INS Vikramaditya Aircraft Carrier

Discussion in 'Indian Navy' started by tariqkhan18, Dec 10, 2011.

1. The Drdo Guy

The Drdo Guy Captain SENIOR MEMBER

That's why of all the congressi's I respect Indira.Because she really loved this country more than anything. I've read somewhere that Ruskies asked her to lease India for sometimes for a huge sum of money and percentage in every business but she declined the offer. I think i've read it in some book. It's an undeniable fact that from 2004-2014 our country was under foreign rule. PM italian, RM christian who's patriotism is doubtful because he never uttered a tough word leave alone the tough stance.

vstol jockey likes this.
  2. Averageamerican

Averageamerican Colonel ELITE MEMBER

Country Flag:
    United States
    Doesn't say much for Hindu's if they allow Italians and Christians to take over their country, with out firing a shot, now with 250,000 muslims rioting India is in big trouble.

3. The Drdo Guy

The Drdo Guy Captain SENIOR MEMBER

So once again you are trying to cite what Gandhi said about Hindus. No one can eliminate Hindus when we were under foreign rule for 1000 years then i don't think anyone can dare now. Yes, Hindus and Hindu organisations must remain vigilant.

4. randomradio

randomradio Mod Staff Member MODERATOR

No more discussion on religion. All posts will be deleted from here on out.

5. TickTickIndian

TickTickIndian BANNED BANNED

Country Flag:
    India
    You know the word, re-Christianed, don't use it. I've seen it many English daily, this word being promoted. Being a former Christian let me explain what that word means. There is a ritual in Christianity where someone who converted to Christianity is named after somone in Christian legend, like their certified saints. And the one who is named in this naming ceremony is called Christianed. It has nothing to do with our nation, it is being imposed.

6. randomradio

When you name a ship, it is termed as christening. Nothing to do with Christianity. You have a big problem dude. Get yourself checked.

And I did tell you not to get into religious topics anymore. Take it on another thread.

7. TickTickIndian

Country Flag:
    India
    It is exactly what it is. Google "christening". You should check before you preach. I connected it with it because it is one and it was odd to see our ships being "christened".

Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
    vstol jockey likes this.
  8. TickTickIndian

Country Flag:
    India
    It was really Lal Bahadur Shastri who was that man of great character. His name has been shown under the carpet by the Gandhi family precisely because of this. What I don't understand is why at Taskent, he declared that we'll move our troops back!

9. vstol jockey

vstol jockey Colonel STRATEGIST

Country Flag:
    India
    @TickTickIndian is correct. It was Gorshkov which got renamed as Vikky. So it was Re-named or Re-christened as Vikky.

10. randomradio

Dude, 22 minutes ago you didn't even know the right spelling for it.

When you speak English, it is called christening. So when you want to invoke a frigging Hindu God when naming your ship and you want to explain to your American friend what's happening, you are going to use the word christening, because that's the word for it.

The Bible is referred to as "the good book". So when you tell your someone "Lord of the Rings" is a "good book", you are not referring to Christianity.

You need a shrink.

11. randomradio

Christened is simply the word used to describe the naming of a ship, it was derived from Christianity, but has nothing to do with the religion.

We christen ships every day using Hindu ceremonies. It's just an English word, no different from pen or tree.

This is no different from words like noon and martyr which were first used in the Bible. The word for shahid in English is martyr. That's about it. No different from telling your friend you will meet him at noon, or 12 o'clock. You are no longer referring to Christianity there.

Even shamshaan ghat's English translation is cemetery. When we refer to a Hindu or Muslim shamshaan ghat, we use the word cemetery which is a Bible originated word.

Christening is a Christian ceremony for naming babies. But when it comes to naming ships it is just an English word, that has nothing to do with Christianity. No different from a noon or martyr or cemetery in India.

Don't get carried away by idiots. There was nothing correct in what he said.

12. vstol jockey

vstol jockey Colonel STRATEGIST

Country Flag:
    India
    Pls correct me if I am wrong. Christening includes the ceremony of Baptising a new born to Christianity. Christening includes bringing a person within Christianity while re-naming is just about giving a new name. Re-christened means a person who belonged to some other religion is converted to Christianity.

13. TickTickIndian

Country Flag:
    India
    The word christening is used solely for the anointing ceremony. The western civiliation uses it to refer to that alone. In the west, they refer such ceremonies to even non-persons. For example, some in the christian do anointing for their possessions like cars also, taking it to church, and the process is called Christening.

The apt name is "Naming ceremony", not "christening ceremony". You can explain it to Americans using this tag and they will understand. I think the journos simply copy without understanding, that is why these names float around, other than the missionary run papers promoting it.

14. TickTickIndian

Country Flag:
    India
    That is exactly so. And you get renamed in this. That is why Christians in our nation undergo a name change after changing religion.

15. randomradio

According to Christian religious customs, yes.

But in regular English-
    Christened = Formally give name to
    Rechristened = Formally rename to
    These are just English words. Eg: Akash and Neha's child was christened Ashok.

Basically, the British decided naming something can also be called christening under English language rules. Their language, their rules.

Indian Badminton League to be rechristened 'Premier Badminton League'
    Definition of “rechristen” | Collins English Dictionary
    1. (Christian Church) to christen or baptize (someone) again
    2. to give a new name to (a place, thing, or person), esp officially or formally ⇒ ■ In 1967 the Paris Herald was rechristened the International Herald Tribune., ⇒ ■ In three hours, 3000 Zulus died; the nearby river ran so red that it was rechristened Blood River.
    You refer to Christianity only when you are referring to the Christian naming ceremony. It has nothing to do with the second meaning of the word which was used in the statement with Vikramaditya.