paratrooper Sanjog Chhetri was awarded the highest peace time gallantry award of ASHOK CHAKRA posthumously.

12. SajeevJino

Shaheed Captain Anuj Nayyar (MVC ,17-JAT)

[​IMG]

Shaheed Captain Anuj Nayyar (MVC ,17-JAT)

"We Sleep At Night With Wet Eyes With a Hope to Unite and Hug u So Tight That is How We proceed in Life"
    Nayyars, -Kargill Heights Filling Station.

At 9.30 in the morning, the phone rang and a restless Prof SK Nayyar hurriedly picked it up. It was from the brigade headquarters of his son Capt Anuj Nayyar. After the initial pleasantries, the man on the other side fell silent.

After more than a minute of ominous silence, Prof Nayyar asked, "Did he die fighting?"

"Not just the Indian Army but the entire nation is indebted to your son," the man replied.

Proud father, brave son:
    Prof SK Nayyar. The 17 Jat Regiment soldier Anuj was awarded Mahavir Chakra for his incredible bravery during Operation Vijay. But it was just the first frame of the story. Capt Anuj Nayyar went down while paving the way for his troops to take over the Pimple Complex in Kargil's Mushkoh valley with just a bayonet.

It was just plain luck that the daredevil got the job of leading his men to clear the Pimple Complex as the Charlie commander got injured and 23-year-old Anuj took over. After storming through enemy bunkers, Anuj braved heavy firing from the other side to silence the machine gun which had almost halted the Indian troops' advance.
    Before being hit by an RPG shell, Anuj had cleared all the bunkers.

The 17 Jat Regiment soldier was awarded Mahavir Chakra second highest gallantry award for his inspiring leadership and incredible bravery.

"He was a magnificent officer. He was like a true Jat soldier who never feared anything. As soon as the initial euphoria of the victory settled down we realised the biggest loss of our lives. The man who won us the post was not there to celebrate with us," said the then Delta company commander of the unit, Col Deepak Rampal, who was awarded the Vir Chakra.

Captain Anuj Nayyar called his father for the last time on the night of July 6, 1999 to inform him about his big mission in Operation Vijay. Before putting the phone down Prof Nayyar said, "Haar ke ghar mat aana warna goli maar doonga (Don't return without winning, or I will shoot you)."

Anuj knew his father meant what he was saying and he shot back a reply which still makes his father swell with pride. "He said, 'Papa aapka beta hoon. Haar ke aane ki baat soch bhi nahi sakta. (I can't even think of returning without winning.)'"

Prof Nayyar spends his days at the Kargil Heights the petrol pump he was given by the government as compensation for the martyrdom of his son. His office is decorated with the photographs and memoirs of his brave ward. "I and Anuj were like buddies. He was very close to me, I miss him every single moment," he managed a smile while saying that.

Even after 12 years people who come to get their vehicles filled at Kargil Heights ask Prof Nayyar about his son and the Kargil war.

Letterman
    Anuj used to regularly write letters from the warzone and in one of the letters he had written, "I am not that irresponsible that I will die without fulfilling my duties for the country. My army and this country has put so much faith in me, it would be a mistake to think of death at this time. Till the last enemy is there I will keep breathing."

13. SajeevJino

Capt Sanjeev Singh Jamwal, VrC

[​IMG]

Capt Sanjeev Singh Jamwal, VrC
    13 Jammu and Kashmir Rifles

A dare-devil officer, 'Jimmy' Jamwal proved his mettle twice during Operation Vijay, once during the capture of Point 5140 and then again during the attack to retake Point 4875.

As part of "Operation Vijay” on 20 June 1999 at 0415 hours, Captain Sanjeev Singh Jamwal was tasked to recapture point 5140 in the Drass Sector, an important feature dominating the Srinagar-Leh road which had been forcibly taken over and held by enemy intruders. The young officer approached the feature from the west along with his column and reached within assaulting distance of the enemy defence, maintaining total surprise. After reorganizing the entire company and visualizing no other option he motivated his men to attack the feature

Captain Sanjeev Singh Jamwal, leading from the front along with his buddy, physically assaulted the first enemy sangar. This took the enemy by total surprise and forced them into a hand-to-hand fight, resulting panic amongst them. After successfully clearing the first sangar, Captain Sanjeev Singh Jamwal further attacked the second sangar causing further attrition on the enemy.

In this act of valour Captain Sanjeev Singh Jamwal along with his column left six enemy dead and led to the recapturing of the important feature. Captain Sanjeev Singh Jamwal exhibited raw courage and true professionalism in the face of the enemy and was awarded Vir Chakra..

14. SajeevJino

1962 war memorial at Walong, Arunachal Pradesh

[​IMG]

15. KAUTILYA

KAUTILYA Lieutenant SENIOR MEMBER

LIVING LEGEND CAPTAIN BANA SINGH

[​IMG]

MANY SALUTATIONS TO YOU SIR!!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.